Is College Necessary?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by sderenzi, Dec 4, 2006.

1. sderenzi Banned Banned

Someone on the forums said once "college is a way rich people have of getting richer". Meaning that while you work hard you'll eventually end up working for someone that is rich while you slave away for them making them gain more wealth.

So based on this and your own personal knowledge of college do you think it's of value?

Who should attend college?

Why should someone attend college?

etc.

PS Is college just for mindless puppets?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

All ditch diggers, sewer workers, kitchen helpers, toilet cleaners, ...., need a good, solid foundation of college-level education. It's not easy to learn to clean those damned sewers, that's a fact!

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sderenzi Banned Banned

Is this a joke? I realize you are correct, I've seen specials on TV about cleaning sewers, it's just sick to me :-(

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Viruses, plants, insects, fishes, dinosuars -- all arguably the most successful terrestrial life forms ever.

None ever attended college.

None ever had to compete in any particular market-based economy.

8. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

At your age you should have formed an opinion about this yourself. What is it?

I bailed out of college when I figured out that most employers care far more about results, which I could deliver regardless. Most every job I've had "required" a degree.

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Business does not require a degree. But if you want to be a doctor, professor, lawyer...you have to have one.

10. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Yep. Are you sure you need one to be a lawyer, and that you can't just pass the bar exam?

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I am fairly certain it is required to have a degree before you can apply to take the bar exam.

12. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Seems "law office study" is all that's required in my state: Permitted Means of Legal Study (Bar Exam). Class action lawsuits here I come!

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm a masters degree law student at the Latvian University. And yes, I need a masters degree in law if I want to be a lawyer in this country.

Any way, here in Latvia almost everyone is a university or college student, it's a tradition and also many employers require if not a degree then that the employee is at least a student.

14. draqon Banned Banned

is life necessary?

15. ohioadman Registered Member

Do you need College?

In today's economic environment you most certainly do need college, to be quite honest a bachelors degree is not enough today as most companies require a masters.

Even if you want to be in business for yourself you should start off by getting a bachelors degree at a minimum. Then if you want to dig ditches, go for it at least when you get tired of that and you will get tired of it you can move on to supervising the ditch diggers.

The crap you here from some parents that they did it with out a degree is just that crap, you need security and the ability to advance yourself. Speaking as a dad with four kids I give this advice, as there have been many times that I wish that I had gone to school.

I am self employed for over 26 years and I love my work but there has been many times that I wish that I had that piece of paper to back up my knowledge but once you get a family and responsibilities then everything else goes on the back burner.

Would I be any further than I am now with a degree? I will never know, but I can almost quarentee that I would not have to work a 7 days week to be at the same spot.

Heck my son just 2 years out of school, working a 3 day week makes more than I did my first 15 years of being self employed, I could not be happier for him either.

My advice is get that degree, then if you want to work for yourself go for it! Work smarter not harder!

Good luck to all you kids!

16. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Your son may make more than you did simply due to inflation.

Nowadays a degree from a typical university will cost about $150K, and that does not include the loss of income one could have made by working during those years. Nor does it include the loss of interest one could have made by saving instead of spending that money. And if loans are taken out (the rate is currently 6% for student loans, and variable to boot) the cost is of course far higher. The total cost of a degree could easily be $500K all things considered. That hardly seems worth it, considering that the degree typically serves only to get you an interview easier. There are other ways to get in the door that cost far less.

17. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

There are 3 realistic options in life. Go to college. Go into the military. Or go to prison.

You get to choose your environment, I'd say for most people college is the best environment. You can always go into the military after college and get the best of each of these worlds as a military officer. I must admit, I've thought about the military. Prison is horrible, it's the worst possible environment and should be reserved for the worst people.

18. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Like I said, you only have 3 places to choose from, college, the military, or prison. People who don't go to college and who don't join the military, usually go to prison.

19. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

By the way, since you are a graduate student, what GPA is required for graduate school?

What is the process?

I think college is important, I don't know precisely how much college. I think after a bachelors degree it becomes less important. When you have a bachelors degree you have so many more options than you have without one, but with a masters degree or PHD, options don't increase much unless you want to teach or do something like law or management of businesses.

I think the military is an awesome deal if you have a degree, as an officer. I think being in the front line is extremely dangerous but officers actually have some status, does anyone here know the risk/rewards in favor of the military vs getting a masters?

20. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

That's obviously false; you can’t support that statement.

I don’t have a degree, yet have a nice job. My profession, software development, is open to those without a degree, and there are tons of unfilled jobs at the $70K level. A person who spends six months learning by programming at home could easily get a job making $50K to start, without a degree.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My law bachelor in a good university here cost me around 2700 lats, that's about 5100 USD, not that much. And I am working now during my masters.
    And that really depends on the country you are talking about: in Latvia almost everyone has a degree or is close to getting one, so those who have no degree find themselves really disadvantaged when compared to the majority, besides university education only adds to a person.
    Sorry, I have no idea about what you are talking about.
    At the end of school we have state exams in which you get A B C D or F,
    various uni programs require various exams, so if you want to study English philology, you have to have a good mark at the English language, Latvian language and Latvian literature exams on finishing school.
    The best starting students get a free ride for one year, if they continue to be the best, they get state sponsored education all the way.

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'm a high school drop-out.

I spent a very little time in the military (looking for an adventure when I was 18), even less time in jail and now I make over $100,000 US a year working as a Junior Executive at one of the largest banks in the world.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Still a criminal then.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!