Is revenge inferior to non-revenge?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by tablariddim, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Onefinity:

I was asking if you could elaborate on your views, not that it was elaborate (byzantine, labyrinthine). Sorry for the confusion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Onefinity Registered Senior Member

There was no confusion. I understood exactly what you meant.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Onefinity:

Then I am afraid...I don't understand your response...?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Onefinity Registered Senior Member

Oh, I am disappointed. Is this too poetic? Look at what your question was to me originally. Then look at my response:

"Advancing to another wholeness" (or something to that effect)

Then look at the word you used in your query:

"Elaborate?"

Then look at my response:

"Precisely."

Here is a clue: What does it mean to elaborate? To become elaborated? Like an elaborate spider web. An elaborate story. An elaborate work of art. An elaborate, elaborated, elaborating process unfolding and enfolding, becoming richer with each iteration...

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Onefinity:

So the process of wholeness is to be "fleshed out", so to speak?

9. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Onefinity,

When Prince James sez "Elaborate?" he means 'Would you elaborate on this?'.

10. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Water:

He knows. He was just trying to answer in a poetic way, as he said.

11. water the sea Registered Senior Member

In a poetic way?

To quote you:

So, if a thing is neatly elaborated, then it is more acceptable, once in the domain of philosophy ...

Eh heh.

12. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

What the fucking hell are you god-damned braniacs talking about???

13. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I asked before:

Cottontop3000,

And against whom will you revenge yourself? Who will be the recipient of your revenge?

14. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

god. he's a little cunt-lick bitch. and fuck my grammar, again.

15. water the sea Registered Senior Member

So you believe in God then, if you say that God is going to be the recipient of your revenge?

16. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Of course I believe in god. he's just a little glorified cheddar head. i'll kick his little ass the first opportunity I get. Ha, ha, ha, huahhh.

17. Lucidgirl Dreamer Registered Senior Member

I think the anticipation of revenge is much more satisfying than the reality of it. In this I totally agree with One Raven. This is even more true if you are a person of honor or high moral standing (not necessarily religious). The truth is that revenge does not cleanse the hurt that was caused, and actually inflicts new damage to your spirit. Healing does not come from inflicting pain upon those that harmed you. It comes from inner peace (as trite as that may sound) and from the cessation of running from the pain (whatever pain) was caused. There have been studies that have shown that (I'm paraphrasing here) people who encountered pain and resisted the sensation actually ended up suffering more than the people who encountered pain and were encouraged (and complied) to experience it. My feeling on revenge is that anyone who is willing or careless enough about your wellbeing to do you harm, will not be in any way reformed or punished by any form of revenge you may try to exact upon them. You could torture them for days, and they would never see the truth of the harm they had done to you. More importantly, the experience of exacting your revenge would lower your own self esteem and your own respect for humanity. The object of your revenge does not in any way deserve that price. Fulfilling your desire for revenge will in no way compensate for what you will lose.

18. water the sea Registered Senior Member

This is not funny.

Your aggravation is misdirected, and this is why it persists.
    Try a constructive approach.

19. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Give me one constucive approach, and i might. just one.

Lucidgirl, you seem to be speaking in generalizations. no matter how attractive they may be. kind of like water.

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Lucidgirl,

I love your response.

A big problem when it comes to revenge is assessing the offence. Namely, some people take offence easily, based on poor assessment of the situation in question.

So often, there is a *misunderstanding* and *not an offence* that has taken place, yet people react in full power, and seek revenge as they would to an offence.

If someone has done some harm to you with the *intent* to harm you, and you know of this intent to harm you, then we have the situation of a fight, and both parties have the same understanding of what is going on -- so in such a case, it is all a matter of power, and returning with revenge might be fulfilling for the revenger.

If, however, someone has caused you harm *without any intent* to harm you, but you don't investigate what the other person's intent was, then reacting with revenge is acting on one's misunderstanding of the situation. In such a case, revenge is bound to most likely be pointless.

21. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Still waiting on your "one" constructive approach.

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

CT, I PM'd you.

23. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

water:

I agree. I personally thought his approach was confusing.

Lucidgirl:

So then you believe that no punishment inflicted on a criminal might "beat the evil out of him"? Why then would Singapore, where the civil justice is extremely harsh and includes caning and the like, have a pitifully small second-offense criminal rate? On an even more mundane level, it is often said that the best way to deal with a bully, is to show him some of the same medicine. I've found that to be true in a personal case, as when I was in the 7th grade (just last year! [just kidding]), I dealt with a bully harshly, and he never returned to his ways again.

Moreover, it is really a subjective notion of value which you are speaking of. If someone doesn't care if they "lower themselves" your appeals are useless. But yes, you do quantify it with a notion of "high moral standing", though I'd ask you how you'd define moral and why? I'm always interested in people's views on Ethics.