Iran

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sandy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sandy Banned Banned

Iran may mandate the death penalty for citizens who leave Islam.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A proposed penal code demands the death penalty for “apostates,” according to a statement by the Institute on Religion and Public Policy (IRPP). “Apostasy was always illegal, but the court could hand down a jail term, hard labor or the death penalty,” said IRPP President Joseph Grieboski. “Now apostasy [would only] get the death penalty.”

Iran has used the “apostasy” law to target Muslim converts to Christianity, liberal thinkers and members of Iran’s Baha’i religious minority. “This is not something new, they just want to be more harsh towards those who are leaving Islam." Though sections of the draft appear to indicate that both men and women can be executed for apostasy, others limit execution to males who leave Islam. The proposed law stipulates that “hardship” will be exercised on a female “apostate,” who will be immediately released if she recants.

http://compassdirect.org/en/display...ength=short&idelement=5231&backpage=summaries

I thought Islam was the Religion of Peace?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It is, however Iranian leaders are extremist fundamentalists. Doesn't surprise me.

Sandy, have you heard of Plymouth? A Christian town that used to execute non Christians, blasphemists, etc

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

I'm not talking about Plymouth. I'm talking about Iran and their "once a muslim always a muslim enforcement campaign".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I know, and I'm talking about how this does not reflect on all Muslim society. In Syria, there is freedom of religion.

8. sandy Banned Banned

But this is now, 2008. How can *ANY* gov think they can enforce this? Is Iminajihad that crazy?

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes. So what does it matter that this is 2008?

10. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

The mullahs are getting worried they are unwittingly hastening the demise of thier own faith.

from here

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The Dark Ages were some time ago. However, it would appear Muslim states haven't reset their clocks yet.

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

13. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's about 1428 or 1429 according to the Islamic calendar.

The advance of years isn't what's made us more civil and tolaerant though, it's that the West had the Age of Reason and the Enlightenment (pushed by liberals) to take the harsh edges off our sectarian "burn heretics alive" religious attitudes of the Renaissance and earlier ages. And even with those we still had the Holocaust to make us question the depth of our adherence to the values of modernity, like tolerance, not to mention racial tension in the U.S. (that often flared into terrorist activity not so many years ago).

We also have a remarkably unitary culture from one end of the western world to the other so that political and cultural influences don't vary as much as they might. Not that those things are entirely uniform, but we do have remarkable broad areas of agreement from an historical perspective.

It's not like we've biologically evolved into more moral beings, it's that western culture has evolved. In areas less influenced by western culture, it makes sense that you'd see remnants what what might be considered "pre-modern" (measured by our own standards) attitudes. Iran is in many ways a very modern nation, but at present they have a political leadership that rejects wesetrn values and embraces a pre-modern standard.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No, it would appear that they have a different culture and belief

Also, you said "Muslim states" not SOME Muslim states

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

how can any gov still go to war on a whim ?

But yes, it's not right to enforce religion. It's a personal choice. I think they feel it may damage cohesiveness. But wait. Iran MAY..There's still hope.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Well that's hardly surprising - tell young people that they can't do something and that's the first thing they will do.

Also, I know Iranians that feel it is Islam that is holding back their country - not that Christianity is a step forward but they think it hasn't been a bad thing for the Europeans so maybe it's fine for them. Islam is based on an Arab Prophet - hardly enduring to some Persians.

The Mithraian roots of Christianity are Persian.

BUT, the truth is, had the Baha'i played their cards right, the country would be Baha'i now. Unfortunately they were a little too interested in equality for the people - just not something you tell Islamic religious elite. My opinion is that if Iran ever has freedom of Religion Baha'i will make HUGE inroads. It's by far the best of the three from what I have seen and it's an indigenous beleif.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  17. sandy Banned Banned

We didn't go on a whim. Do your homework. The decision to go after Saddam was well-planned, well-thought out, and well-carried out. We had plenty of reasons, evidence, and support. Once the demonic muslim terrorists started their rampage, supporters started chickening out and wanted us to cut and run. We won't. Unless a liberal is elected POTUS.

18. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I didnt think this thread was about the Iraq war.....strange how it always seems to come to that.

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Do your homework. According to Thomas E Ricks, an acclaimed journalist, Pentagon planners did not take into account the proper troop force needed. They were consistently interrupted and micromanaged from the begining by SecDef Rumsfield. They were overworked and had lots of turnovers,resulting in meaningless changes and drafts.
    Sandy, if Iraq was so well thought out and so well planned, why are we still there ?.

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Lets not forget Greece and Rome - the Renaissance started in Italy I look at it like a return to the norm.

A minor ice-age and the Plague also played a hand in the REbirth...

21. sandy Banned Banned

Because demonic muslim terrorists are raising hell daily. They don't want democracy. They want control.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Unlike those who invade their countries and occupy them?

23. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

to stop the demons. the ME needs its WWII. the US bombed germany back to the stone age, and that what it took to stop the german will for war again.

it worked so good, that the europeans of today are really pussies.