Is it right to discriminate against tobacco smokers

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Bowser, Apr 3, 2009.

?

How do you feel about the status of smokers?

1. They are harmless. Leave them alone.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. They need aggressive encouragement to break their addiction.

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. We need secondclass citizens to stigmatize. Screw 'em.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I'm a smoker.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

It should be up to the bar owners as to what they want to do. If they want have a smoking section they should be entitled to do so... if not .. that's ok too.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

And if it wasn't for government interference, most establishments would allow smoking. This is nothing less than the government taking away liberty and self determination in the name of public health based on faulty science.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Personally ... I like to see a fat tax... we will have to do something to offset all the lost revenues from the smokers quitting.

So you go to the grocery store .. you get your height scanned and you get weighed... it calculates your BMI.. and if it's high you get charged more for food... less... you get a discount.

Same thing at a restaurant

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I hate taxes, more so because I'm paying out this year, but I've never liked the idea of a "sin tax."

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

9. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

I don't like the taxes either.. but what's good for the goose is good for the gander

after all my medical insurance rates go up due to the obesity factor... yet they get a free ride

10. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Besides making a room hazy, haven't people died from inhaling too much smoke? Not saying that smoking causes that, while smoking may not kill you (instantly), saying it's perfectly harmless is an understatement. Plus to those of us of who (at least me) aren't avid smokers, it's like someone came and sprayed you with stinky stuff. The room smells, the smoker smells, anyone who was near the smoker smells, anything the smoker touches smells, and anything a person who was near a smoker touches also smells; just like smoke. Not only am I irritated for smelling it once I have to smell it all day because it follows me and everyone and everything else.

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm a heavy smoker, and I smell like Old Spice. Honestly, anything the smoker touches smells? I think you're taking that a bit far.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

People don't die from going to a bar where smoking is allowed, come on..
    Besides, they have a choice don't they ? They don't have to go to the bar..
    And if the smell is an argument.. well, lets just say a lot of other things would be banned as well.
    What amazes me most is that anti-smokers are quite happily inhaling exhaust fumes and think nothing of it.

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

If social awkwardness and inconvenience saves lives. So be it.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What else should we ban ?
    Alcohol in pubs ? Banning it would surely save some more lives.

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

A Baron Max argument. How far is too far.. eh ?
    Banning Alcohol doesn't work.
    Perhaps a ban on alcohol above a certain limit.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Banning smoking from pubs and bars doesn't work either. People don't smoke less, they just smoke at different places. Perhaps they smoke at home more now, good news for the kids.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

So, you as a smoker would propose?.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Global ban on tobacco.
    I bet you didn't see that one coming..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

You surprised me. Just a bit. I will admit.

That wouldn't work, the tobacco companies would call in all their favours and even then, people would smuggle it around.

Same reason why a global ban on drugs doesn't work.

20. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Governments may accomplish just that through excessive taxation:

Revenues Down Again - http://www.heartland.org viewed 04/05/09 at 11:03 AM EST (citation formatted to keep T happy

)

Conversely, this taxation policy can produce some bizarre implications:

22 Million New Smokers Needed:
    - www.heritage.org - viewed 04/05/09 at 11:03 AM EST

[Emphasis mine]

Interesting that governmental policy has managed to create this "unintended consequence": It requires more people to smoke or it fails to generate necessary revenue for health care - i.e. more people will be healthier because they stop smoking because the government tried to pay for health care by taxing the shit out of smokers which causes them to quit smoking and become healthier which reduces the revenue needed to fund medical care to make people healthier... ad infinitum. (I think I managed to lose my own train of thought contemplating this one

)

21. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I didn't say it killed you, but it's very uncomfortable, and i hate inhaling exhaust fumes as well, exhaust makes it difficult to breathe, but it doesn't cause me to break into coughing fits, and maybe you like coughing, but I find it really uncomfortable. I can hold my breath when I pass all the people smoking in the courtyard so I don't mind that they smoke, but if I'm in a restaurant or office building I can only hold my breath for so long. The may only bother me because I have developed a conditioned response to cough when I smell it. I guess this is one prejudice I have very little sympathy for.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Should I be all for a high tax (which you can't afford) on whatever the hell you do???

23. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

That is not in all fairness. MANY things tax the public health system much more than smoking.
    Some people's health care is more important than others'?
    After paying a lot back into the system for that "choice", do the poor receieve as good treatment as others?