it is impossible to die

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by esoterik_appeal, Jun 6, 2005.

1. TheHeretic Registered Senior Member

Now why did you have to right a book, when you could have just used a sentence. Now I know what your saying. Saying that it is impossible to die with the idea of QI is a bit ridiculous, But saying that there are an infinite amount possiblities with the idea of QI is not so farfetched. But what makes you believe that quantum events affect the macro world.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. esoterik_appeal H. pylori Registered Senior Member

when it comes down to it, your consciousness is the structure and variance of energy patterns in your brain. it seems that these patterns would be vulnerable to quantum effects. remember, it isn't really the outside world that is in question, just which version of it you experience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

That can't be right, since we can only experiance one reality at a time, the other people we meet would be strangers if your theory were true. If I die in this reality then live in another then I will meet different people in the other reality, since in the first all those people would have experianced me dead.

All people should share the same reality (the same universe/timeline). Other "realities" might exist but only as options, they aren't real. One fallout must break the others, sure at the option they are all equally real, but when the pencil falls, it must fall only at one direction. There isn't a universe in which the same pencil fell in another direction. There isn't a universe where the same you did another choice.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. esoterik_appeal H. pylori Registered Senior Member

sure there is. and there are other universes in which you are dead. the people you know aren't strangers. they're the same people. you are the same person. it's the universe in which you died where things are different. but that reality doesn't matter to you anymore. just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it isn't there.

like i said, it's like hitting a wall and passing through it at the same time, which tends to happen a lot in the quantum world.

8. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Comsimctraveler's carping chiasmus and quoting:
    It is not the wax in the ear but the ear in the wax that is deaf to you.
    Ask not what life is but is life? that is more philsophical.
    Ask not what is grand but grand is? that is more intellectual.
    Ask not what my thoughts are, but are thoughts? that is more psychological.

Shutup.

On topic:
    Anything past experience is no longer experienced. To no longer experience is not to exist.
    To not exist is to say that when Death- an event- does exist there is no-thing existing for it to happen to.

So when death is not, we are.
    And when death is, we aren't.

9. TheHeretic Registered Senior Member

Esoterik you said that your brain is affected by quantum effects this statement i do find possible, but for alternate realities to exist these quantum effects must also affect the physical reality. Just because your brain is affected by quantum randomness doesnt give way to alternate realities. THat just means human actions are unpredictable.

10. Satyr Banned Banned

Who me or one of the other guys?

Perhaps some empiricism is appropriate here.

Die now and we’ll wait for the other you’s in the other realties tell the other me’s about it.

Jeez, that sentence gave me a nosebleed.

11. esoterik_appeal H. pylori Registered Senior Member

no wonder. the paradoxes abound. but that is your own doing.

methinks that you are looking at this the wrong way. physical reality is not affected. these realities exist because of the experiences realized by your brain. they are already possible, you stumble into them when your reality is cut short. you agree that your choices make a difference. "that just means human actions are unpredictable." there are other factors in your life, cosmic ones. but your actions shape the reality your happen to stumble into.

but you still don't die.

12. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

IT IS APPOINTED TO MAN TO DIE ONCE AND THEN COMES THE JUDGEMENT

13. TheHeretic Registered Senior Member

"IT IS APPOINTED TO MAN TO DIE ONCE AND THEN COMES THE JUDGEMENT" Lawdog take your religion elsewhere no one gives a damn.

14. TheHeretic Registered Senior Member

Do these other realities exist within each person or with in different universes

15. esoterik_appeal H. pylori Registered Senior Member

they are "created" depending on which set of probabilities you experience. but what makes them real, at least what we understand as real, is your experiencing them, whether they truly exist or not elsewhere.

16. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Again, this is all based on the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum physics, which isn't widely accepted. Most physicists agree that there is only this one universe, which means when you die that’s the end of things for you.

17. TheHeretic Registered Senior Member

Im going to agree with Nasor here, although your theory is plausible its highly unlikely and I see no reason why this would be true. Give us one good reason we should believe your theory to be true and not just some sci-fi fantasy.

18. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Quantum mechanics is rubbish.

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It’s kind of ironic for you to say that, since the computer that you’re using to post your message about how quantum mechanics is rubbish was designed using quantum mechanics.

20. TheHeretic Registered Senior Member

Rosnet, wtf did that accomplish? You simplton.

21. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

thread title:it is impossible to die
    History tends to disagree.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. jettlarue Registered Member

first of all read this. http://www.rotten.com/library/religion/quantum-physics/
    otherwise a lot of people will not understand some of this. ok say if you went extremely fast in a space ship when you were concieved that very second(law of relativity) and you were say a minue behind time for where you were not born yet the universe you were in would shift to one where you were alive otherwise it is currently physically imposible for you to be ever born so that would shift the past so you were never concieved. but since you were you are shifted to a branch of of the universe you were in when you ad been cncieved and took a random route past there. so you could be concieved and be born in 9 months. if you understand what i am trying to say. if you dont thats fine too because i may be wrong

23. esoterik_appeal H. pylori Registered Senior Member

thats fair. this line of thought is based on ideas that aren't exactly the gospel according to Hawking. but many things that start out with little backing become well developed and accepted in due time. i'm just trying to be ahead of the curve.

how do you reach the conclusion that it is highly unlikely? there is NO data in regards to what happens to our consciousness when we die. there are various explanations that have gained consensus over the years, but they basically boil down to leaps of faith.

also, my purpose here isn't really to convince anyone to believe what i'm saying. i just want to put it out there and see if i can defend it. i am certainly not a preacher, not on this anyway. these matters of mortality and the like are personal, and i simply want to share my thoughts, to see if they stand up in black and white.

and i'm still at work on rounding up some proof outside of the pudding that what i'm saying is true. but i may need a bit more time, considering i'm trying to put to rest one of the biggest philosophical questions man can conceive. give me until... say, next tuesday?