Is religion the worst thing that has ever happened to us?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Just_Not_There, May 13, 2007.

1. peta9 Registered Senior Member

^Science is the answer not religion and it always was, it just took a time to get to a point of realization. Religion was a muddled beginning. Science is responsible for vaccines, the food you eat, the sanitation to keep you alive and healthy etc among countless other things.

And I think to live by a philosophy is much healthier than a religion because religious execution was not the problem but religion itself. Morality is instrinsic and is understood easily and develops so and is not exclusive to a particular religion. It is conveyed many times as favoritism is evident in religion as well as divine right to others best property by some sort of divine favoritism as justification. Dangerous, bad, and self-serving fluff.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saquist Banned Banned

but it is the only point on the topic of the thread.

That's incorrect there is plenty of land available. Over crowding is for other issues like demand on location not the lack of land...

retrospectively lets not assume religion is the cause of the negative effects.

Irrelevant to level of destruction and death in the 20 century. This is common knowledge. The scale is large diminishing it generalization is inaccurate to the truth of the world around us. The population of Earth is much much large than ever before...The daily death toll on Earth through mere population and natural cause is larger than ever before...the added homicides, then added epidemics, then add common sickness, then war...the reasons are almost endless.

scaling them inporportion tells us that deaths for the sake of religion is a small part. Overlay...the added understanding that the destruction seems to leave behind every principle of religion world wide seems to aleviate the finger pointing to embrace man himself as the probelm...Life isn't getting better on the Earth...It's getting much much worse.

at least as far as I can tell.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

It matters not that Hitler was obviously immoral. What matters it that he thought he was justified by his religion. Added to that the fact that the actual catholic powers that were did not speak out actively against Hitler.

While a religious organization did not in and of itself begin WWII, it can be seen that Hitler was motivated by religion. Were he untainted by religion, and were there not Judaism to hate, maybe he'd have had less of a reason to start a war.

Of course, megalomaniacs seldom need a reason. The point of challenging Vital's sweeping statement was that catholicism especially (and religion on the whole) is certainly not blameless for its part in WWII.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Liege-Killer Not as violent as it sounds Registered Senior Member

Saquist, you're going to have a tough time making a case that the death and destruction of the 20th century was a result of "leaving behind every principle of religion."

You're taking a situation with many variables and focusing only on one of those variables without trying to account for the rest. Somehow I don't think you'd be very good at designing scientific experiments (or any kind, really).

How about.... oh I don't know, let's see.... the rapid rise of new and extremely powerful weapons never seen before the 20th century as a big factor in all that destruction? Atomic bombs. Chemical weapons. Napalm. Aircraft capable of carpet bombing. Just as a few examples.

8. sandy Banned Banned

Believing in science as God will get a person a one way ticket straight to hell when they die.
    Believing in Jesus Christ will get them a one way ticket straight to Heaven.
    The choice is simple.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

lol. is that the hell they dont believe in.
    yes the irrationality is simple.

what if your brother, sister, mother, father, your children, any one of your loved ones, choose the former how would you feel, if you were up in heaven sunning yourself and they were down in hell being tortured.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

There are no "right" hands.

Complete nonsense. It is the other way round.

11. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Well. When you put it that way, it seems so.... deluded. Why not the belief in Zeus to get into heaven? Or Ptah? They're gods. They were here long before the alleged Christ. And more people (per capita) believed in them for a longer period of time.

Is religion the worst thing that ever happened to humanity? No. Not in the long run because it was probably necessary for Neolithic and Paleolithic man to develop routines and beliefs that inspired things like the rise of complexity and the emergence of agriculture. I, for one, am a fan of gospel music, religiously inspired classical music, religiously inspired painting and sculpture, and some of the most fascinating architecture has religion to blame for its beauty and wonder.

I think religion has run its course as a means of dominating a society and providing societal rules and structure, however, as it limits reason and injects superstition into our lives rather than rationalism. Religion is too un-yielding and inflexible to even permit honesty and truth of rational perspective when looking at biblical mythology as a wondrous work of art and literature. Instead, adherents take it literally and, thus, find themselves having to choose between rationalism and superstition when it comes to important matters of society and science. That a blastocyst has a soul and that their god rejects a whole class of people based on the gender they fall in love with are superstition-based failures of rationalism.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  12. Saquist Banned Banned

Some did...but it's even worse than you think.

And here's what I mean. Everything about WWII was about power and the Catholic church got in on that bid for power. The Clergy made a contract with the Nazi regime. After the War was over the Clergy would be the only church allowed to exist in Europe in Nazis occupied lands.

No, of course, you're correct. But the Idea of religion isn't the cause. It's the people behind it. And that is a common thread is it not?

Whether it's about War, Politic, or religion or Science the one common denominator is man and his need for power...It's no the tool he uses to accomplishes which is evil...It's man himself. That's how I see it.

You're correct. That's because there are so many varriable. YET, just as difficult is the attempt to isolate religion as any cause...very few religions actually endorse violence as it's edicts.

This is more about apparent coincidences. I've often if it is a coincidence that while the People in France and Russia and many other places are abandoning the church in record numbers and people are begining to endorse Science as their new religion...is there any corelation with the new found moral freeness much of the "christian" world is enjoying.

I don't believe in coincidence.

I'd entertain that thought by asking how many people do you think die by carpet bombing, chemical weapons, Naplam and Atmic bombs every day?

13. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Sandy, you make a lot of statements, but you don't offer any evidence of such. How do you know someone will "go straight to hell?" And how can you determine who will "go straight to heaven? "Even personal experience would be interesting, but I believe you have none.

Christians are adamant about getting to heaven, but they just can't verify there is such a place.

Christians demand proof from atheists, so Sandy, it's time you back-up your statements with some proof.

14. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Give me proof of an Eternal and Infinite Universe, and I shall believe your words.

15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I can only say that my experience of the universe has been eternal and infinite while I've been here. I don't care if you believe my words or not.

16. sandy Banned Banned

I'm not here to win friends, influence people, or try to get anyone converted. I do that in everyday life. God said it first (unless you are born again you can not see the kingdom of Heaven. -John 3:3) I believe Him. I have no proof, just faith.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

So what are you here for? To tell eveyone how "hot" you are?

18. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

And what she like to eat.

19. sandy Banned Banned

LOL

For fun. I didn't start the hot thing until I got crucified for "PoliticallyIncorrectHottie"

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

thats a classic.

peace.

21. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Is the smell of sock puppet rising again?

22. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Jesus was the worst thing to ever happen.

23. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

but he isn't.
    hes a myth just like mithra, gigamesh, etc....
    but I do see your point however, the thoughts behind this fictional character are the killers of men and the destroyer of common sense.

and sandy: as thats not you in the picture/avatar it's actress Christie Brinkley, what do you really look like is it anything like this, as this is a real hottie.

and she's extremely Politically Incorrect.

Last edited: May 17, 2007