Is rap really a genre of music?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Facial, Jul 26, 2005.

?

Is rap music?

1. Yes, rap qualifies as a type of music.

59 vote(s)
    70.2%
  2. No, it is something else.

25 vote(s)
    29.8%
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Rap is no music, it's just unintelligent vomiting done by primitive people that desire primitive things.
    If you happen to desire the same, you might like it, but I doubt that even then it should be called music.
    There's no melody, no art, no nothing, just bitching around, like they were to explode from the shit inside their brains.

Just listen to Vivaldi's "Four seasons", for example, to know, what is music, then try to compare. It's incomparable.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

So after a few months of absence I have to stumble upon a thread where some pseudo-intelligent life forms claim that rap isn't music. Oh joy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have higher standarts.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

You have higher levels of ignorance than I expected. It's alright, I still find you sexy.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, those both appear to be entirely your problems.

p.s. The thing that you think rap is music in no way proves that I am ignorant,
    though I am, in many things, but not this. My opinion, just as your's, is subjective, but it is in a higher standing for me than what you think is music.

9. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

You are a bigot in the highest sense of the word. That's not my problem at all.

Your thinking that rap is not music and your previous statement on modern art demonstrate your ignorance. Your ignorance is not my problem at all.

This conversation has been too long. Ta-ta.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

ha!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

still grumbling about that, I see. Can't say I didn't suspect that
    modern art... fascinating

11. duendy Registered Senior Member

would like to see YO try it....hummmmmm....!

12. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

music is basically just beats any way you think of it. tones and harmonics are really just different vibrating beats in the air. rap is music. but i prefer more hip-hop style myself. go listen to outkast, atmosphere, soul position, the roots, saul williams, sage francis, deltron 3030, aesop rock. some of that pop stuff isn't too bad either, but i like the underground better.

13. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Not really. Many rap songs use samples which have melody and harmony, and rap's got plenty of rhythm. Also, for some purposes of theory, one note repeated can count as a melody and harmony. I think rap's a legitimate genre. It's not from my culture, so I have no interest in it, but I can see it being important to others.

14. Silence Prolific Registered Senior Member

Few things are as intriguing as watching people argue against something in which they have no idea what they are talking about.

Your whole argument against rap music is flawed simply because your base of knowledege, as far as rap and hip hop is concerned, is so limited. I could name so many artists who have contributed to this art form in a positive way and you would no idea what im talking about. You see, those who argue that rap has no redeaming qualities are basically sheep who are too lazy to do any real research thus they listen to some liberal jack ass trying to scape goat all of societies downfalls on rap and/or the hip hop as a culture.

As far as this being the only genre of music that promotes anti social behavior? COme on now, you actually believe that? Obviously never heard of punk rock, maybe Johnny Cash, even Elvis Presley in his days was considered somewhat of a social outcast in his days. The "devil music" of the 70's with Led Zeppellin or Black Sabbath, I guess that wasn't anything right?

But then again, whether its Elvis Presley or what we now call classic rock or rap, everyone needs someone to pass off there blame to.

I wont deny that there is alot of garbage out on the airwaves but that can be pretty much said for every genre of music. My argument is that you should arm yourself with more knowledge before fighting against something you cannot understand but are quick to judge and pass off as the downfall of society.

15. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

I hate to say it but, your a racist, and statements like that are just ignorant transparents attempts to get your post count up.

16. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

four seasons plays, makes me think I am at a wedding... in a cheesy movie no less.
    come on music is about connecting with someone at their emotional place, and also (some) rap is funky as hell.

edit - speaking of post count: I'm going to reach 1,000, that is scary.

17. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

I just listened to Antonio Vivaldi's Four Season's(complete) and the Summer ,Spring ,Winter and Autumn remixes. I also listened to Vennessa May’s and Nigel Kennedy’s version as well.

I have to say I was amazed at how it redefined the very definition of boring while managing to encapsulate the crusty, arid, rancor of an old man's fart.

No words to paint pictures or create elaborate tapestries, no bass to grab the listener’s attention, no passion, no feeling, no nothing.

In the immortal words of Non-Logical-Idea-Guy, “I’m not a racist but,” this music reeks with the stench of a stale old white guy hunched over a desk trying to put a mathematical formula to emotion arousing sound.

I would much prefer RedCoat’s “Don’t Have a Shitty Day” from the Anti-Establishment album *Hint, Hint* or GhostFace Killahs “Beat the Clock” off his quintessential Pretty Tony album *HINT ,HINT*.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

For each his own, I'm at my emotional place when listen to Vivaldi, Brahm, Paganini, Vangelis, Actus,etc

And a falling pile of trash cans would probably connect to me more than most of the rap that is out there.

It's a thing of taste, one of the most subjective things in this universe. And we could say anything, but it won't make the slightest change of opinion for any of us.

19. duendy Registered Senior Member

sorry dude.....and haha, i am prtly defendin Avatar here....you CNNOT listen to Vivaldi and be unmoved. that dude was ahead of his tiiiiime....there's term for the Latin spirit, g'aite d'espirit, and that is what i herer when i listen to Vivaldi's music.....a lo of oter classical music can--it is true--seem maudlin. some of it, not ALL, reminds me of the centuries and centuries of oppression against tebody erotic particularly wite european middle class peoples have been created by.....! nd this isolated forlorness-----this LAMENT is reflected in much classical music, but NOT VIValdi tough of corse he does have melancholic movements---let me make it clear, i am not against melncholic music. it is just when that is top-heavy...!

an hah...thisis true story....i had happened on te play on TV, cant remember its name but it was about black and white issues. scene i saw------there is a white dude and a blcak dude. playing on a record players if Mahler's Symphony no. 5, and the movment playing is the one featured in film Death in Venice, which when i first heard it was SO moved i started crying, especilly the death scene at the end

te piece is SO unbelievebaly sensitive, and full of meaning and feeling. anyway i HAD to findout what it was. sos i go to HMV record shop and i am trying to ask the record seller what it is. i mention the film---he doesn't know. so, i have try try and hum it.....tis is with a queue there all lookin at me funny, haha. eventuall dude twiggeg and i got te album

anyways, tisplay on TV. as this pice isplaying, scriptwriter has black dude berating tew 'whiteman's music' for being so hrrendously wit out rythym

do you know, i was SOOO fukin angry with tat crap, even today---i saw i a few years back. IF i knew who wrote and produced that play i would give em a piece of my mind. I feel it insulted black people. to assume they couldn't appreciate SUC a powerful pice of music like that! of ALL the fukin classical pieces pf music tey had to go and pick that to slag off.....stupid fuking scriptwriter!!

20. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

try Ottorino Respighi it has that thing too, i think.
    But, but... Mahler can carry you out to the edge of the universe, not just take you for a walk through the woods (although a walk in the woods would be sublime right now).

21. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Three points:

1. Yes, I agree that classical music is very oppressing

2. If Four Seasons makes you feel "g'aite d'espirit" then that must feel like walking down a sunny woodland road with a cracker in your ass that your trying not to break...

3. You have a problem with the scriptwriter accurately depicting a rhymthically inclined person's reaction to ear-screech, but you have no problem agreeing with someone ignorant of the superior quality of music that has words woven into the sound versus music with oppression woven into it?

22. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Duendy/Avatar:

This is a rap song I find moving. Ghostface Killah and Mary J. Blige "All I Got Is You". Of course the text can't do the song justice so I suggest you listen to it(like I endured many tortuous versions of Four Seasons) and tell me if you think it is moving or if it qualifies as music. If you can’t understands some of the terminology then I’ll be happy to translate

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

[Intro: Ghostface]

Yeah, ohh yeah, this goes out
    to all the families that went through the struggle
    Yeah, from the heart
    It was from the heart, everything was real

[Mary J.]
    All that I got is you
    And I'm so thankful I made it through

[Verse One:]

Yo, dwellin in the past, flashbacks when I was young
    Whoever thought that I'd have a baby girl and three sons
    I'm goin through this difficult stage I find it hard to believe
    Why my old Earth had so many seeds
    But she's an old woman, and due to me I respect that
    I saw life for what it's really worth and took a step back
    Family ain't family no more, we used to play ball
    Eggs after school, eat grits cause we was poor
    Grab the pliers for the channel, fix the hanger on the TV
    Rockin each others pants to school wasn't easy
    We survived winters, snotty nosed with no coats
    We kept it real, but the older brother still had jokes
    Sadly, daddy left me at the age of six
    I didn't know nuttin but mommy neatly packed his shit
    She cried, and grandma held the family down
    I guess mommy wasn't strong enough, she just went down
    Check it, fifteen of us in a three bedroom apartment
    Roaches everywhere, cousins and aunts was there
    Four in the bed, two at the foot, two at the head
    I didn't like to sleep with Jon-Jon he peed the bed
    Seven o'clock, pluckin roaches out the cereal box
    Some shared the same spoon, watchin saturday cartoons
    Sugar water was our thing, every meal was no thrill
    In the summer, free lunch held us down like steel
    And there was days I had to go to Tex house with a note
    Stating "Gloria can I borrow some food I'm dead broke"
    So embarrasin I couldn't stand to knock on they door
    My friends might be laughin, I spent stamps in stores
    Mommy where's the toilet paper, use the newspaper
    Look Ms. Rose gave us a couch, she's the neighbor
    Things was deep, my whole youth was sharper than cleats
    Two brothers with muscular dystrophy, it killed me
    But I remember this, mom's would lick her finger tips
    To wipe the cold out my eye before school wit her spit
    Case worker had her runnin back to face to face
    I caught a case, housin tried to throw us out of our place
    Sometimes I look up at the stars and analyze the sky
    And ask myself was I meant to be here... why?
    Yeah, yo

[Chorus: Mary J. Blige]

All that I got is you
    And I'm so thankful I made it through
    [repeat 4X]

Word up mommy, I love you
    Word up
    It was all you, word, you brought me in like this

[Verse Two: Mary J. Blige, Poppa Wu]

I sit and think about
    All the times we did without, yeah
    I always said I woudn't cry
    When I saw tears in your eyes
    I understand that daddy's not here now
    But some way or somehow, I will always be around, yeah
    All things that I did from this to them
    Oh from drugs to being there
    Being down and out and I love you always

Yeah, you say
    You see the universe, which consists of the sun moon and star
    And them planets, that exist in my space
    Like man woman and child
    You understand?
    We got to keep it real, and what reality and reality will keep it real with us
    I remember them good ol days
    Because see, that's the child I was
    What made me the man I am today
    See cause if you forget where you come from, heheh
    You're never gonna make it where you're goin, aheh
    Because you lost the reality of yourself
    So take one stroll through your mind
    And see what you will find
    And you'll see a whole universe all over again
    and again and again and again and again

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

avatar, seriously you dont mean this right?

you must realise that hip hop is music, yes 90% of rap is bullshit i will admit this, but 90% of modern music is crap period in my opinion, but even though i dont like "pop" music, i still admit it is a form of music,

hip hop instrumental tracks are classified as music, it has drum, beat, melody, keys etc etc, and the lyrics over the hip hop instrumental beat is poetry to music,

hip hop is music regardless who likes it and who dosent,

i dotn like dance/trance/techno music, but regardless of my personal taste it is still music like it or not,

peace.