Katrina

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Fafnir665, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

"It will cost 10s of billions to rebuild"

Is it even worth it at that point? Wouldnt it be cheaper to just abandon the city?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think building a whole new "New Orleans" might cost just a tiny, little bit more, don't you? Think about it some.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

New Orleans IS sinking.

Bourbon blues on the street loose and complete
    Under skies all smoky blue-green
    I can Forksake the dixie dead shake
    So we dance the sidewalk clean
    My memory is muddy what's this river I'm in
    New Orleans is sinking and I don't want to swim.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

To me knowing what the geophysical problems N.O. has I'd say pack eveyone up and move them to higher grounds away from the sea. Every time a hurricane approaches N.O. they are always going to become anxious and fear what might happen. To eliminate this from happening , move the people out. I'll net there's no insurance that's going to rebuild their city but guess who will.....that's right the taxpayers of America will. Americans will revuild their cityy and whenever another hurricane comes along Americans will rebuild it for them over and over. It's nice to know that Americans are that thoughtful to help a city that's sinking and is always in harms way.

8. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Actually, no I do not think it would cost more. For one, they have to clean up the entire area, rebuild the levees, and practically rebuild every water damaged house. Rebuilding NO is going to be like building a whole new city, except the existing structures are old and frequently very difficult to repair, which adds cost.

9. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

wtf does that have to do with anything?

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Fafnir - oil rigs in gulf are not producing due to the storm, prices have gone up.

11. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Okay, well, the "tens of billions" are refering to the city of New Orleans alone, nothing else. I still fail to see the relevance of your post.

12. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I guess everyone will make a question more complicated then it needs to be

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm wondering how many Muslim nations will chip in to donate money to help the victims of New Orleans and Gulfport? ...like we did to help the Indonesians, remember?

Baron Max

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What about the European cities along the Danube River? How many times have those cities been "rebuilt" after the Danube floods? ...almost every damned year, it seems! And Germany is not alone in joining Americans, either. Check out many, many other nations/cities that have rebuilt time after time when a natural disaster struck. No, ....it ain't just Americans, althought I'm sure you'd like to think so! ...LOL!

Baron Max

15. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Germany, 138,000 square miles with a population of 82,431,390.

Louisiana, 51,843 square miles with a population of 4,468,976.

Kinda easier to relocate for the people of New Orleans, no? America has vast, unhabited terrain. Even Louisiana itself is able to have a smaller population per square mile, unlike Germany. Some countries are just stuck where they are so they have no choice but to rebuild.

And please don't ask me to cite my sources for this either, lol.

- N

16. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Isnt NO a nice big harbor though

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You see N.O. os flooded and more water is coming in every second. Soon there will be only water there then what do you do build houseboats for everyone? Move the citizens out now before another hurricane coimes along in 20 more years and hits N.O. directly.

18. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

agreed.
    i alreayd have about 2 million.
    easy, tell them that the massive suicide services will take place in the US, they follow like michael m. would follow a trail of doughnuts leading to a Canabalistic Island.

19. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

uh yeah im going to need some sources

dont think those measurements are.. correct...

cough.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Y'all need to view these things with a little comparative perspective ....how long has New Orleans been in existence as a city .....and had no such horrendous disaster?

And yet most of you are calling for it to be abandoned? ...LOL!

Baron Max

21. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

50 years. Same thing happened in the 50s

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And how many times has the Danube River flooded? Or the Mississippi? Or the Ohio River? Or the Amazon?

One just doesn't abandon ones home because of a little disaster or flooding. But, of course, some of y'all would, I see.

Baron Max

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ahh, the powder probably causes cancer in rats if they're given doses of about 1,000# per day! And then they'll have to study it for another 1,000 years just to be sure it ain't no carcinogen.

Then, after it's approved, some guy in Podunk, Arkansas will die of heart disease, claiming that he looked at it or something, and they'll sue the manufacturer and take it off the market!!! Because the ACLU and other radical groups will claim and argue that it's better to save the life of one person than to save the lives of millions!

Baron Max