Is there any serious research on the paranormal such as ghosts?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by yasmin, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Except that (as has been gone over time and time again in Pseudoscience and Parapsychology) these "criminal psychics" are self-publicising frauds. (Most) Police departments and the FBI do NOT use them and do NOT validate their "results".

Nope, the thing is that "this power" is a nonsense and either error, self-deception or fraud.

NOBODY is psychic.

EDIT: I find it fascinating that you can make statements like "criminal psychics have something going on that is just a little too real sometimes" and at the same time you're posting "all the stuff written [about him] is by what people want to believe. it is romanticized, sells movies and books but that is not reality" in another thread.
    Sensationalism sells, and you fall for it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

Before there were words there was body language, before that there were chemicals. It is certainly possible to control body language; it may also be possible to control your chemical signaling for instance pheromones, hormones, and other air-borne signaling molecules. Its all in your head

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Children are much more empathic than adults since they have to learn from their parents, its a part of being human. Sometimes its startling how well children can read thoughts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Nah. We discover things all the time about brains that we did not know were possible before. Did you know that migrating birds use the quantum zeno effect?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

But some things CAN be ruled out.

I didn't. But I do now. (Possibly: it's one explanation.)

8. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Says who? Many species of bird are known to have concentrations of iron in their brains, and these concentrations work just like ordinary compass magnets. We have lots of iron in our bodies too, our blood cells couldn't carry oxygen without it, we just don't have the ability to use it for navigational purposes because we never needed to evolve that trait for our survival. I find it utterly absurd that quantum effects would be needed to explain anything in biology beyond the molecular level.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

10. CptBork Valued Senior Member

And? I don't see any references to confirmed studies proving anything. All I see are some casual magazines and journals speculating on this stuff, most of them based in India. Again, utterly absurd that quantum effects would be directly harnessed in a bird.

11. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

Did anyone see anything other than the original statement? I did not see references to a published article, nor any other comments from researchers.

12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

The tv shows are grand hoaxes.

Just think about it. Most 99% of people never see a ghost in their ENTIRE LIFE, yet these guy manage to find them on a weekly basis.

And plus, think about just how little effort it would take to be able to fake it?

As far as infrared goes, you can jsut doctor away with it, aint too hard. As far as creepy sounds, hell, you could just have a five year old blowing into an empty coke bottle to get the effect.

Doors suddenly closing. Pfft, between the nails, the little motor, and string, itd cost around 60 dollars or less per door.

The fact is they fake it.

Whether or not there are real ghosts? I dont know, and i probably dont care.

But i know as a FACT that what they are bullshitting people with arent real.

Why do you think theyre showing it on the scifi chanel?Because its SCIENCE FICTION, if it were fatc itd be on the discovery chanel.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  14. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Mind you, on closer look there might be a misunderstanding regarding this Quantum Zeno effect and its possible use by birds. I found one article that discussed more conventional explanations for bird migrations, but there is a bit of a mention of the quantum zeno effect, as it applies to certain chemical reactions. I don't know enough about quantum physics and birds to say whether birds might make use of some chemical effect whose origins lie in the quantum zeno effect. When I make use of a compass magnet, I don't tell everyone I'm taking advantage of electron spin ferromagnetic effects, I simply say I'm using a piece of magnetized iron.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

That was my thought too, someone's delving too deeply into things IMO.

16. yasmin Registered Member

@CPTbork
    thank you again I will check those links.
    In my opinion, if humanity ever got any advance it whas because someone believed something beyond the obvious. But every research starts by observation of facts. If people are cynical and are too busy diproving facts then there is no advance in science, as I think is easier to disprove than to prove facts.
    It is interesting that people choose to believe in Einsteins' theories about the Universe,which are not base on common everyday observation, just the ownership of an elite of scientists. Yet these paranormal phenomenon experienced by regular people are downplayed even when Einsteins idea of parallel worlds as a consequence of the electron's spin, could explain them (according to my humble opinion)

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

If by "facts" you're talking about psychic abilities (etc) then be aware that there are no "facts" - simply anecdote, misinterpretation and deception.

Oops, wrong.
    "Elite of scientists"?

Einstein has been demonstrated to be correct.

Einstein's parallel worlds?
    And no, it couldn't explain them.

18. yasmin Registered Member

Thank you! But I am looking for something concrete, that can be proven, measured, repeated. Psychology is rarelly concrete. I think i will start by checking the companies that manufacture the instruments to detect these electromagnetic phenomenons and track back the inventors. I doubt they maight have been developed to detect ghosts specifically.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Then you're out of luck with ghosts etc.
    If they could be measured, proven and repeated they'd be science by now, not pseudoscience.

One problem with that is what frequencies do you need to detect ghosts?
    That's one reason why science doesn't take much notice: they can't be detected by scientific instruments...*

* Most likely because they don't exist, but the woo woos tend to have other excuses explanations.

20. yasmin Registered Member

To dywyddry
    Good we finally got a physicist here! what an honor! Can you give me some names of the sciensits that disproved this theory? This was big about 20 years ago and I know there were serious research going on where they managed the nuclear particles, with matter and anti matter issues. Do you know anything about this?

21. yasmin Registered Member

I'll check them any ways! thank you!

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Please, a mere dabbler. The real physicists wouldn't get close

Naturlich.

Disproved which theory?

CERN?
    First I've heard about them having anything to do with it (but then again the topic of conversation was mostly about the price of beer the last time I talked to anyone from there

).

23. yasmin Registered Member

The theory was based on the theory of relativity??? that the fact that the electrons can spin in different directions could create different realities according to how the electron was spinning and the impression that I've got was that they were doing research by exposing atoms to strong electromagnetic fields to manipulate the spins of electrons or something like that???

LOL!

I'll check and let you know what I find!