Is the universe finite?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by IamJoseph, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamJoseph Banned Banned

Do the math. How long does it take for one specie to develop? How many species and sub-species does the earth contain?

Yes, we are the last species. When we are told of any new species post-humans, like new forms of virus, this applies to following their own kind/species/trajectories. Notwithstanding a new species has to be a more elevated life form: read, more elevated than any other - else elevation [evolving] has no meaning. We have not seen a true new life form for millions of years, or at least since man was around - but we should have seen billions. This then gives the ratio of time which must apply of all life stemming from one life.

Agreed. Each species graduates to further the requirements of its own, not of another - they follow their own kind. In effect, what ToE calls survival of the fittest must better be called destruction of a species. Change is being transcended by another - making a death of the former. This again reduces the time factored display of trillions of life forms occuring the last billion years on earth. One must differentiate elevations within the same group - and that which constitutes a wholly and holistically new life form - else we are subscribing to genesis, not ToE.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IamJoseph Banned Banned

Why fail - you repeated what I said.

No sir. You must distinquish between following their own kind - and also having the same base elements [all from one dust]. The former shows why apes follow the ape species; the latter explains the commonality. This is Genesis - not ToE.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Why does Genesis regard humans as a "separate" species, and what exactly are humans separated from? The rest of the world? I don't think that works very well.

Oh bupkis, I missed this before:
    The last species of what?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IamJoseph Banned Banned

[1]. Genesis says all life are basically made from the same elements of the earth, which it refers to by a mysterious word translated as 'dust' of the earth. This refers to everything which is from this planet, like phosperous, water, fire, iodine, salt, quarks, molecules, mud, etc. This explains the commonality and why one species can resemble another. Its vindicated. It also answers your question, FROM WHAT?

[2]. Genesis also says each species will follow their own kind. This too is vindicated.

ToE is saying one above [1] is its proof all life emerged from one singular life ultimately.

In effect, ToE is agreeing Genesis is half right. My view is Genesis is right on both counts.

8. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

But you haven't answered the question: what makes humans separate, and what are they separated from?
    It can't be the world; it isn't the animal kingdom; humans eat plants so it isn't the plant kingdom. In fact humans aren't separated at all from myriads of other species, on which they depend.

The separation is actually the one that humans themselves consider is a function of intelligence. But intelligence is just one of a myriad of evolved functions. So we separate ourselves, by thinking , with, you know, our brains, that there is a qualitative difference between humans and any other lifeforms.

I wonder if chimps think humans are inferior to chimps? Would it make any difference to humans? Does it make a difference to chimps or chipmunks if humans think they are less intelligent?

Humans saying they are more intelligent, is like a beaver slapping its tail. Wonderfully adapted tail, mind you.

9. IamJoseph Banned Banned

1. All came from one [Genesis], then [2] seperation thresholds were made to distinguish them [Genesis]. The seperation thresholds are very real and reflect [3] 'EACH FOLLOWS THEIR OWN KIND' [Genesis].

ToE uses 1 to prove 2 and 3. But all three are vindicated best via Genesis' mode of evolution - the first one, 1000's of years before Darwin shouted Eureka!

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Galileo didn't refute a flat Earth. That job was done about 1600 years earlier.

Even if the odds for life on any given planet are very low, in an "immeasurably vast" space with lots of "space bodies", the odds are good that there is life elsewhere.

That doesn't decide the question. The universe is infinite, yet it expands.

Changes have to do with time, not space. Are you still confused about the difference between time and space?

I've previously explained to you that this is factually wrong.

Now that you've been corrected many times on what the latest scientific findings about this are, you will stop making this basic mistake, I hope.

Cats and dogs are both mammals. Both vertebrates. Both animals. Both share many of the same internal organs and bone structures. Both share large fractions of their DNA.

To claim that they are unrelated is just ignorant.

There has been plenty of time - about 4 billion years.

Bears fill a particular environmental niche. They have a lower brain-body mass ratio than human beings. Their niche did not select for a large brain.

You lack any understanding of the theory of evolution. That much is clear.

I've previously corrected you about this error. I am happy to answer questions if you didn't understand the explanation.

From what?

Yeah, and the ipad is the last electronic e-reader device. No, wait! Samsung just brought out a new one. So that must be the last one.

We haven't seen a new e-reader for several months. My guess is that we should have seen .. er ... 7. Something is wrong in computerland. The theory of computer development doesn't work!

11. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

12. IamJoseph Banned Banned

Its the principle - he had to prove his refutation of the then held flat earth.

No. This looses against the available evidence. Vastness alone does not impact here.

Do you honestly believe that - or just defending for the sake of it, as in a religious belief? I guess it depends what definition one has of infinite. The traditional understanding is that which has no beginning or end. Like eternal.

Time is generic, space, if it changes, is dependent on time generically - as are all things. But when a change occurs, I agree this is the sole factor which defines finite and infinite. It is quite errie how this is done in the Hebrew bible, occuring as a response of Moses asking what is the creator's source of power. The next verse says I am God I have not changed - I am the God of your forefathers [ who lived 400 years earlier and in another region - here the mastering of both space and time are seen]. I mean, aside from the fact if this is true or myth, its literally essence is great. To say that change as the factor of power, and that this transcends time and space is remarkable. Change then is the only thing which can denote infinity - this you argue about, but its clear your arguement is based on a stretch.

You gave your view - we must agree to disagree. My universe is 100% finite.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

IamJoseph:

Wrong.

Let me give you an example. I line up 100 boxes in front of you. I open one box and you see that it contains an egg. I tell you that other boxes may or may not contain eggs as well. You open another 10 boxes. None of them contain eggs.

On the basis of the data you now have, what do you estimate is the probability that any of the other boxes contains an egg? Please have a serious attempt at answering this question.

According to your argument up to this point, there's no chance that there's another egg in any of the boxes. There can be only one egg, according to you.

I believe it based on the most widely accepted current scientific cosmological theory.

Why do you believe the universe is finite? Wait, don't tell me! Because you think Genesis tells you it's finite. Right?

I think you're still confused about the difference between space and time.

Do you accept that time and space are separate concepts?

Fine, but you must realise that you're arguing against the best scientific evidence. And based on what? An ancient book written by people who knew nothing of scientific cosmology.

I'm concluding that cats and dogs are not unrelated "kinds" like you say they are.

So, updating your ancient language, you're saying that cats and dogs are both made of atoms. I think we can agree on that.

From what?

About 0.1 billion, at most. Perhaps 0.002 billion.

Not brain niche. Environmental niche. Like I said before, it doesn't matter what you think is more "conducive". The facts are in front of you.

The average mass density is less than the critical value that would be necessary for a closed, finite universe.

Yeah. One is science. The other is outdated myth. Hint: Genesis is the myth one.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - Closure and Redirect

Mod Hat — This one is over

That's it? Of all the issues you were asked to cite and demonstrate validity, you picked one? That leaves a few others, don't you think? And, yet, you chose to pick nits about the counterpoints instead of address the fundamental issue of medicine and folklore. Insisting—

"It is only the introduction of medicine as a science."

—without supporting your point does not make for a useful argument.

And this is but one small issue about this thread. The farce has gone on long enough. This thread is clearly an exercise in ego gratification for you, and not anything reasonably academic. Your arguments are smug and determined to pretend facts fit presuppositions. This is not science.

"Test Genesis finite factor - the universe is expanding! Test genesis seed factor - it is the fundamental initiator of life. Test the process which introduced the premise of incurable deseases."

You might as well be telling people to test the existence of God. A single question persists, which you refuse to address: How do we test these propositions?

But even those that can be easily examined, such as whether Genesis is the "first" anything (e.g., its age is estimated between 400-500 BCE, according to its literary structure, and appears to borrow themes and stories from earlier sources, including the Enua Elish, which dates, at its latest, to around 1100 BCE), are hard to consider since you won't actually present a comprehensible, arguable thesis. This speaks nothing of the more obscure assertions that need to be more specifically defined before any reasonable hypothesis can be developed and tested.

Such development and testing are clearly not what you're after. Rather, you seem more interested in an egotistical abuse of metaphysics than anything else. And, to be honest, you're not accomplishing anything better than embarrassing yourself.

Like I said, I'm a mystic. I'll put up with a lot more wacky pucky than some of my colleagues. But I have this little, annoying standard that wacky pucky ought to lead somewhere useful, and on that count this thread fails in every dimension. And as farces go, this is the kind that leaves people feeling embarrassed for the actor.

But I won't go so far as to call this a mercy closure. That is, the thread is not closed in order to save you from further self-denigration. Rather, it's closed because it's a waste of time. We aren't your ego fluffers.

Closed and redirected appropriately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.