Jupiter to spit out new planet on July 4?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by MetaKron, Jun 8, 2006.

1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

It might imply that the dating systems have some connection. It's established by now that there was trade between the New World and the Old World before Leif Ericson, and that was between South America and Egypt. Something made someone decide that the first day of the new year was a particular day. The fact of the solstices being almost but not exactly at the end and midpoint of the calendar year is a legitimate puzzle. The solstices would have to be part of the Mayan calendar, so there may lie the connection that makes for the numerical coincidence.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Reading about the fantasy that Jupiter may "spit out a new planet" to Mayan cosmology - how did we arrive at this point?

So, where is this new planet then?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

Yeah...cool. One planet can spit out another...kinda sweet. Kinda makes our reproductive organs kinda...I dunno...symbolic, donchya think?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

ZOMG GIANT PENISES

If someone makes a movie based on Venus wanting to mate with Earth, I want commission.

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Ha! I totally forgot about this thread after I last posted in it.

So. Where's the new planet?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Just nipped out for a pack of cigarettes and a couple of pints. It said it'd be back for 9 tonight. It wanted to get to know the neighbourhood before picking somewhere to settle down.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Did the spots at least merge as predicted?
    Did they pass?
    Did anything at all happen?
    Is there any footage?

I was going to follow this and was even planning on taking my telescope out that night, but I have been running arouing like a nut the past few weeks (it was vacation time from work and I was bouncing around from state to state).

11. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

12. Genji Registered Senior Member

How can Jupiter 'spit out a new planet' when Jupiter isn't a real planet itself?? It's just a big gas ball. How can a gasball give birth to a planet?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Jupiter is a planet in so much that its got a solid core

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

It DOES have a solid core?? Is it known how big it is?

15. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Genji:

Jupiter's solid core is slightly bigger than Earth.

If you read some of my other posts, you will see that some theorists have posited that the inner planets were once large gas-ball giants, not quite as large as Jupiter, but which lost their Hydrogen blankets in the early history of the solar system due to nearby OB stars' high UV output volatilizing the Hydrogen (and the same goes for the moons of Jupiter, Saturn, etc.), leaving behind the rocky core which is circa 0.1% of the original mass.

16. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Under that theory, Jupiter and the outer planets lost some 2/3rds of their original Hydrogen too, but were large enough, and far enough away from the solar wind, to retain some of their original Hydrogen.

17. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

So, if Jupiter is supposed to spit out thsi new planet, where does the mass for the new planet come from? The core? Do the spots even go that far down?

18. Genji Registered Senior Member

Fascinating. I had no idea.

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Please check some facts before spouting nonsense. On what basis is a gas ball not a planet. Jupiter and the other gas giants fully qualify as planets, with or without a solid core. Where did you acquire such a quaint notion that a planet had to be solid?

20. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

At the moment there's a fun argument over whether our solar system posesses eight, ten, or over thirty planets, basically because the term 'planet' has never been rigorously defined. I'd never seen anyone deny that Jupiter was a planet, though.

21. Vega Banned Banned

How many registered planets are there totally in the solar system???

22. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'll spout at will Mary. You'll have to adapt. If a gas ball is a planet then my farts are moons. In the Book of Genji a planet has to have a surface to qualify as a planet. Otherwise it's just dust. NEXT!

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

When a planet's core may be as hot as 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit, I doubt that it has anything like a solid core no matter what elements are inside it. I'm not the one who claims that Jupiter has a hot core or a cold layer of superconducting metallic hydrogen surrounding it. This is the current claim made by astronomers. To me these are made to order to incubate and eventually eject planets.

If the metallic hydrogen layer is superconductive, it should repel any charged mass, including plasmas, by diamagnetism. It should be able to insulate itself from the heat that way.