Is the Universal expansion caused by ''heat''?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Dylan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Dylan Banned Banned

Thank you kind sir for your patience and answer. I know very little science but it is something of interest to me after watching a Brian Cox documentary. I think you must be correct that I have ventured to junk sites. I am glad I have found this science site as I have so many questions about the Universe and the replies are from kind sirs who know what they are talking about. Thank you .

Is there any possibilities you know of that could cause the Universal expansion? Do you have any of your own ideas of how the expansion is occurring?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The God Valued Senior Member

No sir, being polite never offends me. And it does not matter what offends me and what not.

My conclusion about you, and for that matter about anything, is irreversible and 100% true. It's the matter of time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dylan Banned Banned

Thank you kind sir for your post, it is however beyond my understanding and education level at the moment.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

That still means that of the matter in the universe, 5% is ordinary matter and about 27% is dark matter.

8. Dylan Banned Banned

Please kind sir, what is ordinary matter and what is dark matter?

9. Dylan Banned Banned

My apologies kind sir's for the ignorance. I have just looked up this dark matter on the Wiki you mentioned , it says on here that dark matter is hypothetical and not observed to exist?

''Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter distinct from baryonic matter (ordinary matter such as protons and neutrons), neutrinos and dark energy. Dark matter has never been directly observed; however, its existence would explain a number of otherwise puzzling astronomical observations.''

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Hang on, that's a somewhat misleading statement. It has not been directly observed. But then nor have molecules. That does mean they have not been "observed to exist"? There is abundant observational evidence for the existence of molecules. But it is indirect.

There is evidence for the existence of dark matter, through the observed rotational behaviour of galaxies, which does not correspond with estimates of their mass based on the stars they are observed to contain. So there is gravitational evidence for it. The problem is to account for what it can be comprised of.

11. Dylan Banned Banned

Thank you kind sir for you reply. I think I understand what you are saying, you can not directly observe the dark matter as in seeing it or detecting it, but you can see a consequence of actions that indirectly show the possible existence. Would that be what you are saying?

12. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

So are we done with the discussion the expansion of the universe?

If you want to discuss dark matter perhaps you should start another thread. Members may be confused when we change subjects mid discussion.

13. Dylan Banned Banned

My apologies kind sir, I thought dark matter was the cause of universal expansion from the trash site I viewed earlier.

I still have questions on the expansion please kind sir.

What other known forces is there that can expand things apart like heat does to a gas?

14. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Well, now you know that dark matter is not the cause of the expansion of the universe so we can go back to the expansion.
    OK
    Particle with like charges will repel each other.

Keep in mind we are talking about the expansion of the universe and not the expansion of a gas. In other words we are talking about the expansion of space - not matter.

15. Dylan Banned Banned

Thank you kind sir for your answers. I thought as mentioned in post 9, we were talking about a metric expansion, a change in measurement between bodies.? I am not sure if I am misunderstanding you here but you sound like you are saying that the space itself is expanding as liking to an elastic band.

16. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yes, exactly.
    If you look at a galaxy that is 5 billion light years away from our galaxy you will see that distance between our 2 galaxies is getting larger. The galaxies are not moving through space away from each other the space between them is expanding.

17. Dylan Banned Banned

Thank you kind sir, earlier on in the thread it was said that space could not expand by heat because space was not like molecules. Could you please kind sir quote from any link where it says that the space is expanding? Could you also please explain kind sir, the physical properties of the expanding space?

18. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes exactly. This indirect observation of the effects of something we hypothesise is quite common in science. I suppose we would gain further confidence in the dark matter hypothesis if we were able to get either another class of independent observation of it, or a theoretical basis for it. At present we don't have these things. But that's how science advances.

19. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I've already given you two of these links, in posts 9 and 13. Why do you need more?

20. Dylan Banned Banned

Thank you kind sir, I asked for a quote from any link , not new links. A quote that says that space itself is expanding.

21. Dylan Banned Banned

Thank you for your clarification kind sir.

22. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I will agree I said something like that.
    Sure.
    According to cosmologist Joel R. Primack
    It is the expansion of space, between the time when the stars in these distant galaxies emitted light and our telescopes receive it, that causes the wavelength of the light to lengthen (redshift). Space is itself infinitely elastic; it is not expanding into anything."
    This is from an article in Scientific American

Like what? It is space.

23. Dylan Banned Banned

Thank you kind sir for your reply. You say:Like what? It is space, but in the quote you provided it says:Space is itself infinitely elastic.

You seem to be suggesting that space itself is made of nothing , it just being space. Where the provider of the statement Joel R. Primack seems to be suggesting space has elastically properties which is suggestive of some form of material. Accordingly also does not mean the statement is true, accordingly means it is Joel R. Primack's belief unless there is evidence of the claim of space itself is infinitely elastic?

Like yourself kind sir, I to do not think or know that space is made of something.

Please kind sir , referring back to an earlier post by yourself, you say :Particle with like charges will repel each other.

Could you please explain what you mean by this please kind sir?