Is this world real?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by gonj, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squashbuckler Registered Senior Member

ONE THING

If the world is not real, why bother to even think about anything if everything is abstract.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

reality is the common perception of the general population

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. matnay Registered Senior Member

Is this world real?

It depends on your definition of real. Afterall, our world IS a huge illusion. Colors do not really exist outside our heads. The world is a place as dark as that time before your birth. Sounds, smells, and everything else that form the fundamental definition of reality do not really exist. It's all in our heads. Intuition is wrong. Beyond the deception of our primary senses, there's no telling where the illusion ends and the "real" world begins, if it begins at all.

So is this world real? I say the world is as real as anything can be in this universe. Illusion IS reality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. otheadp Banned Banned

reality is not what REALLY out there but how we preceive it.

as matnay said. the color red is not really red. sound is not really sound as we understand it. it's just air vibrations. but our senses translate the "red" color into what we see as red, and air vibrations into sound.

all those who wonder whether this life is like a homework lab experiment for some god child, or some freak accident like the ninja turtles, or that we are the stars of some movie and everyone else is an "extra"....
    this may very well be true, but it's not reality. OUR reality is what's real.

reality is what we find and not what's really there.

8. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Just a suggestion....

Please dont go and see the 3rd Matrix.......thank you.....

9. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

Fucking noob-philosophist question.

10. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

If You Lose Religious Beliefs,You Lose Your Meaning

11. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

AS WE DELVE INTO KNOWLEDGE,WE LOSE OURSELVES,WE LOSE THE REASON,MORALS ARE NO MORE,MEDIA IS SLOWLY DESTROYING US,WE FALL INTO A PRETEND WORLD,A WORLD FILLED WITH MISERY,VIOLENCE AND KNOWLEDGE.I WISH I COULD CHANGE THIS FALLEN EARTH,BUT IT WILL GET WORSE,EVERYTHING WILL CONTINUE TO GET WORSE.IF I DIDNT KNOW WHAT THIS LIFE IS ABOUT,IT WOULDNT HURT.LIFE HAS CHANGED,I WISH I COULD GO BACK IN TIME,TO LIVE WITH THE UNNEED OF KNOWLEDGE,I WOULD JUST LIVE THE SIMPLE WAY,WITH NO PROBLEMS,NO WORRIES,JUST TRAVELLING.

12. Squashbuckler Registered Senior Member

Thats REALLY SAD........

13. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

If People open thier eyes and see what they are doing,see the problems.Science has proved the bible could be false,now what is the reason to live,thier is no reason you have got to be strong today,its a meaningless life and somehow you have to hold on to the belief of god.

14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I have a clear and distinct perception that my world is real. Additionally, I know that my world can't be an illusion or 'matrix' world. How do I know this? I have a concept of the infinite, which proves that there must be a god, since any concept has less inherent reality than the thing which it conceptually mirrors, therefore there must be something that is more than infinite, which could only be god. And of course god would not allow me to be fooled like that.

15. xobeto Registered Member

Mrmynomics:
    I am very against all forms of medication for any purpose but shit dude you need some prozac or somthing cause you sound like you're going to kill yourself or somebody else with your infinite pessimism

16. Canute Registered Senior Member

Not so fast with the medication. Mrmynomics is right on the button as regards our slide into an idiotically unreal world of mass communications and third-person 'knowledge', and that the slide seems unstoppable.

Whether he is right to be deeply depressed about it, as opposed to just sad, I'm not so sure. I suspect it's all a temporary illusion but haven't managed a proof yet. It's certainly temporary. As to rest we'll all find out soon enough.

17. doom Registered Senior Member

Is this world real?

nah this is the fake one,the real one is over there ------>

when i said that did you look to the right of your screen or physically turn right.

If you did the latter then you are in the fake world,former means your in the real world.

18. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

I MISS THE OLD DAYS,THE DAYS WHEN LIFE WASNT CONTROLLED TO THE LEVEL OF TODAY,LIFE IS CONTROLLED BY THE MEDIA AND FAKE PEOPLE,I HAVE LOOKED INTO THE MINDS OF MANY OF THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE AND ALL I SEE IS DARKNESS,THEY DONT SEEM HUMAN,I HAVE HELPED PEOPLE ALL MY LIFE,PERHAPS I MAY HAVE BEEN SOFT AT TIMES,BUT I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED MY FAMILY AND MY FRIENDS,BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE LOCKED,IN A PRISON,AND SADLY MOST OF THESE PEOPLE ARE IN THIER 20S,THEY DO DRUGS AND THEY HAVE DONE THIS AND THEY HAVE DONE THAT,THEY THINK THIER ACTIONS ARE THE WAY TO GO,THEY PARTY MOST DAYS AND NIGHTS,UNCARING TO THE PAIN AND SADNESS THEY MAY CAUSE,NICE PEOPLE TODAY ARE HARD TO COME ACROSS,IM FROM WALES,UK,THE MOST DOWN TO EARTH PEOPLE WERE DOWN TO EARTH UNTIL 2000,WHEN LIFE TOOK A HUGE SWING INTO THE INCREASE FACTOR,WHERE WE WOULD BE FILLED WITH DISSAPOINTMENT,LIFE HAD JOINED,THE FALLING AMERICA,AND ENGLAND,THE PLAYPEN OF SNOBS,MADE MATTERS WORSE,BY MAKING US BIGGER THAN THE UK REALLY IS,UK IS TAKING THE FALL OF THE AMERICAN WAY,AMERICA,THE FAKE WORLD OF AMERICA,YOU ARE BLIND TO YOUR LIFE,YOU HAVE NEVER KNOWN THE QUIET LIFE,NOT REALLY,I REALIZED WHAT YOUR LIFE IS LIKE WHEN I MOVED OUT THIER,IT WAS SHOCKING,AND YOU CANT SEE IT.

19. Canute Registered Senior Member

Life's too short to struggle through long stretches of uppercase.

20. My dreams are similar to yours in this aspect. I have never confounded my dreams with reality. Since my earliest experiences, I have invariably retained complete cognizance of my state while immersed in a dream.

In regard to the current subject:

If life is simply an illusory and transient figment of some whimsical god's mind, or if I'm actually rapt in a terrible, annihilating slumber, please be considerate.
    Please explicate and demonstrate the methods by which I might expeditiously extricate myself from this dastardly, damnable fallacy.

I would like nothing more than to wake up now, and I know that I can make myself wake up from dreamland. I've done it before.

So if any of you MORONS, IMBECILES, CRETINS, and CHURLS STUCK IN LALA LAND WOULD PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ESCAPE . . .

it would much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2003
  21. I clicked "over there" and the blank space to see if there was a link.

22. Canute Registered Senior Member

It's no big mystery. You're looking for what Buddhists call Enlightenment, (or waking up), or what Gurdjieff called ceasing to be a machine and becoming conscious. It's the recognition of the bleeding obvious, as one Buddhist friend put it.

Perhaps the many tales of the mysterious feats of practioners of tantric yoga, which for the very advanced are purported to include flying, make more sense now that the basic principle has been made more scientifically understandable in 'The Matrix'. Taken to the ultimate it is in a sense to stand outside existence.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2003
  23. CHRISCUNNINGHAM The Ethereal Paradigm Registered Senior Member

I dont have time to read all of these posts but I will add this, and if someone already has then great.

What we see and preceive is "real".

For "reality" is COMPLETELY relative.

Hence what is reality to us may not necessarily be a reality to another, however neither reality is more correct than the other.

Other Realities are as real to us as Red is to the blind man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.