"Islamic" Golden Age

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Michael, Nov 17, 2008.

1. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

There are several history books written about these dynasties. The IQRA store and Dar us Salam publications have several publications which you may find helpful. The wealth of knowledge in English unfortunately is severely limited, however there are plenty of books in Urdu which you can find next time you are in India which would serve to guide you in the pursuit of knowledge.

This a fairly good link which I happen to have in mm bookmarks. http://www.islamicity.com/education/ihame/default.asp?Destination=/education/ihame/1.asp

One book, whose writer I have met fairly recently: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1426200927/mmn-20/

I will try to give you some more information, but it will take some time.

Al Biruni has several wonderful books relating to this. I will get back to you on this topic.

There were several schools opened inside Iran in the cities of Isfahan, Tehran, and in other regions such as Bukhara, Lahore, etc.

I'm not so sure I know more than you, but I will try to provide some answers.

This view presupposed that dynasties are not as fit to govern the Islamic world than with the use of consensus. I disagree with this view. I believe the issue is both due to lack of the speed of militarization as the Europeans, during the 1500s onwards, and the lack of interest by the Muslim kings and detachment of some wazir and landlords with the plight of the people. Something we even see today in the Middle East. The increasing gap between the rich and the poor definitely contributed to the Muslim decline, and this was especially prominent in the Middle East. In regions such as South Asia, incursions by the British and Dutch control of the seas, along with European funding of internal rebellions of the Sikhs and Marathas contributued to destabilization.

This topic is debatable. Ijtihad was never formally closed for the vast majority of Muslims. Indeed, within the four classical schools, there exists a wide range of topics for which ijtihad has been practiced resulting in various groups such as the scholars of Deoband as one example.

I am familiar that this is a point of debate among the Salafis and traditional Muslims. The scholars of Ahlus sunnah waal jamaah have stated that it is not a sin to follow a scholar of religious knowledge in matters of which one may have limited knowledge. Every Muslim, to the best of his ability, should research the proofs and evidences given by different scholars, yet it is not an inherent sin to follow a religious scholar in matters which you have not educated yourself about. Knowledge is a duty one very Muslim, yet not everyone can know everything about all topics.

I believe you are right, the decline is based on political, economic, military factors in conjunction with the lack of religious devotion of the Muslim masses. There is a hadith which states that the community will receive leaders equal o the community, thus corrupt and self-serving leaders are a reflection of our lack of our devotion to religion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you have the isnad for this?

Thanks for the link to the Michael Morgan book.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

It will take some time for me to find it SAM. I will send it by PM once I do.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wayne92587 Registered Member

Simple enough!

Islam has been hijacked, by False Prophets, Fundamentalist, Men born of Machismo.

Islamic Law, Sharia, has been perverted because Islam has allowed Men with unclean, dirty, hands to touch, to interpret the Koran, by allowing Fundamentalist Extremists, Men born of the dust of the ground, Men with a distorted, perverted, extreme, sense of Manliness, Masculinity, Machismo, to interpret Islamic Law, Sharia; It not being Manly, it being Woman Like, to be submissive, compassionate, Humane.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

:shrug:

Gold is golden.

So is urine.

Which one you experienced during this period depended on what religion you were.

9. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I agree with this post, slightly. A few people seem to attribute every good deed done by a Muslim to all of Islam, but a bad deed by them suddenly becomes solely to that person or country, and never to all of Islam.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Probably because a contribution to a civilisation is different from a criminal act.

Unless of course, you believe that every man in prison in your society should share his prison term with you and nothing of the history of your society has anything to do with you.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

This is an absurd counter-argument. What if that act is not criminal, but merely horribly immoral and wrong?

You can't pick and choose.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Okay, you're a partaker in every horrible act done by Christians/athiests anywhere. Oops you belong to a communal religion. Now Islam? Its non-intercessory.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

You dodged the issue again: the "Golden Age" was golden if you were a male and muslim. Otherwise, not so golden. What you're saying is that you refuse to accept this point, so you're in the philosophy of "islam uber alles". Now, me, I recognize that not all acts done by Christians and secularists everywhere was right. Should I harp on like an idiot about some mythical "Golden Age" that was only Golden for people like me?

Yeah, unfortunately for everyone else.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You assume it was only golden for males and Muslims. Coincidentally, it was an era of much wealth and success in non-Muslim India and the Jewish golden age also overlaps here. Note that the only golden age the Jews had was under Muslims.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Was it really their "Golden Age"? Maimoinides makes a lot of how nice islam was to Jewish people, but then recants. And whether or not everyone had a lot of monetary success was kind of irrelevant if they were second class citizens. It's like being a cotton slave: the farm might be doing great! but you're still a slave.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I wonder what Maimoinides would think if he were in Gaza.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

He probably would disapprove.

Then again, he probably would disapprove of the Jewish condition in the ME right up to 1948. What's your point? That Gaza is bad now, so it was ok for islam to be vicious to the conquered earlier? Don't be an idiot.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No, that Maimonedes was better off than the Gazans [or even the al-Kurds in East Jerusalem], and according to you, Israel is a "democracy".

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Was he? Who knows? We do know, however, that the islamic golden age wasn't golden for everyone. Again, it's like slavery: sure, 1855 seemed like a good year in Virginia...but not if you were in a cotton field.

Actually, Israel is a democracy, but I don't think I said that until just now.

20. disease Banned Banned

Israel is a partitioned democracy. It has decided as a 'co-ordinated' but wholly disparate group, to afford democratic rights to a certain ethnicity, and exclude all others.

It's an apartheid system rather than a democracy.

21. Zakia Registered Member

Lets Face The Truth!!!!!!!1

amazing just amazing. u guys claim to be so true, so accepting, so broad visioned but u can not see, hear or feel beyond ur pre set limits of jealousy and hatred. ur folks have done a great job in erasing all the facts and figures and incorporating vague data in ur minds. but lets not talk about it. it useless cuz we both wont bear it. lets talk about realities. DIDNT NON MUSLIM SCIENTISTS PROVE ALL THE BASIC FACTS AND FIGURES ALREADY MENTIONED BY THE GREAT MUSLIM SCIENTISTS? DIDNT THEY FOLLOW IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF THE MUSLIMS AND PROCEEDED FROM WHERE THEY LEFT? the muslims lagged behind cuz of their own weaknesses and ur conspiracies but this does not, in any way, allow u followers to snatch away the credit of all the greay work they have done in different fields of science and technology. come on. be bold enough to face the truth.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not a partitioned democracy, there is no such thing. It is an apartheid state:

23. disease Banned Banned

Yeah well, I made it up.