it is impossible to die

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by esoterik_appeal, Jun 6, 2005.

1. ogsniz Registered Member

I have thought the same thing

I started thinking about this theory after watching the movie "Revolver". Perhaps we are unable to experience our own death because it is like you said, our consciousness only lives in the universe or dimensional possibility in which we don't die. We are able to witness others die because we we only live in our own deathless universe, not theirs. But what about getting older? Eventually every possibility must end sometime right? Maybe that is what Alzheimer's disease is. They have reached such an advanced age that the consciousness of that person is jumping around so much. All of their universes are ending, maybe that is why they seem confused and lost. This is all just an idea and maybe would be better for a screenplay or and novel, but it is interesting to think about. There is really no way I could test this theory other than putting a gun to my head and pulling the trigger. Maybe the gun won't even fire, but there is no way I want to find out. Anyway, I have looked for a while to see if anyone else had thought of this and it's cool to see that I'm not the only one. Thank you for your posts.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The only reason you won't be able to experience your death is because you will be dead.. As in: no brain activity = no experience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Right. So, what happens in the instant before you lose the ability to perceive? Would that moment seem to be infinite, since you cant ne conscious of nothing?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

How sure are you that you cannot be conscious of "nothing"? Or that death leads to "nothing"?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I reckon it would be a lot like the second right before that. Anyhow, you'd probably be unconcious before you die. Have you ever been unconcious? I have. One second you're there, the next second you're not. You don't notice at all. I would bet it's the same with dying (appart from possibly the physical trauma of course).

9. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Regardless, extinctivists should indeed try to stay consistent with what falls out of their belief (unlike the percentage in the study below). In the context of neurobiology and/or whatever else they're deriving it from, there should not be either an awareness of total absence or the generation of a showing of "nothingness" to be cognized if the brain / body has ceased functioning.

Never Say Die: Why We Can't Imagine Death Why so many of us think our minds continue on after we die; by Jesse Bering
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/never-say-die/

[...] What was surprising, however, was that many participants who had identified themselves as having “extinctivist” beliefs (they had ticked off the box that read: “What we think of as the ‘soul,’ or conscious personality of a person, ceases permanently when the body dies”) occasionally gave psychological-continuity responses, too. Thirty-two percent of the extinctivists’ answers betrayed their hidden reasoning that emotions and desires survive death; another 36 percent of their responses suggested the extinctivists reasoned this way for mental states related to knowledge (such as remembering, believing or knowing). One particularly vehement extinctivist thought the whole line of questioning silly and seemed to regard me as a numbskull for even asking. But just as well—he proceeded to point out that of course Richard knows he is dead, because there’s no afterlife and Richard sees that now.
    [...]
    Here ... is the view at issue: When we die, what’s next is nothing; death is an abyss, a black hole, the end of experience; it is eternal nothingness, the permanent extinction of being. And here, in a nutshell, is the error contained in that view: It is to reify nothingness—make it a positive condition or quality (for example, of “blackness”)—and then to place the individual in it after death, so that we somehow fall into nothingness, to remain there eternally.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Fair enough C C, but my point was more "has anyone died and come back with memories of that nothingness"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I should be gone before any of you... I'll let you know how it all works. Hope they have Wi-Fi...