Inflation and curvature

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by prometheus, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Users can be banned by user name OR by IP address.

Guest a troll?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not in my book.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Define troll. The first post that contains physics rather than insults is 4 pages back in his post history. At 25 posts per page that would be a 1% legitimate contribution rate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Lol, I meant if a person has a sock, can they delete it themselves? Not me, I mean if someone else had one.
    OK, to me your word is gospel. So Guest is not a sock and not a troll. How about obnoxious?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah. No, but you can simply stop using it. And scramble the password.

Obnoxious?
    I think I addressed that with my "smart" comment.

8. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

OK, I'll take that to mean you left off a word so I'll move on.

Clearly I was right about the "gravitational potential" question or else one of the smart

guys would have been all over it.

9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

It usually pays to check though, before patting yourself on the back.

Gravitational potential is higher for a clock which is farther from the surface of a planet, and the clock runs faster than an equivalent clock on the surface--gravity slows clocks down. If the clock is in free fall (not experiencing a force of gravity) what's the potential? Does an observer on the surface see a clock in free fall as running at "maximum" rate?

10. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Thank you. Then that explains why no one corrected farsight on it and that I misunderstood the meaning of gravitational potential. I responded as if higher gravitational potential equated to a stronger gravitational field. Sorry for questioning you Farsight (not that he took offense).

11. Emil Valued Senior Member

Put your watch in a centrifuged, see what happens.
    It will go faster or slower?

12. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

The confusion probably lies in the fact that gravitational potential is considered zero at an infinite distance from a massive body and negative at a finite distance. In other words, your gut instinct is correct that a higher potential means a slower clock, although "higher potential" in this case means a lower negative number. I personally wouldn't initially consider -10 to be "greater" than -100, for example, but it technically is, so we must be clear if we are talking about the strength of the field or the value of the measurement.

13. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Er, in case you didn't get the point, when Guest identifies Magneto as a fraud for you, he's doing you a service. As a layman, you might like to be forewarned that Magneto isn't exactly knowledgeable about the stuff he posts here.

Click the hyperlink at the top right.

By the way, Guest's third example was a beautifully succinct reply that simultaneously answered your OP and indicated you were asking the wrong question. It really should have ended the thread then and there. Yet somehow it took several posters about four pages of thread to explain the simple point he was making.

What? Why in the world would Guest need multiple accounts? The main use of a sock puppet would be to get multiple "votes" on an issue, eg. by posting something then agreeing with it under a different account to give the impression you were more popular than you really were. If Guest were a sock, you'd have to conclude he was one of the people he has lended support to in this thread. That would make Guest either my sock or AlphaNumeric's.

So what's your story? I'm afraid I can't handle Farsight and secretly envy him, despite the fact I can show explicitly where he is failing to address issues, being dishonest, contradicting himself, using logical fallacies, etc., so I log on as Guest and pretend someone else is on my side? Or is it AlphaNumeric who fears Magneto is getting the better of him?

No, but the people reviewing your papers do it anonymously.

Farsight and Magneto are not pretty girls.

14. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Your supporting Guest? Tells me something about you. I suppose because I am not a professional you just naturally assume I'd fall for a fraud. Great respect for human nature, right. I can take care of myself and I don't need Guest doing me any favors, if you really think that is what he was doing. Your the poor judge of personalities or you your standards are too low if you ask me. Thanks though for being a stand up guy when it comes to supporting an arrogant troll. Hope you don't take offense.

15. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

I you think this is succinct and answers my presumption, przyk, then please explain. I wasn't talking about a way of "labeling points" in the Universe, I was talking about a way of mapping the universe mathematically in a "continuous way", although I fail to see why the "continuous inverse" is a requirement when we're referring to Reality. It's frankly an issue that I mentally tabled until I can take the appropriate course on it.

Besides, trying to attribute merit to one of Guest's posts COMPLETELY misses the point that well over 90% of his posts are full of ridicule and insults with no real substance. You seem awfully DEFENSIVE here, przyk...is there a reason??

16. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

No, just that you'd be at higher risk. This isn't an attempt to belittle you. If you can spot that Magneto doesn't know what he's talking about for yourself, then more power to you. It doesn't make Magneto less of a fraud though.

17. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Thank you for that. I'm not saying that I would understand if he was a fraud or not by looking at his work. However, at no time did I indicate I was being taken in. I'm saying that it is one thing to alert others about a fraud, and it is another thing to be an arrogant troll after doing it.

If Guest was certain that he had done a good job at revealing the fraud by convincingly pointing out the erroneous work, that is fine. If someone understood Magneto's work and couldn't see the errors then Guest could take comfort in the fact that he had revealed them. But hounding ridicule, ad homs, and unprofessional attacks don't do the professionals any favors. Then to see those types of members supported as if they were conducting themselves appropriately is disappointing.

I'm sure you see it from a different perspective and I don't expect that anyone gives ponts for good conduct, lol.

18. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

You didn't say that in your OP. You said:
    That's the whole point. You originally said nothing about continuity. It took us 4+ pages to get you to understand that it wasn't enough just to ask that a coordinate system be bijective.

I don't see it that way.

You tell me.

19. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Again, well said!
    Are you saying that a substantive contribution rate of, say, 5% is enough to consider him an asset to this forum? Or are you rather saying that you believe that the vapid ad hominems making up the vast majority of his posts themselves count as substantive? Or maybe you're saying that you believe most of his posts include physics?? The first two are opinions, but this last one is easy to measure...

Also, regarding "who" Guest really is (you, AN, Dywyddyr...) I don't care to speculate because it doesn't matter. Being a sock doesn't necessarily mean that he must only be supportive of his main identity avatar. As I originally said
    Guest could be the repressed incarnation of some jerk trapped within a geek's body, unable to express himself in the real world because he'd get a proper beat down. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he doesn't have a "main" account other than this one but either way...what a waste. I find it interesting that he isn't really defending himself. Or IS HE, przyk? :xctd:

20. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I don't believe in starting rumors but suppose guest is a shared sock, available to a group of members who know the password and can pop in as the sock when deemed necessary ... naw, that would be a bit too conspiratorial wouldn't it.

BTW, Guest, if you are real, would you mind straightening up, lol.

21. Magneto_1 Super Principia Registered Senior Member

Only, because he/they keep trying to throw me under the bus.

I have a brand new high energy particle theory, that I just came up with after reading the post today.

The high energy particle theory is that, Guest254, Przyk, and Alphanumeric are "Quarks," and together they form one "Proton" unit; and if you were to try and measure them, and their location in space and tiime, you would never find them Alone! Because they just don't exist alone!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  22. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

I'm Spartacus!

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Better quark than quack...