Is rap really a genre of music?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Facial, Jul 26, 2005.

?

Is rap music?

1. Yes, rap qualifies as a type of music.

59 vote(s)
    70.2%
  2. No, it is something else.

25 vote(s)
    29.8%
  1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I saw and heard the Eighth live.
    I don't remember anything though. It was too big.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Respighi is great.

Mahler strikes me as inauthentic and of academic interest, therefore appealing to low self-confidence types who wish to appear "profound."

Bruckner is the guy Mahler's trying to ape

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

poser

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. water the sea Registered Senior Member

In my experience, it all depends on who conducts Mahler's pieces.
    Except for Bernstein and Rattle, many otherwise renown conductors make Mahler's music sound rather absurd.
    Mehta should have stayed away from the Fifth.

8. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I would like to hear Q's rap music since anyone can make it... hahahahahahaha.

Which composer do you prefer = personal preference

The music I like is better than the music you like = hahahahaha.

9. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

interesting. hi.

10. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

11. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Rock can be done by anyone. Plug up a guitar and scream into a microphone. No talent required. Or is talent knowing how to smash your guitar into pieces on the stage?

12. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Wow, this is perhaps the most enlightened comment on this thread. Did you just suppose that rap music may not be meant to appeal to you!

Amazing! Perhaps this is why classical puts me to sleep and rock makes my ears want to bleed. Maybe, juuusssst maybe, I'm not the target market of the musician so I'm less likely to find it appealing.

Why does the hostility, conflict, and egoism in rap battles digust you? What, do you cry at boxing matches too? When two men willing pit their skills against each others under agreed upon parameters, then I see no problem in hostility, conflict and egoism. I wouldn't want my battles raps to sound like Four Seasons... :bugeye:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  13. hepyeda Registered Member

You are forgetting the "C" that definitely belongs in "rap"

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so there is no skill in poetical content/lyrics?,

poetry is a skill and talent on its own, not including actually sounding good and flowing on the mic,

lets hear it then Q, record a rap and show us how easy it is, and how good your lyrical content and flow is,

challenge is up,

peace.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

a hip hop battle is not a bad thign, its competition, the birth of hip hop was in the bronx during rhyme battles,

it does not effect me when i battle, i have a general philosophy thread about hip hop battles open right now, i have said thigns to other people in that thread, (insults). im sure they know its just a hip hop battle and i dont mean it, and i am sure they are not effected with emotional distress,

if you dont want to take part in hip hop battles you dont have to, wouldent you say sports like boxing are even worse then? and people shouldent be allowed to fight in the ring if both parties choose to at there own risk, you cant be forced into these games/sports/battles etc, you willignly take part,

why is it bad to have a lyrical rhyming debate? (because thats what a battle is)

who can outwit the other on the spot, to freestyle is harder than it looks,

music is personal preference anyway, so you cant say whats good and whats not, thats liek saying you can tell me what art i find beatiful, i personally dont like modern art much, but i still accept it as art, and realise some people see beauty in it, i prefer eastern traditional art myself, its all personal taste,

art/music etc, is personal taste period, if you dont like it, that dosent mean you can tell others it should be crap int here opinion also,

accept people have different taste, and agree to disagree on it, its not thats imply, no need to insult every hip hop artist on planet earth, just because you dont like the genre, because there are alot of rappers with real lyrical talent, and would hold there own with any regular poet,

peace.

16. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Some of the opinions here would be similar to those expressed about rock in its earlier days.

I will probably be a bit ignorant and arrogant towards the music my kids listen to someday. I will try not to be.

So I still listen to a lot of Public Enemy and Beastie Boys. I always thought rap and hip hop were the basically the same thing. Am I talking about hip hop and not rap?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  17. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

The nice thing about music, or any art for that matter, is that it's at its best when it's 'transgressive'. The less it intends to serve society's predetermined tastes, the better. That's how art progresses; by its very nature, art must progress.

Quite a bit of stuff qualifies as art. Even if it doesn't fit the old-fashioned, traditional ideas of what art is. Even if someone doesn't like it. Art is not automatically disqualified as art if someone doesn't like it.

18. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Rap is a verb as well as a noun. Someone might said I was rapping Friday night, but they wouldn't say I was hip-hopping. If you took the lyrics out of your fav. Beastie Boy track you would be left with a nice hip hop beat, but that's all, just a beat. If you took the beat from your fav. Beastie Boy song, you'll have a nice acappella/poetry, but not rap. But when you rap on a hip hop beat you create, rap music or hip hop.

19. duendy Registered Senior Member

what i hate abou certian rapping is the misogny, homophobia, and general air of heavy aggression. i feel most uncomfortable about tis when i'm dancing to it cause beat is fierce and i can help meself. but i feel a block to reallyletting go. but when rhymes are --not goody goody--but deep honest and erotic, i feel much more deeper wit it

i am thus seeing much gangster ra as really dangerous!! hypnotizingly so for youth etc. is it a conincidence tat before rap really took off in UKthere was minimal gangsterism with teir fukin shootings???...i'm not having that

so. listen YES it is a powerful art form. BUT yu cannot pretend it doesn't incite violence when it is glorifiying the hard cat with his gun and bling bling---yeah materialism which i HATE, and loathe

so vast room for improvement. hot riddims, getting more inventive, and ways of using voice, but definate radical change of general worldviews please!

20. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I'm enjoying our hip hopping

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

haha our battle is alright, your good for a bitch,

peace.

22. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

especially a bitch who's never listened to rap! unless it's booming out some car window!

23. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

especially a bitch who's never listened to rap! unless it's booming out some car window! night