Is society stupid? Do we need to be told whats good for us?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Captain_Crunch, Jun 13, 2004.

1. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

I've lost you. Can't you just answer the questions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

It's still survival of the fittest Southstar. Now it's just dressed up in 'society'.

The bigger guy still wins... now it's only brains and money (mostly money) instead of brawn.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

If my neighbors were complaining about smells in their camp, it wouldn't be my problem since it's their camp in the first place. If they don't like it they can move simple as that.

If such a world will come to pass, I would be prepared.

What do you mean "fighting shape"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

But in self rule, brains and brawn keep your neck above water. Being born with lotsa money isn't any more "fair" than being born paralyzed and if that's the case, we should opt for what is natural.

My thoughts for a penny please!

8. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

They would make it your problem. They’d come over to your camp in the middle of the night and you’d awake to gunfire. There’s no sense wasting time arguing when it’s survival of the fittest. They’d just kill you. You’d have to be prepared for that. And they won’t move unless you’re stronger. Now can you answer the questions?

9. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

You are going to be better off or worse off depending on your parents. Even without money, people still have worth and ownership.

10. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

What questions? I thought the question about neighbors and being prepared were addressed to me?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Don't worth and ownership point back to money though? Which points back to inheritance, much like physical ability.

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

No. You had worth, ownership, and inheritance long before you had money.

Nobility is a good example.

13. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

The questions are: Do you expect to win every fight? How would you survive when you're spending most of your time trying to stay in fighting shape for the next inevitable fight?

You can't avoid fighting in 'survival of the fittest.' Without laws the fights are presumably all death-matches. If you think you can avoid fighting, explain how.

14. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Eh..

But nobility points to? Inheritance.

Of course there are those who worked to "achieve" nobility, but then they weren't dirt poor either. Which points to money. Which points to inheritance.

All I'm saying, so we don't go in circles, is that since this system is unsatisfactory and unfair, let's go back to natural self-gov'ment. That way there is no blaming anyone for your own blunders.

15. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Again, what do you mean by "fighting shape"?

16. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

We naturally form social structures... hence inheritance.

Also, when people talk of money, they mean something VERY specific. Inheritance does not specifically point to money. It points to possesion and ownership, which have always existed,

17. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

That would be things like, staying cat-quick so you can better dodge bullets, frequently checking your tripwires (needed to sound the alarm when they come to kill you) and booby traps, keeping guns oiled & ready to go, practice shooting, caching food & water (in case they put you under seige to weaken you before they kill you), etc. I think that would take up a lot of time each day, leaving little time for hunting & gathering.

18. teguy Registered Senior Member

Zanket... You cracked me up: I was giggling for a couple of min

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

No, we don't need the government to make choices for us. What we need is education. Not an education that teaches us rocket science, but an education that teaches us how to make better choices.

If people knew how to make good choices, the world would probably be a perfect place to live.