Interplanetary travel!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by darksidZz, Mar 6, 2007.

?

I say...

Poll closed Mar 26, 2007.
  1. It's impossible! We'll never have the ability to!

8.7%
  2. It's not impossible! We'll have it eventually!

91.3%
  1. jumpercable 6EQUJ5 'WOW' Registered Senior Member

In other words, forget about it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity Banned Banned

This is debatable, How many circles per seconds is needed to create 1 G ?

Here the radius is irrelevant. So if for Jupiter it takes 1 second for light to complete 1 revolution around it, then we can safely do it without having much of G.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Singularity Banned Banned

I am amazed that humans here have got the idea behind this simple technology. Or I always have to boar the burden of letting them go into bewilderedness.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

The radius is very relevant. Centripetal acceleration is proportional to the radius for constant circles per second.
    So, one circle per second gives 1G at a radius of about 25cm, but one circle per second at 100,000km (Saturn's Rings) gives about 400 million G.

That would be a radius of about 50,000km. Only 200 million G!

8. Singularity Banned Banned

Well , Thanks Pete, though i still seriously doubt this. Since the rate of change of direction is reduced as the radius increases for the same rate of revolutions per second.

But if its so then those aliens get an upper hand, ie. they can use BlackHoles (if they exist) to nullify the effects of the Centrifuge. ie. Array of step down magnetic accelerators can be developed where as the speed increases we get closer and closer to the blackhole and stay in free fall to counter the effect of resulting Gs.

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Don't take my word for it - it's easy to test yourself.
    Hold a weight in each hand.
    With your hand close to your chest, turn around a few times. Time your turns, and note how heavy the weights feel.
    Now, hold your arms out to the side and turn around a few times again. Make sure you turn at the same rate as before.
    You will notice that you need to apply a greater force to the weights than before.

10. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

It's pretty straight forward. For circular motion centripetal acceleration can be found by:
    a= v²/r

Thus for .9999c and a radius of 50,000 km you get

a= 299970000²/50,000,000 = 1,799,640,018m/s² = 183,636,736.5g

While you can reduce the g's by increasing the radius, to drop it to even 10g (which is still more than a human can stand for prolonged periods.) you would need to increase the radius to 9.18e11 km which is just about 155 times the radius of Pluto's orbit.
    And gain absolutely nothing in the process. Using the black hole's gravity to provide the centripetal force is essentially putting you into an orbit around the black hole. Just to escape the black hole, you have to be going 41.4% faster than that speed, and you will lose most of the speed just climbing out of the blackhole's gravity well. The same gravity that nullifies the effects of the centrifuge nullifies your speed as you leave the blackhole leaving you almost none to travel between stars.

Add to this the fact that the distance you would need to be from the center of the blackhole to "nullify" the effects of the centrifuge at 99.99% of c would be inside the event horizon of the black hole.

11. Singularity Banned Banned

Janus58,

Still the aliens win, as they have already invented the gravity shields, once they reach 99.99 C around the BH, all they have to do is turn on their Gravity Shield and they will be zooming away from the BH at near light speeds.

Gravity Shield

12. Singularity Banned Banned

Does this mean that at the same speed with greater radius the G/Centrifugal Force will be more ?

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It means that at the same angular speed (turns per second), greater radius means greater centrifugal force.

At the same linear speed (distance per second), greater radius means smaller centrifugal force.

14. Singularity Banned Banned

So dont u think that at light speed around the sun a revolution taking 50 minutes to complete, the angular change will be very little ?

If not, then i wonder, what causes this increase of Centrifugal Force ?

15. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

The angular speed in that case is one revolution per fifty minutes, or 0.002 rad/sec.

The radius would be 142 million km, and the centrifugal force would be about 57000 G.

16. Singularity Banned Banned

But dont u think the angular change will be very little ?

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I don't know what you mean.

18. pinkiss Registered Senior Member

I went a bit offtopic with my post but lets say if there would be enough gravity around saturn to reach speed of 99% c . Then if someone would manage to make spaceship design something like (gyro ball) wich would make those inside to reach acceleration slowly this would decrease preassure then.Anyway still dont think this would be near enough to survive such acceleration

19. orcot Valued Senior Member

it's inpossible to stay in orbit long before you even reach 1%c

20. Singularity Banned Banned

I am asking whats creating so much G. I always thought that it the rate of change of angle that creates the G. With 50 minutes to complete a revolution around the sun, its roughly 7.2 degrees per minute. So how can there be 57000 Gs ?

21. Singularity Banned Banned

Hey chill, i was saying that about orbiting around a Blackhole.

22. draqon Banned Banned

this is a joke, right? some on this forum say that there are no blackholes...just really dark stars. And you here suggest that we orbit a blackhole when we have no info on a blackhole to even conceive this. And theoretically...whats going to keeP you away from being Pulled into blackhole?

23. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Even if such technology worked as claimed, and it could be made to be to block 100% of gravity (and not just 2%), and was energy efficient enough to be practical, You still have the problem of tidal forces.
    Before you can kick your shield on, you have to amost skim the event horizon before you could even reach 70% of c(let alone 99.99%) to maintain your centripetal force/gravity balancing act .

A typical stellar blackhole has a mass of around 10 solar masses and a event horizon radius of 30 km. At that distance, the tidal force differential over just 1 meter is over 16 million g's. Before you even get close to turning on the gravity shield you will be torn to shreds.