If you were God, how would you...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by NDS, Feb 27, 2008.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Karma Manifest

I tried to explain it a bit here: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=55505 a while ago, but my explanation was severely lacking and I have been working on rewriting it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh jeez.. that's looong.. lol
    I don't have time for that now.. I'll read it later

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Got to go now, have a great day/evening all !

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

God is not a simple concept.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I would let them know the who, what, where, why and how I created them. I'd keep in touch with them on a regular basis, and I would give them honest, open-minded guidance to survive well on this plant (that I created).

There would be no need for churches, because I would be talking directly out-loud to each each person. This wouldn't be hard, because I'm god, that I could communicate with all people at the same time. That's the advantage of being god.

People would have no reason to doubt me. That's another advantage of being god as well as you people being my creation. Heaven would truly be on Earth.

Ahh, but there are those of you who wouldn't believe in me and who would reject me. For you I have planted hell in your minds.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: True, but can we just pretend?

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You wouldn't, there is no Singularity. (singularity everyone in this instance believing/agreeing with the same thing)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This is one of the many conflicting statements which proves the essence of religion to be "Polymorphic Whispers" (That's the Politically corrected version of "Chinese Whispers")

The statement saying "God" writes the bible and states comment X in "John 20:30-31". Well John is in fact the author (At least for name sake) and apparently the other authors "Copied" the same material but just altered it for use in different Roman Provinces (Occupied territories) and Languages.

11. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Funny enough, you are describing a second coming of the Messiah Jesus kind of event.

Yes Jesus will come in the sky and all eyes will see Him and the world’s injuries will be healed and made anew.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

12. Yorda Registered Senior Member

yeah.. but god doesn't want to prove his existence to us, he wants us to have free will to believe what we want.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, it's a collective wish to undo the destruction we instinctively know we have wrought. It's pure infantile fantasy.

14. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I believe it will happen.

If you want to believe it is an infantile fantasy then so be it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I would whisper to an angel and tell this angel some secrets that IT would then whisper into the head of some human in the desert of the ME so that he could then tell other people about me - and in that way they will know both that I am real as well as what my wishes are. As proof of my being real, during the night (when no one else was looking) I would take this human on a fairy-winged horsey ride up into heaven so that he could look around and see the place for himself. That way back in the morning when everyone was awake he could tell them of heaven - BOOM BABY puuuurrreeee PROOF! Also, as more proof I'd give this human some special favors, like having more wives than the other humans - Haa! Now THAT'S what I call proof. For my final proof I'd ensure that no one wrote down all these good secrets I told an angel to tell this human until, you know, sometime in the future when they could be collected from foggy old mens' memories and bark and such.

What more proof do you need? Geesh!

16. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Why, Yorda, did Jesus perform miracles? Just for the fun of it? Again, your claim that "god doesn't want to prove his existence to us" because of free will is completely wrong.

Jesus performed miracles to HELP people believe in him. He didn't MAKE people believe in him, that's impossible with free will. Instead, he helped them out a lot by doing many amazing things which deny physics and which, to me, constitute good evidence and would probably convince me of God/Jesus as well.

Miracle Turning water into Wine
    John 2:11
    11 This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.

God/Jesus proves his existence to his disciples.

Miracle: Miscellaneous
    John 2:23
    23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.

God/Jesus proves his existence to many people.

Miracle: Feeding of the 5,000
    John 6:14
    14 Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.

God/Jesus proves his existence to many people.

Miracle: Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead
    John 11:45
    45 Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

God/Jesus proves his existence to many Jews.

John 1:45-49
    45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." 46 And Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." 47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!" 48 Nathanael said to Him, "How do You know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." 49 Nathanael answered and said to Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!

God/Jesus proves his existence to Nathanael.

John 2:18-22
    18 So the Jews answered and said to Him, "What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?" 19 Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." 20 Then the Jews said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?" 21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body. 22 Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

God/Jesus proves his existence to the disciples.

So, Yorda, did these thousands of people Jesus performed miracles in front of lose their free will? I don't think so.

If God/Jesus doesn't like proving his existence to people, he really acted strangely in the instances mentioned above (and the hundreds of miracles that weren't written in the Bible).

17. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't!

if they knew god exists they wouldnt have free will anymore.

18. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

My original question assumes that humans can never "know" God exists. So if you were God, what would you do to increase the faith of people of your existence (not knowledge). Remember, there is nothing God can do to make us know he exists. We can't really know anything, besides the one fact that we, and only us as individuals, exist. Everything outside of that is questionable.

And again, you say trying to convince people that you exist is taking away free will. So was Jesus wrong in taking away thousands of people's free will by showing them amazing miracles as described above?

19. kmguru Staff Member

Why? These are creatures of limited intelligence, why bother....may be my evolution process would make these little creatures understand in about a million years...I will wait...I am God...time is nothing to me....

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

For starters, I'd talk back.
    Ever noticed how prayer is an awfully one-sided conversation?

21. Yorda Registered Senior Member

to help people.

not even god can violate the laws of physics because the world is physical.

most of these miracles are just metaphors for something else, not real miracles.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

That's fairly easy...
    Manifest your power.

23. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Okay, so John was lying when he mentioned that miracles were done and written about to help people believe.

By the way, who was Jesus helping when he shows Nathanael he had crazy psychic abilities. Or when he rose Lazarus from the dead which led many to believe? Or when he made predicitions to the desciples that "the temple" would rise three days after his death which led the disciples to believe?

So the Bible, which you said God wrote, is lying about the miracles? They weren't real?