In the cricket

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by olichokesonburntbail, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Degeneration of the L2 disc,..as if you didn't know. too many years of rocken down the short stuff.

Now, what's the score?
    Poms'll prolly be out for 150 with Clarky back and that'll be the test. One all, one to play.

If only we could get coverage down'ere.

Tell me, someone wassa score?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Today was painful to watch.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

150? If only.
    No doubt about it, some lovely play by Australia.
    Unless there are some quick wickets this morning we can write this match off.

We need to get our bowling right for the Oval.
    Too many short balls. No pressure.

The team should be sat down tonight and forced to watch Clark videos till dawn.

Blower's commentary at the moment is about a swarm of cabbage white butterflies. What is attracting them I wonder?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The rest of this match is not about winning, it is about getting ready for the Oval. Strauss can show his leadership skills here.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Precious few straws to grasp from that debacle.
    A good tail end aqain, which is good, but not so good when the tail end score as many as the main batsmen.

This series has seen some appalling play from both sides in turn.
    Australia's turn.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Some appalling play, yes and some brilliant, not too unusual in cricket.
    I hate having a go at umpires and they do call it as they see it but Koertzen has been really poor in parts, Bowden (who, despite playing the clown is actually a very fine umpire) has been ordinary and Aleem Dar has been well below his usually very high standard.

Australia's turn..yes but a few interesting things have happened, the summer has dried out and favours the English bowlers less, the Australian batsmen have adjusted to the swing quite well and don't seem particularly troubled by it, the Australian bowlers have improved out of sight and are now very capable of knocking the Poms over twice, English morale is down, Oz's up, Ponting, Clarke and North are in brilliant form whilst England, without Pieterson, and Freddy look much less formidable.
    On Paper, it's Australia at about 5-1 on to win 2-1 but as we know it will start at one all, winner takes all come the test.
    It's been a fascinating series so far, lets hope for a finish of equal quality.

Can't believe Watson hasn't had a bowl, he's got plenty of ability and is riding on confidence. He's brought a sense of belief to the Aussie camp and it's been infectious.

And as for the cabbage white butterflies, they were attracted to Harmison's head. ( I heard that bit live).

10. Valentine_A Registered Member

Does anyone think Ravi Bopara is batting a bit too hgh at number three? I think he should be down a bit in the order – to four or five – and let the more experienced Ian Bell bat at number three instead.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

who cares as long as the poms go down again

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

BTW, i wonder whaats the shortest ever test match and how much it was won by

13. Valentine_A Registered Member

Well, earlier this year, a Test match between England and West Indies at Antigua lasted only ten balls before it was abandoned due to the pitch being unfit for play!

That could be the shortest Test match of all – though admittedly it was abandoned.

For non-abandoned matches, I know that England once beat the West Indies in just two days (by an innings of course). That was in 2000 at Headingley, Leeds, but I don’t know if that’s the record.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Current best odds are 23/5 against an England win.
    The Bookies have made their decision already.

Flintoff is now confirmed to play, and the odds have not fallen.
    I think it's not a bad bet at over 4-1.

Talk is that Ramprakash may make a return.
    Born in 1969, the same age as Warne.
    He is performing brilliantly in County cricket, but his test performance has never been good enough to keep him in the side.
    Can anyone explain to me why many great county cricketers can not adapt to test cricket.
    They say it's the pressure. Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  15. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Hi Valentine, I think Bopara at no.8 would be too high.
    Bell, fark, there's a toll to pay.
    The Pommie middle order, hello, there isn't one. The tail starts at Bopara and gets progessively more mangy as it nears the tip( adjective carefully chosen).

16. Valentine_A Registered Member

Bopara is not that bad a batsman – I just think that #3 is too high for him against opposition like Australia. The Australians are good at bouncing back from setbacks with a vengeance (they showed that after losing the Ashes last time) and this is when they can be at their most dangerous. In such a situation, it might be better for England to give the #3 role to someone with bit more experience who can handle the pressure a bit better.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Ah Cricket. Somewhat the chess of sports ?.

18. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Yes, Challenger, you're starting to get it.
    Just think of it as a big chess game with blood and you're nearly there...bravo!

Bopara should have been dropped before the last test. Seriously, he may be a good bat but his performance has been abysmal.
    Ramprakash, Trescothick, shit bring back Mark Butcher, anyone with a bit of steel.
    Bell, drop him. Collingwood, hanging by a thread.
    English middle order,..bit like Santa, don't really believe in it.

19. Valentine_A Registered Member

Good point. I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea to drop – I mean, rest

– Bopara for the crucial last Test.

20. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Kremmen, help me here, I've developed a crush on valentine ay!

*whispers* I want to ask her really personal questions about Ravi Bopara and her labial sulcus but fear that she may be one of those operatives ( possibly BG soixant neuf or something) you know what I mean.

Should I arrest myself ( I'll wait till the test is over) or take a chance and ask her if she'd mind if I put in a short fine leg?

21. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Why did the English middle order batsman cross the road?

To get off strike.

22. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Will either team play a spinner?

23. Valentine_A Registered Member

What made you think you could bowl a maiden over with that silly point of yours?