Interception of galaxy axis - Planets turn around? Sun errupts?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Smellsniffsniff, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Roghly speaking, yes, give or take perturbations. The actual figure is more like 2.7 I believe once you take various pertubative effects into acount (for example, the fact that mass is clumpy in the milkyway, it's conentrated into a plane and then further into arms.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

OK I did some quick research to verify what I thought I already understood. Here's what I found out:

Cosmic year = approx. 225 million years.
    The sun passes the galactic plane every 35 to 40 million years.
    So, the sun passes the galactic plane about 6.5 times per trip around the galaxy. Is this math correct?

My numbers to not match your numbers. And 6.5 galactic plane crosses per cosmic year describes a much different path, and suggests much different gravitational forces acting upon our sun.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yes, the sun takes 225 million years to complete one orbit around the Galactic nucleus, but it turns out that the orbit is not quite as flat as I thought it would be, and has something like 3 maxima. It seems I may have misunderstood the meaning of 2.7, meaning that the sun reaches its maximum distance from the galactic plane 2.7 times every orbit, which would mean 5.4 plane crossings per orbit, which gives us 40-odd million years.

All this really means is that rather than the suns orbit laying on a nice plane, the plane is slightly warped, which isn't inconceivable when you bare in mind that the sun effectively orbits an extended mass, rather than a point source.

So in that regard, my initial explanation still holds.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

So, the sun passes the galactic plane about 6.5 times in one orbit(according to my now triple-checked calculation), about every 37 million years or so.

This wave motion is significant(as opposed to a purely elliptical orbit) because it shows the presence of a very strong gravity pulling inwards towards the galactic plane.

I believe that the cumulative gravitational effect of the rest of the stars, dust, and galactic matter of the disc can not account for this steady motion(hence the need for dark matter). In fact, I don't think that there even is a cumulative effect, and I don't think that the locomotive analogy applies to this situation. Also, what of the galaxy rotation problem? http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Galaxy_rotation_problem/

It makes a lot more sense that this inward attraction towards the galactic plane is actually being done by a much more significant, dependable force. As I said before, I believe that the extreme gravity of the galactic center is not only pulling everything towards the galactic center, but also towards the galactic plane. I think that this center gravity is, in a way of speaking, being funneled through the 2-D galactic plane(sort of like the inverse of a plugged-up garden hose with tiny holes all along the top and bottom of it's tubing being swung around in a circle with the water turned on). I think this theory makes a lot more sense than dark matter.

This theory is also significant because it presents a danger zone, the galactic plane, where the main source of pulling gravity is suddenly reversed as any object passes through it. This would obviously create devastating effects for any ecosystems living on the crust of any passing planet.

Another significant fact: it's been officially known that we've actually very recently passed(in galactic terms) the galactic plane. Yet, there is an obvious margin of error in making this calculation, especially if dark matter doesn't even exist. In any event, the location of the galactic plane is a matter of debate. So, we could very well be headed towards the galactic plane right now.

As a matter of pure layman speculation(same as above I suppose), I imagine that earth would not feel the gravitational effect of the galactic plane gravity(GPG) until the GPG starts to overcome the effect of our own sun. And since the sun moves at 225 km per second, we would run up on the galactic plane very quickly. So the duration of changed gravity effects on earth's surface may only last a short amount of time. Although the indirect effects of this gravity change would be more long lasting, and more devastating.

Could this be a warning? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wYyqef_33I
    Notice the dinosaur at the beginning of the video...

8. Neverfly Banned Banned

What of it? You dismiss the idea that Dark Matter is responsible and then raise the issue as if it is a new issue.
    Ok, here's what of the Galaxy Rotation Problem: Dark Matter.
    Now what are ya gonna do?

What would this force be that we have not observed?

Maybe you can come up with a working theory about something and name it, like, Dark matter or something.

All by itself or as a cumulative effect? With Dark Matter? Without? With something other than Dark Matter which you describe to sound a lot like Dark Matter?
    Could you describe that again? I'm trying to picture the holy bunged up garden hose here but my imagination fails me.
    That isn't a knock toward you, I'm being serious. I don't get it.

Reversed? Say what?
    You mean an acceleration in the opposite direction?

How far away is this "gravity well" again?

We'll reach it in 2012 for sure.

What? GPG?
    You mean if the Sun up and barreled right into the "GPG" or something?
    Or if our Sun suddenly evaporated?
    Or if this "GPG" thing suddenly increases its gravitational pull somehow?
    What effects? What GPG effects? What is this force? What causes it? How does it overwhelm the loval gravity?

My psychiatrist forbids me from watching YouTube videos.

9. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

I've already answered all these questions in my last post. I honestly don't know what else I can tell you.

Well I think that the reason earth is orbiting the sun, instead of being pulled directly towards the galactic plane independently is because our sun's gravity supersedes that of the galactic plane. At least for now it does.

As our planet approaches the galactic plane, I imagine that earthlings on the facing side might be temporarily lifted towards the sky as we approach the galactic plane, and the gravitational effect of the galactic plane supersedes the gravity of the earth.

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You're misrepresenting the article, it's between 5.4 and 6.5

No, it doesn't.

The galactic roatation problem is a different kettle of fish, this has nothing to do with it.

Things orbiting in what amount to warped disks are not uncommon.

This is built on a false premise, that there's something that needs to be explained.
    The point your missing is that you're entire idea is based on a model that modeled gravitational interactions alone.

No.

No.

No.

Probably not, no.

11. Neverfly Banned Banned

No, you didn't. If you had, I wouldn't be asking.

For now, it does? Is the Sun going away?

HUH?

ohh ohhh! I wanna be on the facing side!!

matthew809, look up Inverse square and gravity and the distances between objects in space.

Also... Just a minor thought... But if there was enough force to pluck human beans off the planets surface (And I assume cars, dinosaurs, crocodiles... uhh massive bodies of water... and what have you else), what, exactly, would this do to the EARTH?!
    Remember, the Earth is not a solid orb like a billiard ball. More like a blob or tomato. Squishy.

12. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Neverfly, I enjoy your wit - from one bean to another. By the way, welcome to Sciforums.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  13. Neverfly Banned Banned

Remembering birthdays and particular holidays they celebrate is a good way. Also, you might extend yourself further showing appreciation for the little things that they do.
    Adding insightful suggestions but never, ever arguing for at least 6 more months might be a very wise idea as well.
    Do it right- and I'm sure the other exasperated posters here might eventually forgive you for egging me on.

14. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

It's apparent by your pattern of irreverent and irrelevant questioning that you are not grasping the idea that I am trying to convey. If you did get it, you'd be asking better questions.

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It's apparent by your pattern of irreverent and irrelevant answers that you're not grasping the ideas that Neverfly is trying to query. If you did get it, you'd be giving better answers.

16. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Agreed with Trippy on this most recent post of his.

17. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

Very clever responses.

Let me back up a little and clearly present my intentions. I am only suggesting a possible explanation of our galaxy's physics. I do not believe that I am correct, but I do believe that I may be correct. I want to be disproved, obviously. I'm still waiting...

So let's back up again to the fundamental idea of my theory of which it all depends, and forget about the distracting(yet witty) tangents. Please read slowly and carefully:

The up and down oscillation of our sun is being caused solely by the gravitational pull of the galactic core (my theory), as opposed to being caused by the gravity of the rest of the galactic disc matter and dark matter(popular theory). If anyone disagrees with this idea, please state why clearly and specifically. Please do not cite random anecdotes that don't specifically contradict my reasoning.

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Lemme get this straight - you're proposing that the galactic G-field is spherically symetrical, and that arms and disks produce zero gravity?

19. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

No, not at all.

I believe that, in addition to the normal spherical(more or less) gravity field of the galaxy's core, there is a flattened 2-D gravity field which extends the length of the galaxy. This 2-D gravity field is sourced from the galactic center, yet instead of pulling matter towards the core, this gravity field pulls matter towards the galactic plane.

This idea is counter-intuitive because the gravity that we are used to dealing with comes from an obvious source of condensed mass in the direction of pull. The galactic plane gravity is different because there is no source mass in the direction of pull.

The rest of the matter in the galaxy's disc does still have gravitational influence on our sun I suppose, but no more influence than venus might have on earth, because the gravity influence of the sun trumps venus's.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

The problem is that the fact remains that how would this affect the earth in any possible way?

Mathew, if you were to step across the equator from north to south would you....explode? would you bodies chemistry screw up? Would planes be ripped apart because of reverse gravitational pulls?

If you are sane you answered no.

The exact same concept goes for the galactic equator. The fact is that it would not cause any changes.

the problem with the 2012 thinkers is that they believe just because something rare happens that it has to have some alterior meaning. Somethings dont have meaning Mathew.

The fact is that we pass through the galactic plane fairly regularly, not once have we ever encountered a problem.

It stands to intelligent reason that anything that could happen that would disasterously affect our planet or solar system even temporarily would leave a mark.

Besides the fact it also stands to reason that we have seen other solar syetems pass the galactic plane, nothing bad happens. End of story.

P.S. the super massive black hole in the center of our galaxy has more than enough gravitational force to keep the galaxy together, please don't imply otherwise.

21. Neverfly Banned Banned

Wrong answer.

If you wanted to Understand the physics, you would Learn and Ask questions.

Not ask to be disproved of wild ideas.

I'm not buying it. You don't want to be "disproved."

22. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Thread moved to pseudoscience.

23. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Undoubtedly secret agreements are made between people and groups but this conspiracy in the science community is nonsense. We're not as friendly and in agreement as such a conspiracy would require. People leave and join academia all the time and yet no one ever 'outs' the supposed conspiracy.

There's being skeptical and then there's delusional paranoia.

Define 'huge' in terms of academics who work in the relevant areas. If someone working in chemistry says "I don't believe in dark matter" their opinion is irrelevant. The vast majority of people working in relevant areas believe in dark matter but alternatives are always being proposed. There's no surpression or silencing. If an idea stands on evidence it'll be listened to.

Yeah, there's a real surpression and that's why no one ever hears of anyone disagreeing with the official line on 9/11.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And the existence (or not) of a conspiracy to do with 9/11 has no relation to your claims conspiracy in physics. I don't deny there are conspiracies somewhere in the world but I deny they are endemic and huge as you obviously believe them to be. Paranoia is not a way of life I'm attracted to thanks.

So you don't trust mainstream models which do actually match experiments and observations and instead you prefer your idea of a model which is at odds with experiment, has no formal basis and which you made up and you don't know anything about any relevant maths or physics?!

Thats the problem with hacks. They say "Don't take the mainstream at face value" then turn around and say "I'm right, trust me!". Apply a little of that skepticism to your own work.

Why do you presume to know what cosmologists do or don't know when you've obviously made no effort to find out about it? And just because there's plenty of things we don't yet know doesn't mean we should just throw out all we do know because you don't like the sound of it.

Wow, so you've not own chucked all of cosmology and astronomy in the bin because you don't lkike it but also the areas of archeology and palientology, along with geology. You use the 'in my opinion' ending. Well your 'opinion' has no basis of fact as you have no knowledge of any evidence. How can you dismiss the fossil record as 'unclear' unless you've spent considerable time examining it? Because that's the only way your 'opinion' is worth a damn. If thousands of people each spend decades of their lives doing experiments, observations and then challenging one anothers ideas and explainations for those observations then their group view will be worth listening to. Not automatically correct but certainly streets ahead of some paranoid hack online who dismisses all their work without even hearing it because its 'unclear'. Yes, I imagine anything looks 'unclear' if you have your eyes shut.

You talk about how people are in conspiracies and surpressing truth but you make it so obvious that despite having information at your fingertips you don't access it. What use is freedom of information when you don't bother to use the information?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!