Incredible pic of Natural Rainbow.!!!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by cluelusshusbund, Dec 17, 2023.

?

How incredible do you rate my rainbow pic... 1 bein sad an 5 bein incredible.!!!

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Idk Dave... Ahem... i perty sure its a rainbow caused by real rain

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Sure. You know best.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Thanks… i knew it woud finally sink in

An the pic below shows part of the dark clouds durin the scattered thunder storms rollin thru that day.!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Wide view of sky durin the rainbow.!!!

Yes my frind... the skys was angry on the day of the grounded natural rainbow...
    ...made by RAIN

8. Halc Registered Senior Member

Just so. I have seen a rainbow from a car, due to rain, visible in front of trees a scant 20 yards away. The non-sprinkler variety is not as common as squirrels, but it does happen.

No, you can't walk out and mark the spot where it hits the ground. It isn't actually there after all, being nothing but an optical effect. Every occupant of the car sees a different rainbow, but every primary rainbow subtends about a 40 degree angle from where the sunlight is heading, so the rainbow looks shorter when in front of the trees because the trees convince your information processor that the effect has a location which must be in front of those trees there. I also have almost zero depth perception when stationary, so I'm all about external clues like that. I don't think someone with even very good binocular depth perception can use it to perceive an actual distance since the distance is always at infinity, or it would be if it could be focused better.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I mean, you could say that a rainbow has a distance correlated with where the water droplet cloud is.

If the cloud is closer than the trees, then so is the rainbow (inasmuch as that's where the refraction occurs). You'd see it in front of the trees. If the cloud is farther than the trees then you would see the rainbow behind them.

Height is a different matter. The "height" is better described as a subtended angle wrt to the sun's position - which will always be the same, no matter how near or far the effect is.