Is there such a thing as rational Christianity?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by atthisaddress, Jan 20, 2006.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Different Christians have different views of God. So believe He is literally an old man in the sky, which is pretty stupid. Others, like me, have a much more abstract notion of God. The "old" and "father" is just a metaphor.

Dismissing the possibility of a "god" is as irrational as simply believing blindly that there is one.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Agreed. I haven't seen any posts that deny the possibility of a god. It's just extremely unlikely given the total lack of evedince that correlates to anything other than randomness. The irrationality is insisting that god or anything is real, with nothing more than an internal conviction and a warm fuzzy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Dismissing the possibility of a "god" is as irrational as simply believing blindly that there is one.

Is it also irrational to dismiss the possibility of Santa Claus? Why did you stop believing in Santa but not god?

Blind faith?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. right. which means the rational thing to do is not believe either way at all, or at the least not to act on your belief. that way your actions are not predicated on the commands of some imaginary authority, because you could not rationally justify acting in accordance with rules that may or may not have been set forth by an entity that may or may not even exist. especially when you take into account that in the eventuality that there is a god, it may not be your particular god, and in fact may be wholly different than the conception that any humans have of god.
    in not believing in god, and acting on the basis of reason and of your own accord, you do only what could be expected of you by any other rational person or deity if it is eventually proved that one is extant somewhere out there. if it is eventually proved that there is a god and it is irrational and arbitrary, than in the end we are all in equal amounts of trouble.

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

For a matter of fact, yes.

I don't get presents...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Precisely.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

For a matter of fact, yes.

Therefore, by your own account, it is perfectly rational to admit the possibility that anything which can be conjured from the imagination could exist?

I don't get presents...

And god provided you with what exactly?

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Because we have overwhelming evidence against the Santa hypothesis. We know, as adults, that WE bring the gifts to our children. There are no structures at the north pole. It would therefore be irrational to NOT believe in Santa. Right? Just as it would be irrational to NOT believe in the christian god. There is no cavity under the earth (hell) and no place above the earth that corresponds to heaven (at least to the current limits of telescope technology). Prayers do not get answered (any more than random chance would predict).

So, the person who wishes to allow the possibility of a being/entity/power that is responsible for the initiation of the current incarnation of this universe but proposes no observable tinkering today, is rational. The probability may be 1 in 1e-23 but this does not rule out the possibility.

Santa as presented conventionally is 100% ruled out by observational evidence.

The christian/muslim/hebrew god as presented conventionally is 100% ruled out by observational evidence.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Santa as presented conventionally is 100% ruled out by observational evidence.

Yet, I observe Santas on every street corner each December... curious...

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Oh brother...

I forgot about those guys.

14. no you dont. you observe normal people dressed up like santas. none of those people can actually do the things that santa claus is supposed to do. come on.

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Pretty sure he's joking about the street corner santas...

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes.

Life....

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Those are metaphors.

So you say you can observe god, eh...?

Geeez... Who is less irrational here!?!?

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I saw Rudolph the other day....

He said hello and I said "Hey, How's going?"
    He is kinda feeling sick. Ohh... his nose is all red...

19. Tnerb Banned Banned

IMO:

Kierkegaard would say there is. Maybe the question is is there a rational christian?

20. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

and the answer would still be no.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Whatever happened to ME!?

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Interesting technique. Reword your opponent's statements into a strawman that you can easily tear down. And then throw in some ad hominem attack. Well done!

Anyway, I clearly did not say I could observe god, but that observational evidence (which can also be a complete lack of observation where someone claims something will be) rules out the god of heaven and hell.

And heaven and hell are metaphors? What kind of christian are you? Every christian I've ever debated with fully believes in a physical heaven and hell. These are fundamental postulates of the christian religion.

What say you?

23. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

No.