INDIA's contributions to the world

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by HighlyFanatic, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Why the hate?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

my brother was raped by a curry:bawl:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure, but you have to remember, that before western nationalism, there was no notion of country, but Indians have always considered all people on the other side of the Indus as "our people" [desis]; probably because of the historical implications of the Mahabharata and Ramayana. Its how all foreign people from the Chinese who came to Nalanda to the Mughals have described us.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i am mainly going on the only period of history of india that i know anything about which is the 18-19th century so i could easily be wrong.seems like it was kind of a loose collective that was known as india but made up of independant states.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You should look up the Gupta and Maurya Empires. Asoka's Empire. The Delhi Sultanates.

The Persians and Arabs have written extensively about India [tamar hind or the Indian date is their name for tamarind]. The word Hindiya was used by them [and Sindus by the Persians] to designate Indians.

9. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

was that to designate them as a race rather than a country though?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It was based on the river Indus. Everyone on the other side of the Indus was a Hindi. Even today, Saudis and other Middle Eastern people call us as Hindis. "anti hindiya?" Did not matter that I was a Muslim. Hindiya to them is synonymous with Indian.

11. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

yeah,i get what you mean.im asking whether the other side of the indus was a nation or just a race of people.the difference between race and nationality is vast.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah, there was no concept of nationality then. They considered the Muslim Delhi Sultanate Kings as Hindiya for instance. More in terms of tribe, I believe.

13. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

k.,will have a look.india seems to me like something you can never get to the bottom of.
    lot of similarities between india and japan in terms of religion and rule as far as i can tell.also between japan and england.
    i always get over excited talking about it with students and end up with a vacant look.have had a couple of students (shinto priest and a couple of buddist monks) who were very interesting to talk to tho.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

India is in the unique position of having too many diverse peoples. Which is why its hard to define us in terms of colour race and tribe. Or even nationality and religion. Its just a way of thinking I guess. With the sea on three sides and mountains on the fourth, its easier to define us by geography.

Could you recommend a good book on Japan's history?

15. kmguru Staff Member

Smell of food is aquired. If you cook a goose egg or an egg from a free range chicken, I am sure your son will throw up. Same for hot and sour soup in China. How about sea slugs - which is a gourmet cuisine there....may be monekey brains or anchovies.......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

umm.it depends on if you want the rosy view or the cynical view...
    an actually good book about japans recent political history and power structure is "the enigma of japanese power" by karel van wolferen,as far as i can tell it presents a fairly unbiased view of the way japanese society works.lots of people absolutely hate it though,it is incredibly negative....however i think if you were to write this kind of book about any country it would be kinda similiar.

i dont think i can recommend any particular books for japans history ,most of what i know i have picked up from trips and conversations.i would definately advise against reading a book written by someone who has not lived here though,the romanticism of japan often seems to cloud the facts.

if you want a comprehensive view of japan you should look for a book written by a non-japanese,non-north american writer who has lived in japan for at least 5 years.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't care if its rosy or cynical. I heard that the Japanese have rewritten their history and I'm interested in some more objective viewpoint.

18. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Unqualified doctors that harm people, and get fat on the teet of america while they do it, hard to say that's a "contribution".

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the first time I smelled Dutch poached fish, I gagged. Made me light headed it was so odorous. The first time I smelled Australian lamb cooking, I wanted to throw up, it smells and tastes [I had to be polite] like sweat. The first time I smelled Filipino fish sauce, I ran away.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Didn't MLK learn about passive resistance from Ghandi?

And what the hell is it in Indian food that gives me a buzz. I can only eat it for supper. If I try to eat lunch at the Indian restaurant I go back to work buzzed and giggley. I love the peas that are in the cream sauce. yummy!

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But don't lots of kids smell? Or is it only the Indian kids that smell?
    I remember a kid we had in our school and you could watch the lice jump up and down on his head. We all made his life miserable.
    If only I had it to do over.

22. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I know Orleander. Why were you so cruel to me? They weren't lice, they were fleas. I had to sleep with the dogs. I almost killed myself in school because of you. Why? Did it make you feel superior or something? I just wanted a friend. Where were you then, HUH!?

23. kmguru Staff Member

Definitely...but this one may be different...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.