It begins......

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Thor, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Its that time of year people. Pre-Christmas season has started.

The stores are selling the decorations, the adverts are on, the little sprogs are making their lists and I'm going insane (more so)

What are your views on this commercialization of a holy holiday?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Well, since I don't give a crap about the religious side of it all, I'm quite happy about the gift-giving side of it. It's an excuse for people to get nice stuff for each other, and spend up big on doing so, when they might not otherwise.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

News Report -

no such big fuss about winter solstice in Latvia.

some ads and christmass sales appear only in some beggining of december
    ------
    end

I'd be interesed to know how it is in other countries

edit-
    oh and I don't think of wnter solstice as some christian holiday- it was made the 24th of dec only to put it over pagan solstice fests
    just a reminder of christian policy

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

*shakes fist at passing christians*

Too right. I don't ask for the gifts, I just recieve em, I then feel uncomfortable and go out and buy some for the people who gave me/intend on giving me presents

8. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Well of course I get the tree and the presents for the little one. She just adores Christmas, and I wont be the one to tell her its a bunch of hogwash. But I have always despised Christmas time. Ever since I can remember. Its a very depressing time of year. Plus its just so fake and full of fake smiles and fake thank-yous, and shitty socks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

maybe your kid will hate it too one day - and so the chain goes on - lol

10. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

the real meaning of xmas

I think I'll be going to hell for this one...

11. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

yeah, and in a couple of more weeks aren't they going to start putting out the new spring clothing line-up in most stores?? gggaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Didn't you know, Santa is the devil according to latest christian reports.

They only thing that isn't is that Andrex Puppy

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Christmas the Magdalene

When I worked in specialty retail, for a division of Woolworth, we got our Christmas stuff as early as July 1, with instructions for display by August 1.

I'm of the opinion that such things as Christmas are sort of necessary. But like I told my mother when I was 20--I think it's wonderful that we set aside a day to be good to each other and be giving, but I still don't see why it's not every day.

And as I grow, that goodness is bled entirely out of Christmas. I hold Tickle-Me Elmo responsible.

But as far as I can tell, Christmas is a holiday for bad actors. Schwarzeneggar made a Christmas film (with Sinbad, no less), they're making another Santa Clause film to pay Tim Allen and a few producers, and on top of all that, while I did actually think the remake of Miracle on 34th Street had its merits, I don't understand the need to rehash what was done well the first time.

Christmas will have increased significance for me when it has more significance for other people. More to say, when people have more genuine sentiments. Until then, it's merely a pulpit for the Christians and an excuse for a spending spree for the rest of us. In the meantime, why participate in the Ho-Ho-Hum?

Christmas is a prostitute, at best. (Macabre that, I once knew a stripper named Christmas who was thought to whore on occasion.)

thanx,
    Tiassa

14. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

ugh

I HATE xmas "entertainment".....the movies, but mostly the DAMNED MUSIC!!!!! I used to work in a department store, and from october unil mid january it was CONSTANT xmas music! Sung by celebrities no less! They don't realize 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I think the worst combo I've EVER heard for Christmas music was Elmo from Seasame Street singing (or trying to) with Rosie O'Donnel.....

I would like a hired assasin for Christmas.

15. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

You called (look in my profile

)

I suppose lots of good games are released around christmas and afterwards theres a massive sale

16. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Thor, I have a feeling that Santa's going to have an unfortunate encounter with a dark, flying Mercedes, if you get my drift. Perhaps a fly-by shooting.

*Slips thor a cookie*

17. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Or should I wait until Christmas day to unwrap you?

< Suddenly feels dirty

18. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

*accepts the cookie*

*nods*

*fades into the darkness*

*fades back*

*nods*

*fades into the darkness*

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think a funky fantasy universe (a typical Doug Adams story) would put the protagonist on a planet that is dominated by "the holidays" and holiday sales and fucking holiday music and holiday propaganda ARRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!! death to them all!!! Glory to the infidels-----and the hordes!!

*flicks light on, notices Thor snickering with his cookie as he feeds it to a wayward chipmunk*

*shakes head, flicks the light off*

20. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

**whisper to Thor**

He's onto us. ^

**Hands Thor another cookie**

You know what to do.

21. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

The spirit of the holiday can be magnified if the sentiments are genuine. Otherwise you have a bunch of people getting together for another holiday. Your company throws another party to celebrate and your family comes into town to say hi. And I certainly don't mind getting gifts but sometimes I feel bad if I don't have enough to buy decent gifst for all my friends and family. The best thing I like about xmas is the chill air that I feel when I step out of the door and also the warm heater when I come in from outside.

22. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

*flicks light back on, glances at wayward chipmunk, notices that it has a nametag that happily states: "HI!! I'm....Nebula"*

*Wips out mega cookie death ray, vaporizes BOTH the cookies, flicks the light back off as both nebula and thor stare back with manic wonder*

23. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Thats it Pollux, you've made my list