Is it wrong to kill an animal?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Dudeyhed, Feb 26, 2003.

1. vslayer Registered Senior Member

only in america, anyone with a bit fo spare time(like me) learn about survival techniques, put into my native bush where i know the plants and etc i can find foodand shelter as well as create fire for warmth

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm pointing out that it is natural to us, because we are omnivores.
    Nature doesn't care about some human philosophy right or wrong.
    And morals.. that's another subject, but I think it's just another cultural weakness.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't care how many bugs have been killed and in need I won't hesitate to kill another living being too. It's just about morphing them with my own self that I dislike. I don't eat the dead, I don't want to be part-dead. And I don't eat fish or caviar. And morals..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think you should know that I think them to be silly.
    And all those comparing plants with animals and how it hurts a cucumber, I just laugh in their faces, very loud. Even if it would hurt them (they don't have a nervous system, mind you), I would not care, because a plant doesn't die when cut.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Only in america? Please... There are a few organizations in Latvia too. One is under the Ministry of Defence and is quite popular. It even released one book on basic military and "stay in the woods and be alive" techniques. Teaches how to shoot, hunt, cook, fight, find mines, different ways of making fire, etc.

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

no, wy statement was a reference to raver_14's statement that we wolud not survive without machines, i was meaning only the americans wolud not be bale to survive, most nations have a level of education high enough that the citizens know how to survive a collapse of government or technology

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Especially Switzerland!

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Does a lack of a title make this titless?)

On Plants & Animals

Those who have read Douglas Adams' The Restaurant at the End of the Universe know what goes here instead of this paragraph.

In the meantime, I should also mention Aldous Huxley's Jesting Pilate, in which he recounts among his travels his visit to the Bose Institute in Calcutta, where J.C. Bose himself showed Huxley some experiments with plants. Bose hooked up sensors to plants and measured their vital processes. Huxley describes the circulatory rhythm of the plants as a "heartbeat", and discusses how various manipulations could speed up or slow down the rhythm. And he discusses how the plant "suffocates" when the oxygen level gets too high. He does note that moral vegetarians ought to see such things, with the implication that their morals will be affected.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Dr lou of all people can not honestly say that killing animals is an inherently wrong act. As wrong as it usually seems when people are doing it.

This might have something to do with the fact that it is usually wrong in the majority of cases of man killing animal I have witnessed.
    But when I see bushmen of the kalahari track an oryx for hours, finally killing it by way of spear after "defeating" it in a battle of wills and who wants it more, only to stroke the dead oryx respectfully and do their little prayers to the gods that the oryx return to the earth from whence it came etc etc, I can't say that is wrong.
    In the wrong vs right department it totally makes a mockery of everything we do, it's righter than we in the modern world know how to be being so far removed from the wild.
    Just being on a computer is wronger than that.

I feel, if humans want to be some amazingly righteous animal thats not violent and whines about human death, then yes, it is most definately wrong for them to kill an animal.
    It's hypocritical and unbecoming for such a self proclaimed aristocractic super species to then go and kill an animal when it is possible for them to survive without killing an animal.
    It was quite disgusting of jesus, for example, to kill all of those fish.
    I just picture him preaching all his sissy "love" bullshit and then tearing the guts out of a fish or slitting the throat of a lamb like a dirty ape.

That's the ugliest side of humans, ironically when they're trying their hardest to be squeaky clean.
    The papua new guinean tribes who hack into eachother at the drop of a hat are absolutely free to hunt and kill animals. The wierd thing is it is these people, the primitive tribes, who kill eachother with extreme regularity, that treat the animals they kill with the most respect. They won't angrily hack into some creature, or laugh at it's suffering. It's generally a rather spiritual and solem affair to kill an animal. They appreciate the animal and the natural world.
    These are the best representatives of what humans are supposed to be. It's like we're circus lions and they're serengetti lions.
    Looking at primitive tribes, you can see human instincts are well placed. Anger, vengeance etc, the pleasure of killing, is reserved for other humans. This is where violence and conflict can be personal, you and your opponent have a mutual understanding. One of contempt for the other.
    Other humans, are the reason we can feel anger, and the reason such things as "violent rages" exist. Angry violence evolved specifically to be used on rival humans.
    Hunting is a totally impersonal procedure, it's quietly stalking an animal and dispatching of it for food.

Modern humans can't help but derive a perverted pleasure in killing an animal. All that stored up frustration over a lack of violence in their lives.
    People who go hunting now will do things to hurt the animal and piss themselves laughing at it's suffering during the hunt. Or they'll make up excuses for why they're hunting(usually environmental ones- but thats the only time they'll show any environmental concern) and claim to hate the animals that they hunt.
    They're not only hunting, they, like a dog humping a leg, are misdirecting their instincts. They're trying to "fight" the quarry like it's a rival tribe of human beings.
    This is because they're stupid glitch riddled animals, taken out of their natural environment and embarrassingly fumbling to deal with the change.
    Cock sucking calf, leg humping dog, new born wallaby crawling into someones anus- I've made all these analogies before.
    A simple animal, placed in an environment that doesn't nurture it's natural instincts or allow them to develop properly, causing it to run off it's tracks.

Killing humans angrily and passionately is right, killing animals respectfully and solemly is also right.
    Not killing humans at all and crowding into confined spaces with thousands of strange humans and refraining from killing them and then taking your frustration out on animals with the advanced abilities you acquired through unnaturally cooperating with your entire species is not right by any stretch of the imagination.

Being a cocky dick about killing animals only reveals you to be a massive pussy.
    As does being a faggy wiener against human/human conflict.
    Being both of these things at the same time is the height of hideousness.

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

No, I am not unacsutomed with wolves, I also gnaw on the bonew of the things I eat, and the rest can be eaten by flies, worms, maggots, crows, whatever. But just as the wolves, there ends my need for the animal, I just eat the flesh. By the way, I also do not have a problem sucking the marrow from a bone.
    And no, we did not lose our animal instincts, we just chose not to use them, they are there if you need one. Would modern people die when trying to kill a boar without a rifle, just with a spear? Perhaps, those pigs can be very unfriendly when they sense danger, but you are too general.

Another point, if we would stop eating flesh, we would need more plants, you have to see it like this: A cow eats about 20 pounds of grass each day, the nutritiants from that are saved in the meat, fat and muscles. Some months/years which means several tons of grass later, we humans slaughter it and eat the meat, which at that point contains a lot more concentrated and higher amount of nutritiants, making it a more economical food source for us.

Just a quick comment to Dr Lou:

I never killed any animal for fun or emotional balance or something like that, solely to get something to eat. I also do not like using rifles and such, that would be too tempting and easy.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think that it is wasteful and disrespectful to life to kill any living being until you haven't a real need for it (like food). Most people in cities eat meat for pleasure, because they think it to be tasty. They don't look at is a food/way to keep themselves alive. And when I look at sausages in a shop I can not help myself to remember the film "Soylent Green" and every shopper/consumer as one of the crowd in the film.
    You might say that the difference is that in Soylent Green most people didn't know what Soylent Green is made of, well, I think that most city people don't know/realise/grasp what a sausage is made of too.

Oh, and about killing and then eating dead flesh. This is not scientific, but emotional to me. When an animal is killed he feels pain, maybe anger and hate (oh, I've well seen how animals are able to hate), so all this gamma of feelings then is in that corpse and I have a unscientific idea that it is possible that with eating the said corpse I pick up all his pain, misery, anger, maybe hate. I think it is harmful.

14. Raver14 Registered Member

ummmm ok going back to the plant thing...i seemed to be misunderstood but i dont really care anymore because it doesn't mean anything. OK let me first say this to anyone who says plants are not living things...ect...ect...alright a seed grows into a plant hence it being alive...and on top of that how else would they perform photosynthesis...making glucose and o2 but say for once we went back and looked upon the faces of dead crimanals some of them die with a smile on their face. ok ill stop here since i dont want to start crap anymore than killing the government.

and to that animals react differntly see i get deffencive as does a dog or even a fish(hence for chinease fighting fish-those little fellows are mean) but take that and put it into their presepective of how i see it... it makes no sence would you want to eat another persons flesh or meat or insides..most say no. but my bio teacher asked us this..ok you got stuck on the mountains (anywhere you want) and theres only one way to stay alive either eat the deda...(your best friends and so on) or starve then be eaten... most likly people wouldnt do it... but in a way i am saying that i would life v.s. death...just think about that factor dont just try and out smart my qualities because what you say is bullshit basically...fuck it drop it and live with it. dont you people understand the qualities of having a good time while poising your body? go out and do it sometime...ok ill drop it off here since i have to go and help out with somethings...

oh yeah dreamcatcher...a note to you enspeacially... put it into this frame then answear me the human was born and raised in a city...(i find country people better at defending themselves) and they have no spear. on further notice a boar IS NOT JUST A PIG....get that everything is not just whatever it is they all have reasons to be here think about it drop it and get over it

oh yeah and on top of that Dr. Lou Natic i completly agree with you...you just put my scrabled thoughts into the words i wished i could think of putting them into..

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

but we can farm vegetables, and therefore not nedd to expend energy chasing down as animal.

16. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Of course a boaris just a pig, we just domesticated it and created the normal house-pig. And I do not think that many humans without a weapon can kill a 400 pound boar, especially not if it is enraged, they can be quite mean...

I personally never saw much difference between city-people and those from more rural areas, but that probably depends on the people you look at, some scrawny lawyer is probably weaker than someone who has to work the fields, tend the animals and so on.

Whatever, I never said that all humans can do, I just said what they should be able to do.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

This one is a martial artist and loves to hike.

18. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

If I remember things well enough, it's the other way around. The animal burns the energy down and uses nutrients up, so you're not getting more nutrients from an animal than from a plant. If all you eat is essentially meat and potatoes, you're missing a great deal of vitamins. Well, if you're turning vegan you have to know your vegetables really well and have a wide variety in your menu. Vegetables and fruits just don't fill you up as much as meat does.

Someone who tried to be a vegetarian told me that it made her weaker. Dunno, but when I tried it it made me more energetic and less sleepy. My main problem though is that I find few vegetables and fruits tolerable, so that limits my menu to mundane boredom. If someone can offer a delicious recipe with no meat, I'll love it.

Humans naturally crave meat though. I tried that beef that's cooked with some blood and... um... I drool when I think of it.

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

From an energy efficiency standpoint, the higher up the food chain you go the more inefficient you get. Energy is lost every time it’s transferred, so it’s more efficient to get your energy from plants (which get their energy from the sun) then to eat cows (which get their energy from plants which get their energy from the sun).

That being said, not all plants are edible to humans – so since cows can eat grass and we can eat cows, eating a cow allows us to use the energy from the grass that would otherwise have been unavailable to us. Of course, the most efficient thing would be to get rid of the grass and plant an edible crop.

20. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Huh? My bad, seems like my memory played a trick on me there.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The most efficient thing then would be to get energu directly from the sun

But that wouldn't work for me, because I see the sun so rarely.

22. Little CowarD Registered Member

Sun? What's a sun? How does this animal look like? And.....can I eat it?

23. Raver14 Registered Member

see as i read it like i see it and i think about it... though some people could defeat a pig and be victoriuse...i know a guy who can but he lifts so theres his reason. anyway an enraged animal is considered to nothing an still a boar is not just a pig. never say that something is just... that is where many people would jump down your throat we are all here to fullfill a job/task an that is it. a boar has a reason to be here. but yet if you think about it if a pig..like paresay a pot bellied pig can be pissed off easily then can't they think? when they are mad wouldnt you think that they are basically saying to themselfs that they want that annoying factor to stop. see so if an animal can think then they can have a language on its own... and do not contridict the forces of nature you will not like the outcome... well about the what humans can do i just gave an exmple i mean they can kill that 400 pound pig with or even without a weapon. see some people will reach for their gak(in your cases gun) and that would be used but without that most will turn to fist fighting an so on... but if you say we should not kill other people (not saying that u did) then why kill an animal?..on further notice just stop tring to contridict everything that i say cause(i am also kind of like ok this dude has no reasoning thats solid) i am kind of like the brick wall that it just doesnt get into my head.

ummm little coward wow walk outside around 1 in the afternoon and look up the sun (if u have 1) should be there no u cant eat it....lmao