Intolerance? Washington state legislators walk out on Muslim prayer

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tiassa, Mar 5, 2003.

?

How inappropriate was the walkout?

1. They have the right. End of story.

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Disrespectful, to say the least.

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Inappropriate? Hey, a Muslim cleric praying in a state capitol is inappropriate!

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Further evidence that religion has no place in government.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Other (____)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Re: Bridge ... Persol

Actually, the early christians & even Jesus wouldn't know the 'Jesus' of Mohammud. No one likes to be told by others, that what they really believe, is not the real religion of what they believe, but a false one corrupted by evil men. Muslims say that Jesus was a muslim, & taught islam & prayed to allah! Try making christains believe that! It would be like christians telling you that "real Wiccans" are devil-worshippers, while you may be a forest frolicker!

:m: :m: :m: :m:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. immane1 Registered Senior Member

Randolfo,
    FANTASTIC post.

Speaking of offensive actions carried out by elected officials. Cigar anyone?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Randolfo

As the article noted--attendance is generally spotty for the daily prayer. I would abstain from all prayer sessions. As I have noted, I think this voluntary prayer session is a concern toward church/state considerations, and this episode a perfect example of why. Other than that, I find it quite disrespectful to hold these sessions and then walk out simply because it's not your team praying.
    They're both examples of why government and religion should remain separate.
    Depends on the Wiccan, I suppose. We'll see what comes about, in the end. But, as noted in the correction of that specific point, it was a Republican senator who expected the faith-based initiative to discriminate against certain religions.

Nonetheless, of course religious organizations have the right to discriminate. That's part of the point of being in the religion.
    It's a poor excuse nonetheless, but it's neutral. It's a far cry from rhetorically alienating part of the American population from being American.
    Typical ethnocentric horsepucky. It has nothing to do with the fact that, as the story plays out in the news, Imam Joban gets the good sound bite.
    Do you pray for the sinners? The infidels? Do you pray that God will give them guidance?

Which is it? Hypocrisy or a lack of compassion?
    Not quite, but it was a nice try at an analogy. See, Islam is a continuation of Abramism, and is thus related to Christianity through that vein, whether or not you like it. Christians asserting devil worship of Wiccans have no philosophical link to what they slander.

- Muslims say that Jesus was a muslim, & taught islam & prayed to allah! Try making christains believe that!

What you're failing to understand is that it's Christians that have a problem with the idea that it's the same God. Islam is to Christianity what Christianity is to Judaism. (I never know what to think of the Latter-Day Saints, and we've got a local brouhaha that might actually crush the Book of Mormon.)
    Seems I missed one. Whoops. Sorry. Um ... yes, they can. Even if they're wrong. And if they're wrong, it reflects on their qualifications to their offices.

And again, there are perfectly acceptable reasons to not attend. To make a point of walking out and to make "patriotism" your reason is absolutely disrespectful. You'll notice nobody gives a rat's behind about the people who weren't there to begin with.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Re: Randolfo

Politics in the US is not about respect! Dems & Reps all want to make their points for the folks back home, they'll walk out on the pope if it served their purpose, can you find any pols with principle? Name one? You'd be hard pressed.

What? Dems & Reps do that all the time, just tell RRRepublicans that you're a dyed-in-the-wool liberal, why that’s more satanic to them than wicca!!

Sound bite? Oh please, many muslim leaders will use democracy & freedom of speech in the West, the same way nazis used it in Weimar Germany, to get in power, then watch out!! Check out the Jamaican imam jailed in England. Sound bite, I think of it as more a warning.

What you're failing to understand is that islam is to Christianity, what mormonism is to Christianity, it's a starting point for a tangent into falsehood. Read the Quran & the Bible, find passages attributed to or about Jesus & see if they are the same Jesus? Nope, islam has a poor imitation.

What, you crush the LDS? You’ll be the first!

Qualifications?? You make me laugh!!! If Reagan, Jesse Ventura, & Baby Bush can get elected, anyone can! Just takes the right connections, money &/or exposure.

That was their sound bite, why do you think they did it? They’ll run with next election cycle, see if I’m right, keep us informed.

8. biblthmp Registered Senior Member

Washington state legislators walk out on Muslim prayer

Finally,
    Some legislators with some gonads. This is a Christian country, as declared by the Supreme Court, in a decision in 1895, after a review of the founding documents, and their doundational documents.

That Cleric had no business being invited.

Freedom of religion was meant to you, you could be any Christian denomination you wanted. you see how liberalism destroys everything it touches.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Randolfo

This is beside the point, or else nobody would have cared about Trent Lott.
    As strange as it is, religions are not held as "choices" before the law. That is, the principle goes that we do not discriminate against ethnicity or gender because these are conditions of birth, and not something someone can change. This is why many people deride efforts to protect the civil rights of homosexuals specifically. As homosexuality is a "choice", it should not be "protected". Yet religion is specifically protected. After all--Christians have "free will", do they not? They make the "choice" to accept God's offer through Jesus Christ eternal?
    That warning being? And whence you derived it?
    Exactly. Just as I noted: Islam is to Christianity what Christianity is to Judaism.
    Let me be the first to ask you:

What?!

Well ... since they're "unqualified" for their offices° why should we continue to endorse their presence? Why ignore an act demonstrating the unfitness of a legislator to serve her elected office? Because it's more fun to bash on Muslims?
    I think she did it because she's a wickedly narrow-minded fool. She explained why she did it. Rep. Condotta was more vague. I think his reasons are probably similar, but at least he was smart enough to give a hokey nothing explanation. Two points to him for that. Either one of them could have just skipped the prayer session altogether, and not made the point of leaving. It would have saved them a lot of energy.

:m:,
    Tiassa

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Thumper

Do you know where we can get this decision? And a trial transcript would be phenomenal.

Political bodies have repeatedly tried to establish the US as a Christian nation: "In God We Trust" was applied as a motto to establish the US as a Christian nation against godless Communism; Poppy Bush and Congress officially recognized the Noahide Laws.

But if you check the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution, you'll find nothing there about Christianity.
    Then perhaps in the future those legislators who insist on publicly endorsing their religion (Matthew 6.5) should entrust the selection of clergy to a ministry council that excludes non-Christians. Perhaps some official state-sanctioned discrimination, instead of the mere poor taste of demonstratively walking out for "patriotic" reasons?

Exempt all non-Christians from the tax code and establish them as a body not governed by common authority with in the United States. Then we'll talk about a Christian nation.

That's tough talk for an upstart Jewish usurper.

Do you wonder why religion and government are not supposed to mingle?

Here's one for you: what establishes a Christian denomination? Are Mormons Christian? How about Quakers? Catholics? Southern Baptist Convention? Missouri Synod? Kingdom Hall? There's an all-is-love Christian around these boards whose views are very unorthodox. Would TruthSeeker be protected by Freedom of Christian Religion?
    No, but I see how bigotry destroys an intellect.

Tiassa