Is the color of the iris used for attracting attention from other humans? ...

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by strategicman, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catastrophe Registered Senior Member

I'll try to find where I saw it. It was an MB - maybe In the Hall of Ma'at.

You know what its like when you read something and forget where.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Catastrophe Registered Senior Member

eburacum45

Thanks. That was what I was referring to.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

I haven't had a chance to read all of it, but doesn't it suggest the results are inconclusive?

8. Catastrophe Registered Senior Member

"Conclusions

In spite of their prior assumption that an ability to detect unseen staring must be illusory, both Baker (2000) and Colwell et al. (2000) in their first experiments obtained unexpected positive results consistent with such an ability. They attempted to dismiss these findings with question-begging arguments. In their second experiments, which gave the non-significant results they expected, an investigator with negative expectations acted as the starer. This arrangement provided favorable conditions for experimenter effects, already known to occur in staring experiments (Wiseman and Schlitz 1997). Both Baker and Marks and Colwell also failed to mention a large body of published data that went against their conclusions. In short, their claims were misleading and ill-informed."

Robert Baker's reply concludes:

"Finally, Sheldrake's attempt to shoot down the results of my two demonstrations has failed completely and I stand firmly with my original conclusion that "it is prudent to conclude that people cannot tell when they are being stared at."

9. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

I often feel called instead of stared......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

A baby's eyes change colour over a period of several months after they are born; so does their hair and sometimes their skin colour as well.

In British Isles types it's normal to be born blond with blue eyes and change to whatever your final hair/eye colour is going to be gradually over time. This is not necessarily true for other types of people, but it's not abnormal to change colour one way or another as you mature.

I have never heard of hair being the window to the soul...

As for the connection of eyes when you look at another person, you may also notice that this works with other animals, particularly dogs and cats. I have heard in the past that predatory animals naturally look at eyes to identify another animal - hence those moths/caterpillars &c. that have fake eyes on their bodies to distract predators.

Cats in particular love to stare at you... dogs just do that eyebrow thing at you until they lose interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.