It's the 21st century CE, why do people still believe in ancient myths?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Yorda_7 Guest

(Q), you don't remember me, do you...?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

(Q), you don't remember me, do you...?

Have I met you before?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

I bear a striking resemblance.

I think it has something to do with my horns.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

~Raithere

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I think it has something to do with my horns.

I might have guessed.

It certainly doesn't look anything like Nelly Furtado.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Buddhism is identical to the teachings of Jesus, however not identical to Christianity.
    Sorry, MW, but there is proof of the existence of Jesus in Roman reports of his execution.

Yorda seems to understand it the best. They thought Jesus was arrogant to call himself God, because the OT taught them that there is some separation between people and a devine power. Since there isn't, that means that Jesus and you are equally devine. People couldn't handle this, so they created a complex mythology around Jesus that only required one to repeat a certain phrase or acknowledge some belief, thinking that this is what he wanted, it was easier than examining yourself.

9. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Don't be so sure.

~Raithere

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

hehe - where did the horns go?

11. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Please provide this evidence. Biblical quotations not accepted.

12. enton www.truthcaster.com Registered Senior Member

13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Enton, what you have provided is some evidence of the existence of Pontius Pilate - not Jesus.

This is NOT evidence of Jesus' existence.

Please try and provide actual documented evidence for the existence of JESUS - as requested by MW.
    It probably does exist in anecdotal evidence somewhere outside the Bible, although whether it is reliable is another matter.

14. enton www.truthcaster.com Registered Senior Member

That's not my problem anymore. Anyway, God chooses or calls anyone He likes. Whether there is Jesus the Christ or none but because Pontius Pilate had been mentioned outside the Bible and many other things earlier than the coming of Christ in flesh, like the King Sargon mentioned in the Bible, I cannot help but refer to the prophecies in the Bible which already come to their fulness. I accept the fact that I had not seen the Lord Jesus Christ in personal but the Bible's account met the accuracy of archaeological dig. Anyway, what matters for me much is the life beyond this life.

15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Bull-fucking-shit! It IS your problem, and you cannot dismiss it because you know you can't find the answer. Answer the fucking question and provide evidence for the existence of Jesus. Thus far, you have NOT provided any evidence for any of the questions posed to you. You are not a credible member of this forum. You are not going to be able to talk yourself around this one. You are a jackass. No biblical prophecy has ever been proven, not even by archeological digs, you moron.

BTW, I showed your posts to some Filipino nurses who work for me, and they were embarassed to know that you were Filipino! They also said Brother Eli is a fake preacher in your country and is in trouble with your government. Where's your Jesus H. Christ now?

16. enton www.truthcaster.com Registered Senior Member

That's very good M*W and you were beginning to scrutinize religions. And have you asked those "Filipino" nurses if they were sloppy and lazy?

17. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Consider your religion scrutinized to the max. I don't need to ask those Filipino nurses if they are sloppy and lazy. I evaluate them as I see them... er... that is, when I can find them.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The proof for the existence of Jesus is extrabiblical.

However, there is no way to prove what he actually said and of course, the resurrection.

19. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

The gospel figure of Jesus is a Jewish adaptation of the mythical godman found under many different names in ancient pagan mystery religions: in Egypt he was Osiris, in Greece Dionysus, in Asia Minor Attis, in Syria Adonis, in Italy Bacchus, in Persia Mithras. All the major elements of the Jesus story, from the virgin birth to the crucifixion and resurrection, can be found in earlier stories of pagan godmen.

The doctrines of reincarnation and karma were replaced by the irrational and unjust dogma that belief in Jesus is sufficient to absolve us of all our sins and secure us an eternity of heavenly bliss, while unbelievers will suffer eternal torment in hell.

The 'Gospel' story is merely an idealized fiction, written by Christian mystics in imitation of esoteric mysteries of the 'Pagans,' showing the initiation trials and tests of the candidate for initiation; and it is not very well done, there being much error and many mistakes in the 'Gospels.'

The 'Christ principle,' the awakened and glorified Spirit of Truth, being universal and eternal, the true Christos cannot be monopolized by any one person... We may learn from the Gospel according to Luke, that the 'worthy' were those who had been initiated into the mysteries of the Gnosis, and who were 'accounted worthy' to attain that 'resurrection from the dead' in this life... In other words, they were the great adepts of whatever religion; and the words apply to all those who, without being Initiates, strive and succeed, through personal efforts to live the life and to attain the naturally ensuing spiritual illumination in blending their personality -- (the 'Son') with (the 'Father,') their individual divine Spirit, the God within them.

This 'resurrection' can never be monopolized by the Christians, but is the spiritual birth-right of every human being endowed with soul and spirit, whatever his religion may be. Such individual is a Christ-man. On the other hand, those who choose to ignore the Christ (principle) within themselves, must die unregenerate heathens -- baptism, sacraments, lip-prayers, and belief in dogmas notwithstanding... He who finds Christos within himself and recognizes the latter as his only 'way,' becomes a follower and an "Apostle of Christ", though he may have never been baptized, nor even have met a 'Christian,' still less call himself one.​

20. Paul299 Registered Senior Member

There are many sources outside of christianty that referto Jesus, the talmud has a number of them
    plus those listed already above..

Also this quote from the ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA 15th edition 1974. should help clear
    up the matter:

"These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never
    doubted the historicity of Jesus, which was disputed for the first time on inadequate grounds by
    several authors at the end of the 18th, during the 19th, and at the beginning of the 20th
    centuries”.

21. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Neither of these are first-hand accounts. Josephus was born in 37 AD and Tacitus in 55 AD. Obviously, neither of these authors was witness to any events at the time of the crucifixion which would have occurred in 30 AD.

There are further problems with both accounts:

http://www.atheists.org/christianity/didjesusexist.html

~Raithere

22. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

The historical Jesus is an ongoing debate, unfortunately the evidence is stacked against a historical Jesus. Herewith the as yet still unrefuted "The Jesus Puzzle"

"Part One,
    "A Conspiracy of Silence," takes a detailed look at the pervasive silence on the Gospel Jesus of Nazareth which we find in almost a hundred years of earliest Christian correspondence. Not once does Paul or any other first century epistle writer identify their divine Christ Jesus with the recent historical man known from the Gospels."

The main site: http://pages.ca.inter.net/~oblio/home.htm

23. Paul299 Registered Senior Member

No unbiased historian has made any such claim- only the ignorant would believe any claim made
    by such people.

The number of inscriptions from tombs from the first and second century alone kill this lunacy.

Thallus, A Samaritan historian who wrote around 52 Ad of which we have portions of his
    whitens records the eclipse of the sun during the crucifixion and attempts to explain it away by
    some natral means ( even though it occurred during a full moon period)

below are some links one needs to look over.

Did Jesus Christ Really Live? Annotated and Corrected

Jerusalem Burial Cave Reveals:
    Names, Testimonies of First Christians

Jesus

If The Gospels Quote Other Sources, Does This Affect Their Validity?

HISTORY of the CHRISTIAN CHURCH*

The Gospels As Historical Sources For Jesus,The Founder Of Christianity