Is the Pope slamming Islam for what the Vatican and Christianity used to do?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

At some point in history our ancestors - all of our ancestors - practiced slavery. Does that mean we have to bring back slavery? Seriously....get real. The Catholic Church has changed. People and institutions do change.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Slavery is still with us and so are the immoral religions like Christianity and Islam.

If the Catholic Church still had the power, they would be doing exactly what Islam is doing.

Regards
    DL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So Islamic extremism is synonymous with Islam, then, is it? I see.

It's a strange conjunction, apologists making such elemental connections that no serious critic proposes. One wonders why they do it.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

So you think Christianity "ushered in" the period called the "Dark Ages", do you?

I had always thought (a) the so-called "Dark Ages" were not really dark at all, and (b) the period following the end of the Roman Empire was ushered in by, er, the fall of the Roman Empire or rather its retreat to Constantinople in the face of a series of (non-Christian) barbarian invasions. Have I got this all wrong and can you provide references explaining how I am wrong?

By the way, a few years ago I had the privilege of attending Easter Mass in Charlemagne's octagonal chapel at Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle), built ~ 800AD. It is a truly magnificent building which provides a powerful illustration of the achievements of that period of European history.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Aqueous Id likes this.
  9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Good point. Completely overlooked part of his text.

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This is a very peculiar remark. You think a religion with the requisite "power" would organise murders, apparently. What sort of "power"? Can you explain how it is that Islam, in your opinion, has that power, while Christianity does not? And you think it is Islam that has this "power", do you, rather than, say, a terrorist cell of delinquents?

And what makes you think that if, say, the Catholic Church "still had the power", it would despatch hit squads to kill anyone who made a disrespectful image of Jesus? You can see Pope Francis doing that, can you? Really?

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

If Islamic extremists do not come out of Islam, where do they come out of?

Regards
    DL

12. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D

Did Christianity add greatly to the Dark Ages by killing all those who would not think in the literal/biblical way they did?

I think so as the bible is full of blood.

Regards
    DL

13. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Does Christianity not wish to be universal? Are they not trying to grow their numbers?

Did they not murder many who did not think as they did in their zeal to be the only religious game in town?

Regards
    DL

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I don't do YouTube videos: it's too full of shit to count as a serious source of information.

I mean a proper reference, to an article in a reputable journal, by someone with knowledge of that period of history, and so on.

15. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I'd prefer it if you would answer my questions, instead of blowing a cloud of rhetorical smoke.

16. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

You refuse to think so we are done.

Regards
    DL

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Er…..right…….

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh. So you feel it's all right if Islamists do that now? By what lights do you think so? - and not by tuo quoque, if you please.

19. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Nowhere do I indicate that I think that what Islam is doing right.

Show what you think makes me feel what you said.

A worthy religion will grow as people see it's good works. To try to sell a religion or grow it through violence is quite immoral.

Regards
    DL

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Then why make the tu quoque comparison to Catholicism? Of course all religions have committed evil acts, and do. I cannot change the past, but perhaps I can prevent the future.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

And the US, which used to support slavery, is now one of the greatest foes of slavery.
    They have both an incredible amount of power and money - more than most countries. Yet they are not doing what Islam is doing. So your comment isn't really valid.

22. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

We cannot change the past Christian atrocities but a reminder of them to all is useful. Which is why I show the parallels of the Christianity's past and Islam's present.

The weaker we can make both of these immoral religions, the less chance of them doing future harm.

They are both presently doing harm so I am just showing their true colors.

For the evils of religion to grow, read any scripture literally.

Any and all harmless beliefs are allowed by Gnostic Christians. We know that any myth can be internalized for good results and as esoteric ecumenists, we enjoy knowledge of all the myths that man has created about Gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D

When there is a victim is when that view changes. Then you see why Christianity annihilated Gnostic Christianity. We do not let the evils of forced literalism go unopposed. To a tyrant like Constantine, we were poison. One of his first commands to his new Church was to kill off the free thinkers and of course, his new tool, his Church, did as bid. It was quite a ride for free thought for the next 1,000 years.

How can a Gnostic Christian, --- and any other free thinking moral person, --- not judge other's morals when seeing someone hurt other because of the same Church's teachings today?

Can you ignore such things if you have decent morals? Impossible. Especially with Islam pulling the same murderous, freedom stifling ****.

We must discriminate and judge constantly. Every law is a compulsion on all of us to judge.

It is my view that all right wing literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists, --- as well as those who do not believe. Literalists hurt their parent religions --- and everyone else, be he a believer or not. Literalists and the right wing of religions make us all into laughing stocks. Their God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution has got to go. So must beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic. These are all evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zhlDbMfDg

They also do much harm to their own fellow adherents.

African witches and Jesus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI

Jesus Camp 1of 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac

Death to Gays.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyuKLyGUHNE

For evil to grow my friend, all good people need do is nothing. Fight literalism when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
    DL

23. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Ah, so that's what its all about: resentment of the persecution of the gnostics as heretics, in the early church.

Mind you, if GIA is representative, then it seems scholarly standards have slipped badly since those days in c.2-4th.