If you were a psychopath...

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Dec 14, 2006.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

in utter devotion to thee, beloved sam

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Yet most people are compassionate. Is that the product of our intelect and developed conscience, an imposed restraint of social ethics, or a character trait unique to our species? I would choose the last, but I am curious what others might think.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Already I have to disagree! I think most people CLAIM to be compassionate, but are they really? I don't think so.

And I know of no way to actually discover the truth ....other than to watch the "entertainment" dollars spent during major disasters, etc. For example, during the tsunami in Asia, the entertainment dollars remained almost the say as before or after. With the New Orleans disaster, the entertainment dollars remained the same, and even surged during the ongoing disaster.

What does that tell us? That maybe humans can be compassionate, yet still go out and celebrate and have a great time ...while others are suffering horribly?

I ain't so sure that I'd call that "compasson", would you?

Well, just try to imagine what life would be like if there were no laws, no rules, no punishment for wrongdoing, etc. Try real hard to imagine it. Then you come back and tell me just how great and wonderful humans are.

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sderenzi Banned Banned

If I were a psychopath I would just go around raping everyone that's below 18 in age and sexy, lmao Anyway I am not so no bad there... also I'm sleepie now hold me :Z

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think that many have a fascination with disaster. And certainly the media will be there to serve it up. It did provoke many into acts of compassion in response.

PBS had a special yesterday regarding the science and tragedy of the tsunami in Asia. It does place things into perspective.

I think it (we) would reorganize into another social structure, as it has been doing so for thousands of years. Whenever a social structure falls another evolves and takes its place. Iraq might be a good example of such. It also serves as an example for your point.

Would our efforts over there then be considered an act of compassion? Is the soldier then a warrior of love and compassion? I see no rational reason to place his or her life in jeapordy if we are nothing more than omnivore survivalist.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Why would you specify "below 18 and sexy?"

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And if you know your history very well, then you know that that "reorganization" is always brought about by force of arms! Ain't no other way to do it ....and as you've mentioned, Iraq is a prime example of it.

Many people think so. But this is not the thread to be discussing the Irag War.

Of course! But you'll notice that you didn't specify from which perspective. Perspective is all-important in such discussions. But again, this is not the thread to discuss the war.

Baron Max

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Everyone knows that women are at their "finest" at about that age! After that, women begin to get fat, ugly thighs and their tits begin to sag, and their faces begin to wrinkle. You didn't know that??

Baron Max

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

The Roman Empire would be the best example.

I simply pulled it down as an example for our discussion. You said that once governance is removed, chaos rules. The war in Iraq would be an example for your argument. It seems that it is trying to reshape itself despite our best efforts.

Perspective of those fighting the war, of course. We are talking about psychopathic personalities. Where better to search than in Iraq. There are plenty of masks to be worn there. My impulse is to place the most noble on our troops--those whom I do support.

I don't understand your opposition, but it doesn't matter to me. I wont mention Iraq again in this thread.

13. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

That happened with my friend's hampsters like 6 years ago.
    Not jealoussy, it's just so they can mate. There is some infanticidethat's unexplained, but with lions it's usually about mating.
    That's how people should be.

14. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the first post in this thread is exactly how i live.

15. Sputnik Banned Banned

I actually think I was like that, when I was a wee one ......
    Now I am so different - probably booooring and reponsible and mature ...

Still, Sam , when I read this, I think of this cruel joke :

Alice met a beautiful lovely man at the funeral of her grandma .....
    She did not get his adress or phone number - but she dreamt about him and wanted him so much ..... she was head over heels in love with him ....

3 months later she murdered her sister ---- WHY ?????????????

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Meat eaters generally manage a kind of double-think. Their expressed attitudes to animal suffering are very different to their practical actions (or lack thereof) with regard to it.

Yes.

No. Haven't I explained this before? I do not consider mosquitoes and flies to have the same degree of consciousness, and particularly self-consciousness as animals such as cows, sheep and so on. Nevertheless, I still do not pull wings off flies just for the fun of it.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Okay, fine. Then why shouldn't you allow others to make their own adjustments to the "degree of consciousness" that you do yourself?

All you're doing and saying, James, is "I'm right, you're wrong!" ...and that ain't the way to make friends and influence people, is it? Is that the way you approach "diplomacy"??

Baron Max

18. Sputnik Banned Banned

The answer to the riddle :
    Alice was a psychopath , she wanted her man ... and had met him at a funeral in the family ..... so she decided , she wanted to go to a new funeral in the family , to meet him again .....
    Only problem , you need a corpse for a funeral ... so she murdered her sister ...

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Did the plan work?

Baron Max

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Not sure, but I'd be interested to read it. Link?
    Would you kill any mammal? Let's start with.. a mouse. Would you kill a mouse? What about large reptiles? Can you supply us with a complete list of things you'd be prepared to kill without having sleepless nights about it?

PS What's self-consciousness got to do with it?

21. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Wow youre really scraping the bottom of the barrel here but ok lol.
    Clearly even if i sentient animal cannot 'feel' a part of their body its not ok to remove those body parts. due to psychological distress, and also the possibility that they may die in the process.
    Once again, plants cannot experience psychological distress, so it does not apply, they arnt members of the hunter/predator paradigm so they havent evolved to experience those type of responses.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

23. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Ive read studies proposing that plants might experience pain, or possibly emit some kind of 'distress signal' but ive yet to see and experiments that follow specific well implemented criteria and that prove anything substantial beyond what we already know. Untill then...