Intrinsic Value

That's not what I'm saying, though.

I would say that from a human perspective, the intrinsic value of phenomena is indeterminate, not that it doesn't exist.

pardon my phrasing. how about "cannot be said to exist"?

how can "i am" be an assumption?

One:
In the 24 hours that there are in a day, the 7 days that there are in a week, the 365 days that there are in a year - do you ever simply are, do you ever just exist, and nothing more?

Or is that in the 24 hours that there are in a day, the 7 days that there are in a week, the 365 days that there are in a year, you either eat, drink, work, read, write, type, think, daydream, concentrate, zone out, sit, walk, lay down, sleep, shower, shit, comb your hair, clip your nails, put on socks, talk to people, talk to yourself, and so on and so on?

Is there anything about this "you" that just is, just exists - or does it always do something (or has something done to it)?

Two:
Define "I" and define "exist".

pardon my phrasing. how about "cannot be said to exist"?

This is roundabout the same as saying "it doesn't exist", is it not?

Or are you aiming at that which would between "indeterminate" and "non-existant"?

There is also the term "inapplicable" or "it doesn't apply".

relatively, yes
actually most standards of happiness in the material world work like that - what is it that money can buy if not the (attempted) vantage point of being free from suffering?

Well, there you have it.. it's subjective..

This is roundabout the same as saying "it doesn't exist", is it not?

Or are you aiming at that which would between "indeterminate" and "non-existant"?

There is also the term "inapplicable" or "it doesn't apply".

Indeterminate is close enough. "cannot be said to exist" I believe satisfies the same conditions as indeterminate.

I'd say it would seem not to exist and in the model of existence I generally employ I don't think it could, but then again who the hell knows, which is why I think your statement is more prudent.

Last edited:
Okay this is starting to drive me insane.

You say that it exists, and then that it does not exist. You say is subjective, then say there is no such thing as subjective by saying that "objectively seen value doesn't exist". First, there is nothing to do the seeing objectively (which in my opinion invalidates it as a possible model) and second, you completely contradict your assertion that it exists subjectively by saying that objectively it doesn't. If something exists subjectively, that it does so would therefore be and objective reality. It's content, what it means to the invidual exists within their mind, so it does exist. That is not to say that what they are thinking about is an accurate represenation of anything objective whatsoever.
1. Objective reality exists, this is how things really are. And may be only knowable in part or not not at all.
2. Subjective reality exists, this is the reality as we perceive it. Subjective reality is a representation of objective reality by our minds and impaired by our senses. The brain for instance fills in things, that it thinks are missing, from experience.
3. Objectively speaking, subjective reality exists just as well as objective reality.
4. Example:
Objective reality: Light with a wavelength of 700 nm hits cells in your retina. (not perfect but to describe objective reality one will have to describe every minute process step by step. This is nearly impossible, especially without the proper knowledge. I guess you get the idea though :))
Subjective reality: You see a red light.

Meaning exists or you wouldn't understand these words. It is part of reality, though only experienced and known of subjectively. This of course hinges closely on the assumption of selfhood. Do you reject the assumption "I am."?

If so, then we can kindly drop the subject, as we aren't really speaking.
1. Written language exists but in objective reality they are locations with a high density of certain molecules that are configured in some particular way.
2. In subjective reality words are writing or printing, that symbolizes and communicates a meaning and may consist of a single morpheme or of a combination of morphemes.

But anyway, since I know I exist (logically, through assuming it so) I know meaning exists, as it the very process of recording this thought requires it. Therefore, objectively meaning exists - although it seems that it only does so subjectively. Therefore, nihilism is nullified (at least to me). If those therefores don't work I call on the the whole thing where there's nothing concievable to exist that can "do the seeing", as "seeing" is necessarily subjective. "as seen objectively" just doesn't work, and I reject the hypothesis on that basis.
Meaning exists but only subjectively, meaning has no place in objective reality. Objectively the subjective concept of meaning exists.

"as seen objectively" just doesn't work
Once again, I am bound by language. But I guess you know what I trying to say..

I hope this post clears things up a bit ? :)

Last edited:
Speaking of "personal" vs. "impersonal" would cause less trouble and be more applicable than "subjective" vs. "objective".

That's not what I'm saying, though.

I would say that from a human perspective, the intrinsic value of phenomena is indeterminate, not that it doesn't exist.

From a human perspective ? Who can determine intrinsic value then ? If no one can, it does not exist.

From a human perspective ? Who can determine intrinsic value then ? If no one can, it does not exist.

No.

If no one can determine it, it could exist in a manner that we simply can't determine, or could be determined in the future or something. Even saying "it does not currently exist" is misleading, as we don't know yes or no and apparently, currently can't - therefore "indeterminate", as greenburg pointed out... is the appropriate status

No.

If no one can determine it, it could exist in a manner that we simply can't determine, or could be determined in the future or something. Even saying "it does not currently exist" is misleading, as we don't know yes or no and apparently, currently can't - therefore "indeterminate", as greenburg pointed out... is the appropriate status

If no one can determine the intrinsic value of a 'thing', there is no one that the 'thing' has intrinsic value to. So the intrinsic value of the 'thing' is then non-existent.

If no one can determine the intrinsic value of a 'thing', there is no one that the 'thing' has intrinsic value to. So the intrinsic value of the 'thing' is then non-existent.

That is assuming that the model "without someone to value it, there is no value" is objectively true, which IMO - we can't say positively. Within the scope of our perspectives, we can perhaps agree that this seems to be the case. However, since we cannot escape our perspectives to validate this conclusion - "indeterminate" still seems more appriate to me. But by all means if you wish to state whatever, more power to you. :p

IMO, it's is important to recognize possibilities beyond our perspective - which is basically what warrants "indeterminate" rather than "doesn't exist". I think that would be the scientific way to look at it as well. *shrug*

Value of a 'thing' only exists from the moment someone attributes value to the 'thing'. The value attributed to the 'thing' can change or become nullified over time. Also different someones can attributed different value to the same 'thing'.

The values attributed are thus completely subjective ALL of the time. This is why intrinsic value does not exist.

That is assuming that the model "without someone to value it, there is no value" is objectively true, which IMO - we can't say positively. Within the scope of our perspectives, we can perhaps agree that this seems to be the case. However, since we cannot escape our perspectives to validate this conclusion - "indeterminate" still seems more appriate to me. But by all means if you wish to state whatever, more power to you. :p

IMO, it's is important to recognize possibilities beyond our perspective - which is basically what warrants "indeterminate" rather than "doesn't exist".

lol well I kind of forced my self to that reasoning. It is of course flawed because in it intrinsic value is made into extrinsic (<-is that right?) value.

Ok :)

Meanwhile.. I have come to the conclusion that objective reality cannot be described.
One needs subjective reality to do so, and then it is no longer objective reality you are 'painting'... :bawl:

I'm going insane...lol

1. Objective reality exists, this is how things really are. And may be only knowable in part or not not at all.

Before bothering with the rest, I want to understand your reasoning more clearly by asking this: How do you know?

Is this a definition you're offering?

I'd agree that objectively reality exists, but not necessarily that "it's how things really are", because the only means through which we can relate to the idea that it's there is through our perception. Thus we cannot know for certain that what we think of as objective reality is "how things really are". Bah I'm hopeless. Lol.

Back