Iraq: Violence 70% Down Since June

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hani, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Hani Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We have been saying all along that there weren't enough troops to secure the country. However, this is not changing the basic political climate.

If you think things are really turning around in Iraq, you are fooling yourself. We have increased bombing from the air by 400% in an attempt to make Bush's surge look like it's accomplishing something.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. countezero Registered Senior Member

Doesn't the statistic show "something" has been accomplished?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hani Registered Senior Member

70% is certainly something. It doesn't matter what they're doing, the strategy is working

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You conveniently leave out this part of the story: the Interior Ministry said on Monday.

Maybe they are right, and maybe they aren't. The rest of the story pointed out several bombings and firefights. There are certainly other points of view.

Iraqis' Own Surge Assessment: Few See Security Gains
    Barely a quarter of Iraqis say their security has improved in the past six months, a negative assessment of the surge in U.S. forces that reflects worsening public attitudes across a range of measures, even as authorities report some progress curtailing violence.

Iraqis' own views can differ from military evaluations of the surge for good reason. Public attitudes are not based on a narrow accounting of more or fewer bombings and murders, but on the bigger picture -- which for most in Iraq means continued violence, poor services, economic deprivation, inadequate reconstruction, political gridlock and other complaints.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  9. Hani Registered Senior Member

Actually I heard general petraeus himself assures this on TV. Iraqis will never say good about anything, I don't care what they say; let the numbers talk

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He's a tool.

11. Hani Registered Senior Member

Things are getting better, believe it and live with it.

It is never wrong to remove a tyrant.

12. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Probly cause we have killed 70% of the Iraqi people

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Maybe they've killed off 70% of the population by now...

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL you beat me to it

15. Hani Registered Senior Member

Maybe...but still, the strategy is working...

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm, so if they really did kill of 70% of the population you'd think that was a good thing ? :bugeye:

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I acknowledge some positive effects of increasing the number of US troops, but this is no real solution. It was supposed to buy room from Iraqis to find a political solution, which is going nowhere.

Average Number Daily Insurgent Attacks In Iraq: Nov 06-Feb 07 - 148.9
    Average Number Daily Insurgent Attacks In Iraq: Feb-May 07 - 159.8

In fact, the surge increased fatalities when it was first started, with 69 (749 wounded) in Jun-2007, one of the highest of any month. Now deaths are down to typical levels, so it's nothing to brag about. This september showed casualties about the same as February of 2006, before the surge.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  18. countezero Registered Senior Member

You're doing exactly what you accuse the other side of doing: Playing with numbers and showing what you want in order to make a political argument. If violence is down, it's down.
    Further more you, like your party, have been against the surge from the start. So why should anyone listen to you?

19. Hani Registered Senior Member

Yesterday, I saw on TV that the number of civilian casualties in Jan 07 was about 1900, wheras in this October it was only about 200.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

countezero,
    If the surge made casualties go up, then they go back down again, does it really mean anything? I am quoting real numbers.

Even if I believed in the surge, it is working to help Iraq achieve political reconciliation? Where's your numbers on that?

21. Hani Registered Senior Member

How do you call Sunni tribes fighting al-qaida all over Iraq and joining the political process?

We've been throught this before, you just keep repeating yourself.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That was in Anbar, now it's "all over Iraq"?

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Isn't the war in which someone tried to convince us that the violence was down by omitting car bombs, or suicide bombs, or something like that?

Okay, anyway, we have to account for government-speak. Since the measure of "violence" is so murky coming from this administration, I thoiught I would note an old conventional wisdom regarding budget cuts.

Statement: "I cut twenty percent from the department budget."

Meaning: "I cut twenty percent from the expected increase in the department's budget."

In effect: If the department budget was a billion dollars last year, and the projected budget is $1.1b, that twenty percent cut represented a $20m cut from the increase, so that a $1b budget reduced by 20% has actually grown to $1.08b.

I don't know if they can actually get away with this argument these days. It was a popular argument back before Clinton. I would think people might catch on ....