Is it fair to send people to hell for being mistaken?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Nasor, Mar 21, 2007.

1. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Thank you for your kindness!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Obedience to God is always virtuous, so, if I were an Israelite back then I would be obliged to do so. Not doing so would result in my guilt...the means to cover this guilt had been set in place by God Himself through the many types of sacrifices found in the same Law...all culminating both in Passover and the Day of Atonement...All these were temporary fixes until the time Christ would come and die for all of it--past present and future ...What you need to learn from reading the Law is that God is not to be messed with...(The fear/respect of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom) once the realization of God's severity hits home, ones need for a Savior becomes evident..followed by a sense of wonder at His grace and mercy shown to us in/through Christ:

He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

For the likes of you to listen, learn, then obey God's command to repent and believe the Gospel.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I think you are missing the point. The problem is that a person could make a "good faith" effort to decide if the bible is true or not, and end up going to hell simply because they mistakenly reached the wrong conclusion. It does not seem fair that god would send a person to hell simply for making an honest mistake. No sane person would ever reject Jesus is they believed in him. Most of the 2/3 of the human population who are not Christian simply do not believe in him, even though they have tried their best to determine what is true.
    People don't "choose" what to believe - their beliefs are forced upon them by reason and evidence. I couldn't simply decided to start believing something that I thought was false. At best, I could only lie and say that I believed it.

8. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

According to Jesus, the Law is still in full force even to this present day. For your sake and for the sake of your own family and friends, I sincerely hope that you never actually obey it.

I choose to think that you simply cannot realise the implications of what you are saying and thinking. For under this way of living a "loving" father would be forced to threaten his own children with death at his own hand if they ever thought about leaving his faith. That would be the only "loving" thing to do.

And I would call all of this, extreme mental and physical abuse!

But, thank you for the kind warning!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  9. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Yes, it IS/will be the Standard by which your life will be judged:

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe--for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus....

In Christ Jesus...a fundamental/foundational NT Doctrine...the individual Christian is--according to God Himself--included with Christ in His Death, Burial, and Resurrection...Therefore, in God's sight we have both kept the Law perfectly on the one hand while on the other have died the death we justly deserve...mandated for all lawbreakers by that same Law. Ergo: Sin, The Law, and Death no longer have any claims against us (Christians).

You (who by your own admission are not born again), if you are to escape the penalty incurred through your willful neglect/violation of His Law, must repent of your current mindset concerning God's Law, and instead allow the Law to lead you to faith/trust in Christ...as this was/is it's ultimate purpose according to God. Essentially, God simply wants you to be honest with yourself and agree with Him as to your guilt. Once you do that, He's provided you the way of escape from the Law's accusations and demands for your death--Jesus Christ, The Lamb (Sacrifice) of God for you...

You're welcome.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  10. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

You are lying by saying you don't believe it.

11. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

I prefer the Gnostic Gospels myself...you know,before the Roman Empire and the conservative priesthood bastardized it and turned it into a "control the masses" measure.
    Nonetheless ,thank you for your stern warning!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It is even more fearful to worship false Gods - a consequence you will have to eventually live (and die) with.

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

So what's the eternal supposed downside to having had accepted Jesus as Messiah?

14. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

You're quite welcome!

15. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Salvation is clearly by works and by keeping the Law. It has always been that way! What in the world have you been taught anyway?

Mt.19:17
    "If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."

Matthew 25: 31-46
    31"But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne.
    32"All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats;
    33and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.
    34"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
    35'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;
    36naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'
    37"Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?
    38'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?
    39'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'
    40"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'
    41"Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
    42for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
    43I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.'
    44"Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?'
    45"Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'
    46"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Ps.62:12
    "For you render to each one according to his works."

Jer.17:10
    "I the Lord ... give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings."

Ezekiel 18:27
    "When the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness ... and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul."

Mt.12:37
    "For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

Mt.16:27
    "For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works."

Lk.10:26-28
    "He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."

JOHN 3:36
    "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Jn.5:29
    "And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation."

2 Cor.5:10
    "For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad."

2 Cor.11:15
    "Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works."

Jas.2:14
    "What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?"

Jas.2:17
    "Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead."

Jas.2:21-25
    "Was not Abraham our father justified by works? You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. Likewise, was not Rabab the harlot also justified by works? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

1 Pet.1:17
    "The Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work."

Rev.2:23
    I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Please consider these!

16. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

"You must be born again," very simple, and your rewards as a believer will be greater when you do more within the will of God.

17. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

You have no argument with me there...What have I told you? Salvation is available because Christ kept the Law fully, on behalf of all humanity. Therefore, obeying God with respect to His command to Repent and trust Him/Christ, the requisite obedience/compliance involved in keeping the Law is credited to the believer--done purely as an act of God's grace... All the rules, regulations etc. have been kept, along with submission to its demands of/for death.

18. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Yes, it is, especially when the true God (Who's hands "you" will eventually fall into) tells "you" not to do so.

19. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

I disagree with you. You are inverting the clear meaning of the scriptures I provided and you are adding your own thoughts and desires to the Bible.

And, by the way, Jesus did not keep the Law fully. That is why the Jews rejected Him.

If the Law is still in force, as you now agree, then you would still have to kill your own daughter today if she secretly asked you to leave the faith. That is what the scriptures says you must do and that is what I was trying to tell you! To do less would be to disobey God and disobey His Law. (I am in no way recommending that you do this, however!!!)

According to your own doctrine you could kill your daughter today, according to the Law, or even not according to the Law, and still be completely justified before God.

Thanks

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

That would be whose hands not who's hands. Given the known errors in translation of the bible from Greek and Aramaic is it not unfair to send someone to hell for mistakes not of their own making?

21. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

Hetheru (Hathor) forgives all who may have worshipped a false God.
    She is a forgiving Goddess.
    May her wisdom bless you all!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

You are certainly free to do so.

False. He has told you the Law has been fullfilled satisfactorily...The Law/God often states one is not to go beyond what is required... either adding to or taking from...what is required of you (or anyone) is still obedience, obedience demonstrated by your repentance and faith in Christ, nothing more.

23. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Just as you recognise what I meant in this case (proven by your correction), so too any scribal errors would be handled/interpreted/overlooked by the mind of the reader with equal flair...that said, the chance of there being many scribal errors in copied portions of the text of Scripture would be quite small given the meticulous nature of both Jewish scribe and Christian monk, and given that, the chances of some minor error corrupting the meaning/Intent of the Author are smaller still...and not to worry...you won't be sent to hell for the mistakes of others. The mistakes you've made so far are more than enough to damn you quite fairly.