Ironywatch: Turks condemn condemnation of Armenian Genocide by condeming Armenians

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Mar 18, 2010.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it. Except that it's really the Armenians who are doomed.

Ooooh. That'll learn us.

Why? What would that help?

Maybe they weren't. Genocide is genocide.

Oh, well that seems fair.

British inquiries make it "necessary" to force 100,000 people on the street? And here some people wondered if Erdogan was a radical or something. Of course, why should he do anything different? It's not as though any of his supporters have enough insight to wonder if the Armenians are right.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Strange this Turkish denial phenomena. Against all the definitive evidence that history provides, the just cannot call it "genocide".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. countezero Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That doesn't change anything from the initial post in the OP. It's the same thing, essentially.

8. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

It's not strange at all when you consider that it isn't a matter of history or evidence, but politics.

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So sort of a scapegoat issue?

10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

The term I would use is "reactionary," but it all comes down to the Turks wanting to avoid politically disadvantageous labels.

We can see that they don't really object to the substance of the issue, since they don't dispute that they killed a shitload of Armenians. And are responding in a way guaranteed to highlight the fact that they still don't get along with Armenia, and don't seem to be interested in doing so.

They just don't want to be listed alongside the Nazis and Khmer Rouge, and will stake populist, chauvinist positions on that basis. Fairly typical for a resurgent empire, really.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i don't really see the irony

12. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

oh they're expelling ARMENIANS, i thought they were expelling AMERICANS...

well gee, i DO kinda feel it a bit ironic, why punish those you've been "accused" of treating badly?
    i mean it wasn't the armenians who declared it a genocide, seems they know how to treat history.. so why should they pay for the stupidity of the americans? why should anyone pay at all, let the US blabber all it wants!!

or did the armenians concur with the US's statement?

am i missing something here?

13. Bells Staff Member

Indeed..

The Armenians had declared it as a genocide. And the rest of the world also declared it as a genocide.

This does not make sense. It is a historical fact that there was a genocide. Are you saying that they somehow know their history if they did not declare it as such because you are under the mistaken belief that they have not done so?

Are you saying that the Americans are stupid for having declared it a genocide?

Is the Turkish Damad Ferit Pasha Government also stupid, since they are the only Turkish Government to have recognised it as a genocide? What about the major powers of Europe, who also recognise it as agenocide? Russia? The UN? The rest of the world?

Do you think that the Armenians deserve the treatment they get from the Turkish Government for concurring with the Americans?

Yes you are. A lot of things.

A quick bit of information of what the Armenians went through:

There is a reason why it is often referred to as the Armenian Holocaust. Those who were made to go on the death marches were mostly women, children and the elderly.

Approximately 1-1.5 million Armenians were slaughtered.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note: Off-topic posts and metadiscussion have been moved to a more appropriate forum.

[thread=100358]Link[/thread]

15. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

bells agreeing with me!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you having a fever or something?:bugeye:
    yet the turks didn't make a fuss till the US declared it a genocide???
    the world and the armenians accepted it as a genocide maybe, i mean it went without saying really.. but the world and the armenians didn't hold a fancy meeting and had a raise of hands and went through all the official bullshit like the US did, it's one thing to have people know you lied a certain day, it's another to be called a liar by...say Pinocchio

it's as i said before, they treated the genocide they suffered like most other people who went through genocide. nothing selective or unique.

yeah.. they're more of hypocrits.. but on a whole new level of that word.
    bells, you DO know the US is committing multiple genocides as we speak?

[ok, i know that'll spark a war here, so you may want to not reply to that], here;
    do you know that the US has committed genocides in their history? lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of them, it's their specialty, as i said in some other thread about the same subject, the US was founded not on a genocide, but on an annihilation of the red indians.
    have they declared those?
    well?

they didn't hand pick a genocide out of the thousands in human history and made a fuss about it, so no, they're not stupid.

unfortunatly, i guess not.
    but then again, maybe the turks made it up to them, compensated them one way or another, for them to forget it or shut up about it, it may have been official and maybe it wasn't, i don't know of the previous status of armenians before the US's declaration (omg that's maybe why the US declared it to begin with, to throw logs on the dead fire and restart the internal wars, man i'm now a political genius!)

yup, pretty ugly past, but how were they doing in the near present?

it would be a bit uncalled for now if the blacks in the US made an official statement likt the one on turky but instead to the whites, don't you think?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  16. mordea Registered Senior Member

You don't see the irony in someone responding to accusations of genocide with the threat of forced displacement targeted at a particular ethnicity (aka. genocide)?

17. Bells Staff Member

And yet, you then go on to say the following..

Dear God in heaven..

The Turks have made a bit deal about it (ie in denying it was a genocide) since it happened.

:bugeye:

Did you read any of the links posted in this thread?

It has been widely recognised as a genocide for a hell of a long time. Before the term 'genocide' was brought into language, it was deemed an extermination. The UN recognised it as such. Everyone, except the Turks, have recognised it as a genocide. There was no "official bullshit". It is widely recognised as such.

Why are you blaming the US for this?

Okay.. I take it that you are not aware that the Armenians and the world in general have been demanding that Turkey recognise it as such?

So the US is committing genocide a la Turkey and the Nazi's as we speak?

Again, why are you blaming the US for this?

Which has what to do with this subject?

Let me get this straight, you are blaming the US for recognising the first modern day genocide, as being a genocide?

Oh, and just for your own information and education:

What in the hell are you on about?

Are you even remotely aware of what happened to the Armenians and the reaction of the world during and after it?

A large fuss was made out of it and has been made out of it for a long long time.

"Unfortunately"?

What? So because the US have federally recognised it as a genocide (individual States have done so for a long time now), you say it is unfortunate? And you guess not?

Are you high? Or just lacking in basic education in the history department?

I'm sorry, but I honestly have to ask. You are so caught up in blaming the US if you so much as fart, that you are not only not making sense, but you are spouting complete and utter bullshit.

Huh?

:bugeye:

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why do they call themselves Armenians if they are living in Turkey? Do they consider themselves refugees? Is it not safe in Armenia?

19. Bells Staff Member

I believe most of the ones who are there went there after the earthquake in the late 80's.

So in a way, they are refugees.

And I think there are also native Armenians (ethnic Armenians) who have resided in parts of what is now Turkey since biblical times, and their tribes remain there to this day.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, I can honestly state that the thread has at least opened some debate.

Sam, why does it matter if they call themselves Armenians or not?

Scifes, I've never heard of any compensation being allotted to the Armenians for the Genocide.

(In unrelated aspect, I certainly agree that the US should declare what happened to Native Americans a Genocide, if not a Holocaust. However, this is a matter for another thread.)

21. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Well, the 100000 he threatened to expel are illegal immigrants, but surely, it's wrong of the prime minister to take his frustration out on the Armenian diaspora and the Armenians present in his country, whether they are there illegally, or not. I mean, showing this sort of hasty reaction right after Swedish and US lawmakers were in the process of approving the Ottoman-era killings of Armenians as genocide is not..uhm..that wise, well it's certainly not going to help the Turks' case in convincing people that it wasn't a genocide. I mean..the way Erdogan reacted reminds quite much of the happenings of 1915.

What can I say...glad to see that their aspirations to join the EU are crumbling even more apart.

By the way, speaking of genocide, were the events in Darfur ever officially recognised as genocide, or not?

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I would hope so, but I would bet not.

23. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

If it's any contribution to the subject, as aTurk, I don't think anyone's going to be expelled from the country. Erdogan recieved many reactions and he reacted back pretty much the same. I really don't know or get the exact structure of his policy or there lack of.
    This situation is very smilar to the others that happened in the past. Noone, but simply noone, really cares about anything that happened in 1915.

Here is the drill: America wants to get back to its little 'strategic ally' in the Middle East, bang! yellow card of genocide. Then just after it, -generally- the president implies nothing 'official' is at stake and in time, things go back to 'normal'. After all, the bargaining chip is a military air base just at the door of the Middle East and that's what the whole policy is about.

So, if you all manage to get down from your high horses, you could see this as the political game it is. Noone can wish more than me for this subject to be resolved, but unfortunately, I doubt that's the case.

Sam: They are "Armenians". They have their own schools and churches.