Is Addiction Genetic

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Liebling, Apr 3, 2009.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

The hard part for scientists is figuring out what's nature and what's nurture. Of course genes only influence the physical, (not just appearance because then how would you explain blood types or Huntington's Disease) they can't influence things that aren't tangible. Do kids with blues eyes have them because their parent's do? Or is it something that they eat? I could say that having poor judgment is genetic, because the frontal lobe controls judgment people who have damage to their frontal lobes or small frontal lobes have poor judgment. If your mother has a small frontal lobe she has poor judgment and she genetically also gave you a small frontal lobe therefore you also have poor judgment. With something like addiction a researcher might look for particular receptors in the brain, perhaps people who are easily addicted to things have more dopamine receptors than average and they would inherit these extra dopamine receptors from their parents genes or a genetic mutation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saquist Banned Banned

Fascinating.
    I'm not so sure anymore.

But the question is do business or work activities manifest themselves in a chemical fashion to have an effect on genetics....thereby becoming genetic?
    We know drugs and alcohols do but we don't know if there is a predisposition although it's clear brain chemistry has changed to make this drugs a necessity... The only activity non chemical I can associate this with having a similar effect is sex and runnning. We obviously get some sort of chemical reaction going with these activities to induce us to continue but according to studies (If memeory serves) is 1,000 times the effect of sexual climax.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Agreed, it is really just a matter of what you are addicted to.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't think there is such a thing as a positive addiction. Sure some addictions are more dangerous than others, but I don't believe there is one that has positive consequences that outweigh the negative.