Is there is a relation between tornado and jet stream

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by arauca, Apr 15, 2012.

1. arauca Banned Banned

Tornado have killed so far in the USA 39 peoples in 2012 and this is only beginning

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

Without checking on Wiki or anything, it is my understanding that the jet stream simply refers to the prevailing winds far far above the lithosphere (Earth's rocky surface). As they are high and unobstructed they are rather swift. They are named thus for the same reason. Tornadoes, as you must know, are when dust devils, whirlwinds on the Earth's surface gain momentum for whatever reason and become very large and fearsome indeed. Others can probably tell you better, but to my knowledge tornado formation is incompletely understood. I even once read a theory that two cars moving in opposite directions at high speeds may instigate a tornado. This seems unlikely though as that must happen hundreds of thousands of times a day all over the world.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

In the area were I live ( Illinois ) by Chicago in the 70 ---> 90 it was called the tornado alley and we were the front of the Jet stream Now I see for several year perhaps 10 I see the front of the Jet stream have moved West from us and I see also Tornado have moved to Kansas and Nebraska . Beside I have seen a report in the new showing the Warm air moving from the Golf and colliding with the cold air following the Het stream and there is were the high wind are taking place.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

8. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Tornados are formed out of Cumulus storms. The jet stream steers such storms, so a correlation between the jet stream and tornados would be expected.

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I don't believe that Chicago or Illinois has ever been in what is termed tornado alley. That is not to say that Illinois hasn't had its share of tornados. The famous Tri-State tornado went right across Illinois.

The jet stream is not some sort of stationary phenomena. It moves all over the place. There are also 2 jet streams in the northern and southern hemispheres. When the 'jet stream' is discussed it is generally the polar jet stream that the weather forecasters in the US are refering to.

Here is a link to the daily configuration of the jet stream.

Here is the location of 'tornado alley'.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. arauca Banned Banned

Let me inform you a little
    Oak lawn was hit in the 1960, Lemont was hit ine time 1975 +_ then 1990
    Plainfield 2000 and a second time , farther west of Chicago 2000.
    I dont know were you live , and I don;t know if you read me pointing that the position of the Jet stream have changed were the the concave of the curve sets.. I don.t deputes were the tornado alley is at the present is the only thing I say there seams a relationship the front after the concave of Jet stream and tornado.

11. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

The upper cold air jet stream flows west to east while the gulf of Mexico moisture flows south to north and they collide right in the middle of America at times bringing about inclement weather.

12. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You are informing me of nothing. If you looked at the map you would have seen that Illinois has a high frequency of tornados. My point was, as I clearly stated, that Illinios is not in 'tornado alley' and never has been.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The 'concave' part of the jet stream can be over Seattle, WA today and over NY City in a couple of days! The 'concave' part of the jet stream does not 'set' anywhere in particular.

There is a relationship between the jet stream and tornados, as the Buddha12 pointed out. It is not a requirement but it is a factor that tends to greatly increase the likelyhood and severity of tornados.

13. arauca Banned Banned

Look I give you the fact . I live in the area in my town we have experienced two tornado in 15 years , with in my area of 15 miles we had 5 tornado, I really don't know what you read ,
    iF YOU READ POST # 3 IT IS MENTIONING WARM AIR FROM THE GULF.

14. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

All of that is just swell. My points are still valid and you have not even addressed them.

1. Illinois is not in tornado alley
    2. Your quote "Now I see for several year perhaps 10 I see the front of the Jet stream have moved West from us", doesn't make any sense because the jet stream is rarely in the same place for even 1 day!

15. arauca Banned Banned

In the last 10 years we are not in the tornado alley and I am glad That is what I said , before we were I give you the fact . If you know any better post .

I know Jet stream have different configuration, The configuration and shape depend on the volume of cold front is interacting ,

16. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I do know better. I already posted it. Look at the dates on the picture. Look at the outline of 'tornado alley' on the picture. Now, do you dispute that info? If so, post your evidence!

Since you "know Jet stream have different configuration", perhaps you could share with us what this different configuration is.

17. arauca Banned Banned

Look, I posted my experience . I posted an Hypothesis on tornado and Jet stream . You posted were currently is the tornado alley . I posted were in previous decade was the tornado ally .
    I don't want to argue wit you any longer . I don't know what you are after.
    If you have something constructive to add that is great. Otherwise go find an other fire hydrant.

18. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I will assume that is true,

False you posted some weirdly incorrect conjecture about the jet stream locations.

False I posted you are not in tornado alley (I assume you meant we're).

False Illinois was never in tornado alley.

I am done to. It is like trying to have a discussion with someone from an alternate universe. Good luck..:shrug:

19. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

The cause of a jet stream and a tornado is roughly the same, but jetstreams do not cause tornadoes, unless the butterfly effect is true, which it isn't. The cause of a jet stream is the same that causes the earth to spin and the oceans to circulate. The earth spins eastward, jetstreams travel eastward, oceans ultimately circulate eastward, and the earth's atmosphere on the whole circulates eastward. Tornadoes are caused when molecules in the air have been deprived of (heat) energy, and they begin to accelerate to find equilibrium. Ordinary wind is caused by the same manner. - Gerhard Kemmerer - Ancient Science and Cosmology.

20. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

First of all welcome.

No they are not even close to having the same cause - unless you are talking about trivial basics like they both need an atmosphere.

The butterfly effect IS true in that the weather is not in an equilibrium state it is a chaotic system so that small pertibations can cascade into large scale events.

The jet stream is driven by the difference in temperatures between the topics and the northern latitudes. Ocean currents do not travel easwards - due to the coriolis effect the ocean current travel clockwise in the norther hemisphere and counter clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

Absolutely not. Tornadoes are typically the result of a super cell thunderstrome that is rotating. The rotation is due to wind shear.

Wind is cause by a difference in atmospheric pressure which may or may not be driven by temperature.

Modern Science and Cosmology.

21. elte Valued Senior Member

I have long been interested in this topic. When one looks at a satellite view of the clouds involved in tornado formation, the effects of the jet stream are often visible. The jet stream can cause an area of low pressure that begins at a fairly well-defined point that diverges downwind, with swirls. The swirls can form tornadoes if they happen to coincide with the rising thermal air drafts. The wind shear of the jet stream gets the updrafts to rotate.

22. arauca Banned Banned

You seams to have your agenda and a close mind on this issue . Think if a jet stream passes it create an relative low pressure in the upper atmosphere , then in the lower it will create a low pressure , so in the lower atmosphere it create a upswing and this rushes the cold or the warm clouds i upward.
    cheers.

23. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You seem to misunderstand. I never said that the jet stream has no relationship to the formation of tornados or super cells.