Is there really life on other planets?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by pluto2, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Sawklwrd Banned Banned

You've obviously never read the Bible because God created all the plants and animals on the Earth and every other planet in the universe.

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so." (Genesis 1:11)

Note the Bible does not say God created plants in his image although the Bible does say that anything that has seeds in itself is "after his kind."

"And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good." (Genesis 1:12)

"And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven." (Genesis 1:20)

"And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good." (Genesis 1:21)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Burada Registered Senior Member

Kinda makes you wonder a little if God created creatures on other planets like the 'Alien and Predator'??? If so, forget about the so-called invitations to visit planet Earth.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And Kzin, Pak, Vulcans, Daleks etc...
    He was a pretty busy guy in his day.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

An alternate explanation of this that I have heard that seems (to me) to be considerably more logical goes as follows:

God is generally held as being unique, so if God is unique and we are created in his image, therefore we would all be unique, which seems to be consistent as even 'identical' twins have different personalities.

8. kmguru Staff Member

Everything is unique. Even a rock. But whether Protons, Neutrons, Leptons, Quarks are unique...no body knows....

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You're saying that the question is not settled as to whether all protons are identical? In what way can they differ? Where's one of the physicists--they'll know the answer to that one.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Wheeler (via Feynman IIRC) once proposed that electrons are unique: in as much as the proposal was that that there is only one electron in existence and it just gets around very quickly.
    But they couldn't find anything to support the idea.

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I think that was one photon, if that sheds any light on the topic.

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

http://www.eftaylor.com/software/FeynmanDiagrams.pdf

13. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

And more might be lurking, even intelligent beings.

Really can't discount anything.

14. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

Why wonder. The nearest star is 3.5 lyrs away. With fastest of ships it would take centuries to make the trip. Think of hundreds of lyrs. The distance would still be unfeasible to travel.

15. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Every star in the Universe has a habitable zone, its distance depending on the surface temperature and heat output of the star. Every star has a certain lifetime of the Main Sequence, i.e. the part of its life when it is stable and provides a reasonably safe environment for life to develop. Life may take as much as about 4000 million years to develop to the point of sentience, as evidenced by the history of Earth. Given that, the wonder is not that there are so many reports of UFO's, but that there are any at all--it's hardly surprising that most turn out to be hoaxes/eyesight problems/funny looking clouds et. al.

On the other hand, the theory that some elder race or races might be responsible for giving a kick-start to life on this planet or others, well the Universe has existed for a bit less than 14,000 million years. Earth has existed for about 1/3 that time, and our sun is of the third or fourth generation of stars. It's possible that races could have evolved on planets orbiting the second generation of stars, and be much much older than us.

16. kmguru Staff Member

Of course...at the same time, they may not look like us. In the next 10,000 years, if we survive, we even may not look like us....

17. Xylene Valued Senior Member

That's true--if we met with one of the elder races, would we even recognise them as anything resembling us? Or would they have progressed so much beyond us physically and mentally by now that they would literally and/or figuratively leave us in their dust?

Let's hope if/when we do meet them, they're friendly--or else it's a case of :worship: or run for your life

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Unfeasible simply means we don't presently know how to do it.

19. kmguru Staff Member

If you look at the evolution of human specis - my family is a member of fourpaws - I think, in far future, we will be the benevolent ones towards life in general, so I think, they will be too.

Of course I am judging by you and me....

20. Balerion Banned Banned

I'm not trying to be insulting, and I sincerely apologize if it sounds like I am, but I find this question to be kind of silly.

Considering the number of stars in the observable galaxy--and then the number that may very well exist if there is in fact space beyond what we can see--I can't imagine a scenario in which life hasn't emerged elsewhere. And not just life, but intelligent life. It didn't exactly take a miracle (no pun intended) for us to get here (just a few extinction events, which I would imagine are pretty commonplace throughout the universe) so it's not like the circumstances have to be all that special.

Now, I understand it isn't quite "scientific" to say for certain that life exists elsewhere, but...come on. Of course there is.

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Fermi.

22. Balerion Banned Banned

As in Fermi Lab?

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member