is it possible to find God by reason?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by longlostlady, Feb 2, 2006.

1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Always this dualism ... No wonder the world is falling to pieces.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

so, you charmless git, you cannot see ANY negatives comeing from those who espouse and practice the materialistic philosophy....? is that so?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

well cle i THINK water was referring to godles's use of 'we'. but see as ya asin
    when i say 'we' i am not coming on like Queenie, no. i say it to mean that not only me believes what i say

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

And would this "dear friend" be me?

I would have surprised myself with such one-dimensionality, as cole so succinctly put it.

8. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

Ask God to reveal Himself to you, and tell Him that you will serve Him, (if you really want to serve Him) if you knew He existed.
    Serve God and go to heaven. Don't serve God and go to hell.
    Make your choice.
    What He wants you to believe and do is in the King James version New Testament.
    You can listen to the New Testament being read by someone else, online at this website:
    http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html Start with Matthew and go all the way through to Revelation. You can read along with it.

9. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

ghost7584
    what has that to do with the posters question.
    "is it possible to find God by reason? "

to answer it myself, no, but it is by delusion.
    however in your subjective mind you can reason anything you like, even a pink polka dotted sky, and red grassland, whatever you imagination can conjure up.
    so in this sense if you wish, you can find a god by reason, but it will only be personal to you, it will only ever be subjective.

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Answer to original question:

No,belief in god is based on faith, as we cannot prove neither disprove.

Myself I believe in 'god' this is my choice, it is without logic or reason, but it is based on my own life experiences, observations, as oppose to anything taught.
    I therefore rely on my self as the source of my belief.

Check out the thread 'why are believers anti science' there are some great arguments for and against in that thread

11. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

Beliefs are all subjective evaluations however, and usually grounded in previous beliefs, and that is the fundamental problem with them- the tendency for an infinite regress, and, Faiths (capital F) are simply [sets of beliefs], and so Faith is nothing special in that regard.

As for Gods, they are all imaginary. Definitively. If one wishes to equivocate imagined existence with actual existence, they may do so at their own peril. Interested persons should be able to find an .mp3 or .wmv of Infidel Guy's radio interview with Franc Trembley on the topic of "Strong Atheism." It's an excellent introduction to SA arguments.

Greetings

12. Gustav Banned Banned

i can speculate about a creator god
    i can also speculate about a time when humans have some or all of the qualities attributed to this god

god can create
    so can i
    the difference is in scale and complexity
    easily overcome in time

therefore, i find this god, a mundane speculation
    quite different from conjuring up flying reindeer

?

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

firstly,

how on earth does anybody think the notion of god came about?

you have to realise that not everyone had to have been "taught" about god,

what about the very origin of religioun and the very origin of the notion of god existing?

if you track the root to its core then obviously it had to have started by somebody thinking it up,

and to think you have to reason,

peace

14. Gustav Banned Banned

EmptyForceOfChi

how on earth does anybody think the notion of god came about?

extrapolate from the human condition and capabilities

you have to realise that not everyone had to have been "taught" about god,

the speculation does not have to be acquired from without?

what about the very origin of religioun and the very origin of the notion of god existing?

the former is not addressed and to the latter, see above

if you track the root to its core then obviously it had to have started by somebody thinking it up,

exactly. a speculation from a thinking mind

and to think you have to reason,

?

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

without reasoning on subtle subconscious levels, how can we discuss anything? or say anything?

dosent everything require some kind of reasoning? apart from breathing etc.

peace.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

to reply to my post you must use reason, to come to any kind of conclusion you must use reason,

just like the idea of god, "why is the universe here i cannot understand, there must be an infinite energy who controls it all"

there is your reason right there, try to tell me thats not reason? or maybe your all not speaking of the true definition of reason, as stated by websters.

peace.

17. Gustav Banned Banned

strawman. i fail to see the relevance of something as ambiguous as "subtle subconscious levels." nor is the neccesity of any form of reasoning, to discuss or otherwise, in dispute

redundant

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  18. Gustav Banned Banned

EmptyForceOfChi

whats up with the proclamations anyway?

perhaps you say the speculations are illogical?
    please correct me then
    i wish to fucking learn

19. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I'm glad you asked.

3000+ years ago humans brains were evolving, we were a species with no consciousness as we know of consciousness today, instead there was an automatic sense reaction to stimuli, our limited language echoed in our subconciousness these echos, "voices" herd by one hemisphere of the brain through the other were then conceived to be the voices of "gods"

click

The Voice Of God

Book Review

Julian Jaynes "Origin of Consciousness in the Break Down of the Bicameral Mind"

Godless

20. Gustav Banned Banned

the abrahamic god is a primitive and moronic speculation
    yet it is not ultimately illogical