Is Science a value system?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Magical Realist, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Many people happily live on islands without modern conveniences or scientific innovations. All it takes is knowledge and skill in relying on and using raw materials and natural resources. Most your wondrous conveniences rely entirely on electricity and fuel of some sort, something that would be lacking on an isolated island anyway. Technology assumes a societal infrastructure of energy generation in order to be useful. It assumes a reliance on factories and stores where such gadgets and their parts can be manufactured, purchased, and serviced. Without all of this most all technology would be useless if not totally nonexistent. Let's see YOU survive on an isolated island with your refrigerator, your computer, your car, your electrical lights, your radio and TV, your microwave oven, your air conditioner, and your hairdryer. None of that would be of any use to you.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

It would to me; I'd bring my solar power system. (Well, everything but the hairdryer and TV; not much use to me even now.)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Ahaa! At last an answer!!!
    Firstly let me get to the scenario of living on an Island. Yes, I have done that! Only for six weeks but I certainly have done it. An Island called Nananu I Ra in the Fijian group of Islands, in the early eighties, and there was no electricity.
    But still we used [and the locals used] the science of reason, and experiment etc. It's called the scientific method and actually comes quite naturally to thinking people.
    Science is organized knowledge and the systematic classification of experience, as much as you may try and deny that fact.
    Yes they have electricity now, and a luxury resort and phones and fridges etc etc . They live far better now then before, due to the coming of electricity and other benefits of science...far more comfortable...better fishing methods...better farming...better knowledge...better science.
    Other questions you have conveniently side-stepped.
    Is this philosophical nonsense you are preaching like a religion, just an excuse to be controversial? and to maybe hone your debating skills?
    Because in essence, it certainly is not based on fact! That's 100% certain!
    Why do you ignore the obvious, and the obvious advantages of science?
    A well know Philosopher once said.
    "Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don't know".
    :Bertrand Russell:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I see. So NOW where talking NOT an isolated island, but one connected to societal infrastructure to the mainland by things like ships and planes. One that has stores and a power grid and gas stations with roads and cars and McDonald's and lots of other people who can help you out. Nice shift of the goal posts there. I have to be isolated. You get to go to a resort in Fiji. lol! No...we're talking the same exact conditions here. No civilization. Just a deserted isolated island and yourself. I would be fine. You'd be a floundering nutcase.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Are you being purposely obtuse? Or does this just come naturally?
    I did also say......
    An Island called Nananu I Ra in the Fijian group of Islands, in the early eighties, and there was no electricity.
    But still we used [and the locals used] the science of reason, and experiment etc. It's called the scientific method and actually comes quite naturally to thinking people.
    Science is organized knowledge and the systematic classification of experience, as much as you may try and deny that fact.

PLEASE NOTE: NO ELECTRICITY AT THE TIME I WAS THERE!!!!!!!

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

QUESTION: Considering the ignorant misrepresentation of what I have said, and the associated agitation and grasping at straws, perhaps we need to consider who this floundering nut case is? Just asking.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So you WEREN'T living on all the technological conveniences you are claiming are so necessary for survival? You were relying on the practical knowledge and skill of other people who knew how to survive without science. How to fish and grow food. How to build a fire and a shelter. How to dig a well for water. NOT science. Just primitive survival know-how. So you're living proof you CAN live on island, though not an isolated one, with other people, without science. Thanks for confirming that.

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

But it is science!!You are just plainly being obtuse.
    Got it?

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No it isn't. People have been organizing knowledge and classifying their experiences long before science came along. Cultures have been handing down methods and skills and techniques for survival that preceded science for ages. It's simple practical how-to knowledge, like how to build a house or how to fish or how to cook. It's not science. It's culture:

• Culture is the sum total of the learned behavior of a group of people that are generally considered to be the tradition of that people and are transmitted from generation to generation.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes it is. And people far more advanced in knowledge, acknowledge that fact.
    But you keep up with your philosophical claptrap. It won't change a thing, nor change or eliminate the continued benefits of science.
    Have a good day. I'm off on Important leisure time.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Once again, you're offering no reasoned counterarguments to my points. You just keep repeating the same assertion over and over. You're a waste of my time. I think I'm done with you here.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You mean as opposed to your own opinionated philosophical clap trap?
    You still stand there and deny that astronomy/cosmology and our space endeavours has not, does not benefit mankind?
    No you are wrong. I have plenty of reasoned arguments....They just don't bear out your agenda.

16. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

...casting aspersions...unsupported accusations...

...and who, exactly, is this "all and sundry"??

uatoabh!!!

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, just the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, with regards to yourself. And that can obviously be supported by others here, that were a witness to your less then adult antics in the past.

Now please dmoe, you are side tracking the issue here.
    If you want to express your usual anti science sentiment, go ahead. And the usual reputable people will show you up for what you are.
    Or alternatively, go back into hibernation.
    I don't really care my ol mate.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

still...uatoabh!!!

...presume...assume...

...still...

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And yet we have the would be's if they could be's, the insufferable God Botherers, and the general run of the mill, anti science crank, spewing their venom against science.
    One could ask, why are they here?
    [1]Science has helped rid the world of many scourges, such as the ruling overall might of the church.
    [2] It has revealed reality over myth, and given us on Earth a truer perspective of ourselves.
    [3]Try living in a world without science and we would be back in the dark ages.

20. river

From at least posts #161-173 seem to be well thought out pad ...whats the problem ?

21. river

Venom against science .....really pad , is that you think some of us are ....?

You are wrong , so wrong

22. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

...yes, too true, river...but the Post Count!!!

23. river

Perhaps

But the truth is now known

Now perhaps now we can look forward .......it would be a good attitude to have

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.