Is there any serious research on the paranormal such as ghosts?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by yasmin, Sep 21, 2009.

1. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

No, mediums and scientists do not use dimension in the same way.

Other predicted dimensions are not parallel universes or alternate realities. The other dimensions mentioned in the string theory are part of this dimension.

It's fairly clear that the way you are using dimension is like medium and scifi shows, not the way it is used in science or math.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. yasmin Registered Member

I disagree it sound weird but there are the same thing, Yet I am not going to enter in a discussion about this, as I do not have the knowledge to prove anything.
    I know it is safer for anyone to insist there is a difference between both concepts so no one would say you are crazy or dilusional. I understand... is all right to settle and go with the flow in these subjects

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

They are very different. And it does sound weird to say you have no knowledge and then disagree.

You sound like you want to learn. There is an old book called Flatland that could give you incite into dimensions without delving into a class on the subject.

Here is a link to the Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Not quite.
    Mediums (media?

) use "dimension" to mean plane or state of existence, whereas in physics it's a measurable property (like length or mass).

8. John99 Banned Banned

they are not hoaxes. the stories are accurate but they are dramatized.

9. yasmin Registered Member

Unless you are a physicyst or a medium you are as ignorant as I am about this, your opinion is as valid as mine. why should i have to agree with you?

I will check those links, thak you!

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Or he's done some background research.

Flatland is worth reading.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

What rubbish!
    "Accurate"?
    :roflmao:
    Only to the baseless speculations of the participants and wild extrapolations of the scriptwriters.

12. yasmin Registered Member

Sorry i am too ignorant I do not se the difference, for what I remember when they analyzed the implications about parallel worlds the scientists were exactly talking about the possibility that different planes of existence. But I have to do the research. In medicine we have pubmed that is a site where you can have free access to almost all medical literature, is there such a website for physics do you know?

13. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

On the one hand we have a claim of hoaxes and some justification for that belief.
    On the other hand we have a claim with no justification.
    Do you have anything to back up your claim that the stories are accurate?

14. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

You claim is simply wrong. There are many disciplines that use dimensions and it is your background that lacks experience with the concept of dimensions.

You certainly do not have to agree with me. All I am trying to do is assist you in understanding what is happening. Isn't that of interest to you? I thought it was.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah, I think Stereologist (who's a chemist I think - and very knowledgeable on science) was talking about the use of the word dimension.
    The MWI doesn't say different dimension but different universe/ world.

arXiv gets a few hits.

16. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

Yasmin, you say you use Pubmed. Pubmed gives you access to little more than abstracts for many journals.

Have you ever done any stereological work? Probably not since you would have recognized my forum name.

Stereology is the science of determining geometric quantities. The basic quantities correspond to dimensions 0, 1, 2, and 3. These are: numbers of things, length, surface area, and volume.

17. John99 Banned Banned

which ones have you seen?

18. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

John99 do you have anything to justify your claim of accurate?

19. yasmin Registered Member

I do research every day from pub med and then I get the articles from the library or I download them.

OK since you know about physics we need to get a psychic to see what they mean by planes of existence, unless you are also a psychic, you really do not know what their concepts are about where the spirits are.
    As a lay person I do not see the difference. According to the explanations physics were given for people like me in the science channel was exactly that: it is possible that parallel worlds exist and that at this same time events may be happening in this same room in another dimension.
    They were making the point that the theory of Hawkings about black holes were information might get lost in them, was wrong. They proved that the information is not lost in black holes. They said the black holes could be happeng everywhere even in "this" same room, even in their own heads...

Again, I need to read more about this....

20. yasmin Registered Member

Thak you I will check, I'll let you know, it may take a while, i am now behind in my own stuff (too much sicforums!!!)

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You mean someone who claims to be a psychic!

Or unless I've read extensively (for over 40 years) on the subject.

Yep, that's because they "misuse" the word dimension. (Well strictly speaking they don't use it the same way scientists and engineers use it).

Hmm, there's a difference also between what a "pyschic" accepts as proof and what a scientist accepts as proof.
    If there really was a black hole in your room (or your head) you'd know about it.

And science on TV really isn't that good either. (Or that accurate).

22. John99 Banned Banned

the shows that i watched, i believe them. what is actually happening is another matter.

23. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

Let me sure I have this right. You have no evidence for the truth of these shows, but you have faith that these shows are accurate. It's just faith.

Science and this particular science forum ask for evidence.

I took a look at the clearing on Google earth and saw what appears to be plant life where none is supposed to exist. The clearing is not perfectly round or even close as claimed in this thread.

Doesn't it make you wonder why the evidence is so scanty or even controversial at this time if were so trivial to collect evidence?