Is Homosexuality psycological or biological?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mrhero54, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Neville Registered Senior Member

How would a 'homosexual gene' still be active?? It shouldn't still be around (unless it's recessive). I'm sure it's psychological.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

If it is psycological at what point will it develop. I knew a nine year old that was one of the most flaming queers i ever met. His mother told me he had been like that since he was real little (don't know how little) Do kids develop a sexuality and know it at nine? I even remeber stories of one gay man staying when he was in first grade he remember a girl saying she liked brian and he realized at that same moment he did too. What does this mean??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ImRatbastard Registered Member

Is there a difference between preferring a homosexual relationship versus simply getting your rocks off? I used to work with this guy who used to say..."When it gets right down to it...and the lights are off...you don't know who's sucking your ...." His point was...that he didn't want to be with another man in a relationship but could this be separated totally from the pure sexual act? I guess his view would lean more toward the psychological theory....I can see his point but I personally certainly wouldn't want to be in the same dark room with him. :bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

It seems sexuality is psycological

Does anyone have a contray arugement besides the one i originally posted?

Calling all challengers....

8. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Nobody refutes that sexuality is psycological?

I guess not. I guess gay people are lying when they say they were "born" that way

9. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

you're forgetting that it is still largely frowned upon and a portion of homosexuals have acted straight throughout history, thereby leaving offspring. now there are gay couples who want to raise their own kids.

as for animal models, i can see it having its benefits. it keeps the population down. mosaic drosophila also support it being biological.

10. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

Going through this one again...

We can't know for sure which is the bigger cause of homosexuality, genes or the environment, but it makes sense that it's somewhere in between. Scientists think that the reason it has persisted is because the gene does different things in different sexes. In women, the homosexuality gene might make them more fertile or willing to have sex, and in men it makes them attracted to other men.

On the flipside, if homosexuality is caused mostly by the environment, then what is causing them to become homosexual? With no genetic predisposition, why don't more people become homosexual? Is the openly homosexual media and culture influence "converting" many young kids into becoming homosexual? People don't just choose to do something like that if it goes against society and their genes. They would have to be influenced by their environment. So I think we can agree that it is at least heavily affected by genes.

I'd also make a distinction between a homosexual man and a bisexual man. The former honestly doesn't desire women, and the latter just wants the extra pleasure. I don't think prisoners are gay just because they rape their fellow inmates. Any man could do that if they were desperate enough. A true "homosexual" is caused by your genes.

There are many reasons. Homosexuality does not do anything good for society. It creates needless controversy, offends many people, and causes the homosexuals a lifetime of pain and hardship. Its also documented that there are a disproportianite amount of homosexual pedophiles, which is very disturbing. Homosexuals account for about 3% of the U.S. population, yet they also account for 1/3 of the child sex offenses. These are nearly all man/boy cases(look at the the Catholic priests:bugeye: ). These are just the reported cases, too... and I'm sure that these molested adolescents do not like it. http://www.frc.org/get/if02g2.cfm

There is a lot of sympathy for homosexuals, like they're just poor, harmless, discriminated group. They seem rather destructive to me. Their sexually and socially deviant lifestyle often ends in only STDs, heartache, and a looser butthole.

Would you rescue your kid from a life of discrimination, hardship, and senseless hedonism if you could? I would.

Btw, how do you make your quotes show the original poster?

11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I honestly think people are born one way or the other. Who they end up having sex with is a different story.
    I think if that were the case and then I was presented with a female I would quickly turn back into a heterosexual. Probably a more hardcore heterosexual than I would have been under normal circumstances.
    Its like everything, there are studies that indicate people are born murderers, after studying the possibility I think it is almost definately the case. But just because someone is born a murderer doesn't mean they will definately kill someone. It depends on how they are raised. If their tendencies are encouraged at a young age they will become a murderer but there is a good chance they won't if they are raised well.

Balder,
    The word "quote" is located at the bottom of every post. If you want to quote something from a particular post click on it's "quote" link thingy...

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Woooo another Homosexual argument, I thought I destroy these all together once and for all!!! It is biological: due to hormone imbalance in fetal development… PROVEN. Also a claim is that there is a region in the medulla theoretically called the Sexual Preference Determining pon (SPD) in a (yet unconfirmed) study the shape of the pon has a correlation with sexual preference: all round SPD only seen in women and gay guys, all peanut shaped found in man and lesbians.

Also here are my killer augment on the subject:
    “ If god did not created Adam and Steve then why did god make Pat??? 1/1500 children is born hermaphroditic or intersexual.”

13. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

The psycological creation of a homosexual

You fell to tell me what this hormone imbalance does. Does it void ones attraction to the opposite sex, and/or make you attracted to the same sex?

If it just voids someones attraction to the other sex, how can you jump to the conclusion it makes them attracted to their same sex?I can easily imagine a young teenage boy that has a bad sexual encounter with a female. This encounter surfaces in the back of his mind before ever sexual encounter he has with a female, causing anxienty, fear, and a lackluster libido. He performs, but poorly and this causes him to dread sexual encounters. He is still attracted to girls but avoids sex at all cost(falls back on religous reasons). Eventually, he begans to belittle sex in relationships and looks for people of like mind. After meeting a girl of similar values he carries on a long term relationship. However, even occassional sex (2-3 times a year when she is horny) is too much and his continual poor performances cause him to question his sexuality. He begans to wonder if perhaps he is gay even though he's never been attracted to men. He begins to feel that he has been supressing his sexuality his whole life and decides to experiment with gay men. He finds the experience strange but more sexually pleasurable and stimulating (because of the lack of fear and anxienty) then when he was with a women. He concludes that he is gay, and lives that lifestyle from then on out. He may never have been intially attracted to men, but became attracted to gays after an pleasureable experience. Born heterosexual but psycological factors turn him to homosexuality.Isn't this scenario possible?

The SPD would answer this question but you said it's unconfirmed just as the experiment in the first post (if were not talking the same thing) was unconfirmed...

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Test on rats and monkey showed that exposure to testosterone during specific time of fetal development masculinize the brain... no matter the sex of the fetus, as a result homosexual activity was observed in female test subjects, the same effect was not seen with estrogen but when testosterone blockers where give at the same fetal time frame the brain was feminized, and the males were gay (not the happy gay).

I disagree with your hypothesis though.

15. cauflomieldan Registered Member

There was an interesting study done with twins. It turned out that if one twin was gay, the second one was gay as well about 48-65% of the time while it was something like 30% for fraternal twins and 8% for adopted children. Also, they studied 40 families which all had twin gay brothers. Quite interestingly, it turned out that about 33 pairs of the brothers shared an area at the end of the X chromosome. They are not saying that this is the part of the chromosome that is responsible for sexuality but it is quite possible that genetics has A LOT to do with it (I think so as well). I am not sure how you can be raised gay by heterosexual parents and as I know by myself, I never really wondered, as it was mentioned before, whether I like boys or girls. I never even thought about who I am attracted to.

16. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

I doubt it's biological. If it were biological, I would think that we would have evolved out of it a long time ago.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

18. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

no we would not have. homosexuals have been living as heteros since forever. kind of like the military father in american beauty. also consider bisexuals. perhaps your degree of homo- or heterosexuality depends on a threshold value. and what about mosaic flies? could it not also be a mistake causing a woman to develop part of a male's brain? hormonal exposure is biological as well and it would not have anything to do with evolution.

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I don't know why so many people expect things to evolve so quickly

I'll tell you this right now, humans haven't evolved AT ALL from their original state, we have evolved from other things but humans as a species HAVE NOT CHANGED evolutionarily speaking at all yet, if humans survived for another 10 million years or so we might evolve in some minor way but we won't live that long anyway so basically, humans aren't going to genetically change unless we do it ourselves.

20. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

Is homosexuality biological?

Obviously not!

(any more questions for the wise sage?

)

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Your as wise as a pig going to the butcher! It is biological, not psychological read above.

22. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

So the different skin color is not a genetic evolution?

I've heard that our evolution from homo erectus can be measured in the hundreds of thousands of years, not the millions of years. Neanderthals were around in the past 10,000 years, as well. I don't think we can be sure whether we evolved from them or they're just a dead end.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Those are pretty minor evolutionary traits... We have reached a state right now of total domination and evolution cannot effect us because of the lack of any environmental pressure. Give humans 10 million more year (without counting Cybernetics, Bioengineering, and over pop... ect) and we will still look pretty much the same. Hey wasn’t the issue homosexuality?