Just to balance thing out for the Pro Hindu topics....

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Muslim, May 28, 2006.

1. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

So an anti-Hindu topic is more constructive than a pro-Islam one?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

This is a section on Eastern Philosophy and not religion. People who do not know the difference should not start a thread and show their stupidity. It is a good idea to ignore such threads. There is a religion section separately if anyone wants to duke it out.

Thank you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How wonderful! To hear educated(??) Muslims making comments like this. I am a Muslim, too. This is how we are going to convince the world that all Muslims are not fascist fanatics. Congratulations! you have made my Ignore list.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Thank you sam for pointing out the obvious. Again I stress that let us use this section (Eastern Philosophy) as the philosophical aspect of the human condition. There is no reason why we can not discuss the similarity of western philosophy including Sufi-ism or any Islam philosophy. After all, when the Arabs took the zero from India, I am sure they must have picked up some philosophy from the East and modified or improved on them.

Granted there is the Hinduism as a religion and there is Hinduism as a philosophy (more precisely called Sanatana Dharma). Arguments over religion is a losing proposition because beliefs are hard to prove.

Any argument over Hinduism as a religion has already been done by Gautama Buddha himself - there is nothing new and it is a waste of time to do so. However, if one is itching to throw stones while living in a glass house...be my guest in the religion subsection.

Islam has deep roots in science, philosophy and culture. After all, it is the Islam culture that taught the Merchant Accounting system to the west including the Romans. It is sad that the children of Islam are growing up to destroy that!

Thank you sam for standing up to protect your great heritage. I salute you.

Salam Aleicum

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the support; I just wish more enlightened Muslims would contribute their opinions. In the current cultural climate, Muslims are in danger of being misunderstood; the ethics of Islam being confused with the laws and politics of countries which are Muslim dominated.

Random quotations from religious texts can be used to support any specious argument. And juvenile contributions from so-called defenders of the faith are contradictory to the sustenance of the religion. They only serve to shame those of us who want only the liberty to practise our faith as well as be productive members of a diverse society. I have good friends of all faiths and we choose to let our differences make our lives more interesting, rather than debate over which one of us is right or superior.

In the Bhagvad Gita it says,
    Whosoever comes to Me, through whatsoever form, I reach him;
    all men are struggling through paths which in the end lead to Me.

Amen

9. kmguru Staff Member

That is true, only when you use the metaphor "Me" in the context of the Creation of our reality. But even for Hinduism (as a religion) that is difficult to grasp for the ignorant. Same is true in every religion because 80% of the people have difficulty relating to their human condition and their relation to the Universe they live in.

This is not going to change anytime soon....I have a feeling that the world will plunge into the dark ages before it gets better. Perhaps we as a human specis are not blessed to live in harmony and enjoy this creation.

It is our common stupidity and arrogance that may cause our extinction - and a new specis will arise out of the ashes...or may be in the face of some serious external threat like a black plague.....we will come together....

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That was my interpretation of it. I am not very familiar with Hindu philosophy, this quotation is from a speech used by Swami Vivekananda at the World Parliament of Religions in Chicago on September 11th, 1893.

I think you are being generous

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Have you read East and West by Cyril Parkinson? Its an interesting review of human history from Sumerian times "to show that throughout its course, East and West have alternately been dominant, the periodic decline of one civilization creating a cultural vacuum that was filled by the adjacent rising culture."
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0313229554/102-0288854-5831357?v=glance&n=283155

Based on the premise presented in this book, you are probably right

Let's hope it doesn't come to that; either alternative sounds incredibly bleak.

11. kmguru Staff Member

The same thing is slowly happening in America. We are slowly falling the way of Argentina which just a few decades ago was a rich and prosperous society. Several thousand years ago, China and India was at their pinacle, before that perhaps Babylonia...It is now the turn of China and India, while the west gets destroyed in the Jihad Movement.

As someone said: May you live in the interesting times...and that time is now!

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It's a Chinese curse, I believe

13. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

samcdkey

I am glad you are Indian and really appreciate your views and the ability to speak the truth out. You are like our own old Kalam!

Apologies if my posts elsewhere weren't in good taste. You will understand they were merely aimed at countering "Muslim" and don't really reflect my opinions of Islam or muslims.

Thanks.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh I am not sensitive, but it amazes me how people can bury their heads in the sand or get myopic vision regardless of the religion they belong too. I was born in India and my cultural and personal identity is closer to any Indian (Hindu, Muslim, Christian) than to an Arab or a Malaysian.

How can anyone else comprehend the joys of bhelpuri and puchkas, nariyal pani and sugarcane juice, Diwali patakas, the melas and dargas, Holi, Mohammed Rafi, Dev Anand, Dandias, Mehndi, wedding dhamakas and of course the whole Bollywood craziness ( with excuses to non-Indians) or even the type of friendships we cultivate.

Living in the US, I appreciate these things even more. They may seem trivial by themselves, but they belong to us in a way they never can belong to someone who has not experienced the depth and variety of the Indian society.

Being a Muslim in India has never been a mutually exclusive proposition for me.
    Anyway, if something about a culture or people offends you, make your life easy and move to a place that has your admiration and support. Actually living with the people whose principles you claim to uphold may be an eye opener in many ways not bargained for. And if its not, why then, you have found your niche and I wish you all the best!

15. kmguru Staff Member

Well said sam...I grewup in a Muslim and Christian neighbourhood and have beed exposed to both friends. Later I made some American Iranian friends who said...they are Persian first, Muslim second. My Indian Muslim and Sikh friends say the same.

This is perhaps due to high level of education among these people. Now only if we can educate the people that have extremist views, be they Muslims, Christians or Hindus....the world would be a better place....

My extended family has people from all faiths including Mormons...so I do not bash any of them...variety is the spice of life

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I had the same experience, as did my parents; I think that is what separates the thinking. Seclusion and separation breeds distrust and suspicion and its easy to deride and mock someone whom you never meet or associate with. Harder when you meet him everyday, share meals and family outings or babysit the kids and sit down to dinner with.

Wish it was so simple; I have met very highly educated people who leave me speechless with shock. And some very simple, very uneducated people who put the educated to shame.

Ya but everyone is dieting these days and rich food does not agree with them any longer.

BTW, I am not familiar with Mormons. What kind of philosophy do they follow?

And in reference to your earlier post re: East and West, it seems to me that right now, at this point in history, both the east and west are simultaneously facing a cultural decline. Everyone is focused on Carpe Diem, and there is a general lack of responsibility (?apathy) towards the future. What do you think?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

18. Rick Valued Senior Member

Kmguru, arguments can be made against what you said, extremism deserves an answer with extremeism; we all know what happens in Israel where palaestenians bomb everyday, we all know what happens in Kashmir everyday where innocents are killed without any reason or cause;

in this world, you have to have an army of Boondock saints.

Rick

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

20. Rick Valued Senior Member

i dont buy it.

(I can argue and prove your statement wrong, but i am not in mood for Elenchos)

Rick

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You believe terrorism is justified? You think bombs can identify people by their religion?
    IMO, the actual victims would much rather have stayed out of the mess.

Throughout history, terrorists have used religion to justify killing; their ideologies however are not supported by any religion.

Whether the terrorists were Muslim, Christian or from other faiths, the backlash of their attacks have been felt by innocent women and children (and men), who did not subscribe to their propaganda.

There were Muslims among those who died in the twin towers; there are Iraqi Christians who are dying in the war against terror. It is never about religion, only about power.

We no longer live in an exclusive society, I have friends and relations in many parts of the world and when there is an incident of this kind, it is their safety I think of. I grew up in a cosmopolitan society and have been fortunate in friends of all religions.You are welcome to your views, but I would not want the next attack (from anyone) to hit a place where I had a loved one.

22. Rick Valued Senior Member

no sir, i dont support terrorism, neither do i say anything about those religious fanatics, but i do support people who while seeing a screaming woman whose being gang raped, go and beat up the rapists, i support those kinds of people. You didnt get the point as i mentioned boondock saints.

there is no justification for killing innocent people, but those who kill innocents must be punished, but who is to say that my knowledge is perfect and i can make decisions since my knowledge is absolute... because i cannot make such decisions, i am incapable. But remember, throughout the history there have been wars waged against wrong, and evil in general, but i have a completely different viewpoint on that subject. my hands hurt a little while typing, too much coding sorry :-\

Rick

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You are right, if I saw a woman being raped, I would knock down the buggers too, but I wouldn't kill them, instead I'd cut off their dicks in half, that way I'd only go to prison for a short time and I could think of them everyday with only 50, maybe 25% of their dicks and enjoy it all over again. I've spayed cats and dogs, so I'd be very good at it; might even relieve them of one testicle; you cannot believe how easy it is

But I'm not very tolerant where violence against innocent men women children are concerned; I'm a woman, but I've beat up some men pretty good for eve-teasing or cruelty to animals. When I'm

look out!!! Very bad example,im afraid.

So you see we are on the same side.