Is it right for homosexuals to be able to adopt??

should it be?

• Mum and dad?

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Dad and Dad?

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Mum and mum?

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Point taken, But I still think that females are more suited to caring for children.

Some gay men are very caring and empathic, in fact, even more so than some women.

I think the main issue here that is difficult for all of us to grasp is the fact that children 'need' role models, because society dictates it. I would say that was truer a few decades ago, but since homosexuality has been legalised and rights afforded almost to the full extent of heterosexuality, it is obvious to me that we will see more and more homosexuality in society as time passes and this will eventually lead to a big question mark as to what actually constitutes role models.

In a perfect world, it is far better for children to grow up in a stable and loving family environment rather than a (temporary) foster home or orphanage, and I am sure that certain homosexuals (both male and female) are able to provide this; some people have lots of love to give.

The problem lies in the transitional period of full acceptance of alternative sexual lifestyles by society at large. It could take many decades before homosexuality is truly accepted as a norm and all stigma is lost and until that happens, any child growing up in a same sex household is bound to be made to feel somehow strange, both by their peers at school and in the neighbourhood thus creating emotional and psychological problems.

The question is, do we knowingly allow children to grow up in a loving caring homosexual environment and take the risk that they will be both emotionally and psychologically battered by others because of it during that time or, do we maintain the status quo and knowingly take the risk that the children will be emotionally and psychologically battered because of having to grow up without any real family at all?

I think that in a more enlightened future it will become far more acceptable for gays and lesbians to adopt, and I think that it would be the correct thing to do. However, in the present time any legislation that is pro gay adoption is bound to be highly controversial and could in fact be construed as merely a forced humanitarian experiment undertaken without the will of the child participant, and it would not be unreasonable to assume that the child, once it's grown up perhaps unhappily, could turn round and sue the government agency that chose its upbringing.

Challenger,
My husband takes just as good of care as our kids as I do. His Dad wasn't as good as his Mom, but that was because he didn't have to be. Men now days are more involved than the previous generations

If its a boy, the Oedipal complex may not develop properly. If it's a girl, the Electra complex may not occur.
Either way, the children grow up with a more open mind than any other child has. Straight from childhood.

Even if it did really exist the Oedipal complex is not supposed to be a good thing. Anyway, whatever strict Freudians are left (and they make up a pretty small percentage of psychologists in the US at least) would tell you that there is such a thing as transference and even if you don't have a father you will still find a father figure.

Point taken, But I still think that females are more suited to caring for children.

I don't think it has much to do with being able to care for children. I do as much caring for our daughter (feeding, changing diapers, taking for walks, etc.) as my wife and probably spend more time with her on average. As far as I can see, the roles of mother and father come into play in different ways--our daughter goes to her mother for comfort when she's not happy and generally wants me to entertain her or play when she is happy. I'm sure having breasts (what the object therapy people would call the primary object--i.e., the 1st thing the baby is attracted to) makes it easier to fill the comforter role since a young child is going to see that as comforting but I don't see any reason why 2 males couldn't fill those same roles especially for older children.

Could you please define what "proper family values" would be for your household?
I think that this would help me understand why you feel the way that you do regarding your stance on homosexual adoptions.

Our household feels that integrity, communication, and respect are all very important. I stated earlier I believe that omissions are dishonest which would really strain the integrity and communication we have developed as well be extremely disrespectful to myself, my partner, and our child. These are some of the values we teach in my household, I think we probably have many similar family values but a difference in how they are utilized.

NO>

quote / For the last time, there is a difference between having sex with another CONSENTING ADULT and RAPING AN INNOCENT KID./quote

I never argued that point, I said, the chance for sexual inappropriateness is there, and is a greater chance with a homosexual then with a heterosexual male. I say this because in {my opinion} a man that assaults a boy in a sexual manner IS homosexual. Therefore the odds that a gay man rather then a straight man may molest a boy is very clear.

As for Deviant sexuality and homosexuality there are plenty of psychological texts on abnormal sexuality, feel free to formulate your own opinion. I promise you I will not CARE what your opinion is. I will debate with you but will not concede my opinion as right or wrong to anyone at anytime, nor should anyone else, there is no right or wrong. To ask that is insane :bugeye:

1. That's idiotic. By that logic hetero men shouldn't have daughters, because they might molest them.

2. When you cite some evidence that shows that being gay means a man is more likely to molest a child, I'll give your opinion some credit. Otherwise I just think you're talking manure.

Holy fuck..do people still believe in the Oedipal/Electra complex???!!!!!!

1. That's idiotic. By that logic hetero men shouldn't have daughters, because they might molest them.

2. When you cite some evidence that shows that being gay means a man is more likely to molest a child, I'll give your opinion some credit. Otherwise I just think you're talking manure.

Holy fuck..do people still believe in the Oedipal/Electra complex???!!!!!!

Go Visceral!!! :D

I think what you mean is that Islam is more tolerant of Lesbianism and so you find it easier to accept it yourself?

Not really, Could have something to do with the fact that I was mainly raised by my mother, with my father away on trips.

I don't think it has much to do with being able to care for children. I do as much caring for our daughter (feeding, changing diapers, taking for walks, etc.) as my wife and probably spend more time with her on average. As far as I can see, the roles of mother and father come into play in different ways--our daughter goes to her mother for comfort when she's not happy and generally wants me to entertain her or play when she is happy. I'm sure having breasts (what the object therapy people would call the primary object--i.e., the 1st thing the baby is attracted to) makes it easier to fill the comforter role since a young child is going to see that as comforting but I don't see any reason why 2 males couldn't fill those same roles especially for older children.

Right, So all one of the males has to do , Is be more comforting to play the mother figure and the other has to be more stern to be the father figure,
If thats all thats needed.. great.

very few subjects totaly get my blood to boil.......this is one that is on the very top of the list.

Be a homosexual I dont care, whatever......do your thing in your own privacy and be discreet about it as you would expect any other couple......

however......adopting a easily influenced young child, who is going to have enough issues growing up in a normal heterosexual family is not very considerate to the child.......all just so you can play "house" and have your "family"

In no way is it fair to the kid. He is already an orphan will have to deal with those issues......toss in that his parents are homosexual.....which isnt very popular by the way......and that kid is going to have a very rough life.

Homosexuals may be lovey dovey etc etc.....but love only goes so far...

I do wonder though........considering the possible implications on the child being raised by a homosexual family........is it worth it for you to have your family?

Last edited:
very few subjects totaly get my blood to boil.......this is one that is on the very top of the list.

Be a homosexual I dont care, whatever......do your thing in your own privacy and be discreet about it as you would expect any other couple......

however......adopting a easily influenced young child, who is going to have enough issues growing up in a normal heterosexual family is not very considerate to the child.......all just so you can play "house" and have your "family"

In no way is it fair to the kid. He is already an orphan will have to deal with those issues......toss in that his parents are homosexual.....which isnt very popular by the way......and that kid is going to have a very rough life.

Homosexuals may be lovey dovey etc etc.....but love only goes so far...

I do wonder though........considering the possible implications on the child being raised by a homosexual family........is it worth it for you to have your family?

So, in this situation, you're left with two options. Discriminate against the homosexual couple, or try and change the stigma that's attached to homosexuality. I like the idea of doing the latter over the former.

Like madant said before, better a child has two homosexual parents rather than no parents at all.

Back