Is sciforums a place for kids.

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by skaught, May 13, 2008.

?

Should children be allowed at sciforums?

1. Yes

53.4%
  2. No

46.6%
  1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I was given an infraction by our great and powerful admin JamesR for the following:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1849468&postcount=43
    I am not complaining. I breached rules, and got what I had coming. However, it made me think, is Sciforums a place for minors? Many people have verbally abused our friend BG. I think that more often than not, she asks for it by resorting to petty insults anytime someone disagrees with her. Then as mature adults, some of us sink to her level and insult her back with insults that should not be thrown at 14 year old girls. Admins and Mods can’t very well prevent this, and they can’t very well go and ban anyone and everyone who insults or argues with her. I think that for her own protection she should be asked to leave, and in the future, children should not be allowed on sciforums.

Discuss...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Not to mention, some of the material on this site may not be suitable for people under the age of 16 or so.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Good point, I think they would simply be wasted space and just create threads that turn into flame wars. *hint*

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Theres no way to tell what a person's age is.

I dont think we should be censoring ourselves for family viewing.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

stupid fucks

COPPA Policy

All users under the age of 13 must seek permission from their parent or guardian in order to gain membership of the SciForums.com forums. While we welcome participation from members under 13, we require that a parent or guardian fax or mail back a signed permission form before we grant membership.

If you would like to start the registration process prior to us receiving a permission form, check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

A copy of the permission form can be downloaded here.

For more information about the registration process, or the SciForums.com forums in general, please send email to zox@sciforums.com.

sci's insurance policy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

go on
    git!

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

This forum doesn't appear to be too... how would you say... well family oriented. At least not now, I don't know about what it was like before.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

facist pig
    some of sci's finest were goddamn kids!
    you seek to deprive sci of intellectual input
    you seek to deprive kids of an outlet for potential growth

You Wish to Dumb Down Human Civilization!

you sir, are a horrible horrible .........thing!

/saddened

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  11. Gustav Banned Banned

YOU WANT THEM TO WATCH TELEVISION!

/aghast!

12. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

If only Sciforums could be deprived of Gustav. That would be one way to improve the intellectual input.

A man can dream….

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't think kids should be banned thats terrible. You can learn so much from children. Different age groups allow for different perspectives and ideas. I think, but maybe I only think this because I'm hardly more than a child myself. :shrug:

14. Gustav Banned Banned

well that sucks
    i perused your contribs
    you post well

i aint that bad really

/hopeful

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

What's the definition of kid? If one is old enough to enter a forced polygamous marriage and to have sex with her uncle, then she is old enough to post on Sciforums!!

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I agree that we can learn a lot from kids. And I happen to like the company of kids very much. I have numerous nieces and nephews. Which is what brought me to this thought in the first place. I have a niece who is 14 years old. And if she was on a forum where people said things to her like people say to BG here, I think her parents would probably block that site if they knew, and if they didn't know, I would tell them and suggest they block it. There are other science forums all over the net that are directed towards a younger crowd and have higher standards. I think that places like that are more appropriate for BG, and if I wanted to learn things from kids, then I would go and join a site like that.

I just don't think that sciforums is a place for minors. Many things said in threads here, and numerous wiki entries are definitely adult content. I think that when someone signs up, they should have to enter a birthday that reflects an age of 18 or higher. And when it is obvious that someone lied about there age, they should be banned. Anybody could tell by reading BGs posts that she is seriously immature and under the age of 18.

But thats just my opinion...

17. Gustav Banned Banned

wtf?
    you know my sister?

18. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

This question is really related to what you consider a 'kid' to be.

If you consider a kid to be someone who cannot handle certain subjects or ideas (often ending up in posts and posts of ignorant thoughts toward that idea) and uses this forum for many childish uses, then yes, 'kids' should not be allowed here on this forum.

However, if you define a kid to be someone who is under the age of 18, then no, I detest this thought.

Don't think about their physical state of growth, think about their intellect.

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

No unfortunately.

20. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I was technically a kid when i joined at age 15. But some people are more mature than others, and less naive. It is a place for kids to mature and change their ideas. But in the case of BG14, I think it was the user, not the age that was the problem.

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I agree, But we all have the ability to ignore or use such people as we wish.

22. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Gustav mentioned COPPA. It regulates users who are under the age of 13. They have to seek their parents' consent to visit and to post on this forum.
    And not only on SciForums. Every forum has COPPA and it's been set to 13 years.

What COPPA is missing is the fact that 14,15 and 16 years old are still children.

I'm fond of idea that COPPA should varies depending on forums' content. Or to say precisely, to establish COPPA based on rating - thing like PG, R and M or 13, 16 and 18.

I know it sounds radical, but that would solve many problems. I know there's a plenty of students under the age of 18 who came here to ask, read or even learn something. But, in most of cases SciForums doesn't provide such environment.
    Ok, someone would say, users can learn a lot of things here, despite the fact that disclaimer says this is the M board.

On the other hand, age doesn't mean maturity, so we have members who are 17 and who provide better and more scientifically oriented content than some member who are 20 or 30 years older than them.

So who the 'kids' really are?

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i agee, i don't think we should either, if kids lie about they're age, (and they often do), then its they're fault if they see somthing they didn't want to, if they want to be grown up's then it's up to them!

also, shouldn't the perents be watching what young kids are doing over the internet?