if you could be beautiful or strong, but not both...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by visceral_instinct, Jun 6, 2009.

?

which would you pick?

1. I'd rather be beautiful looking

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. I'd rather be a super strong mutant

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

The red bandana is a specific symbol for something.

My relatively modest clothes are not part of an accepted code for something. They're just clothes.

My sticking up for myself is a whole lot better than taking it in silence.

I don't have a complex. I do however refuse to tolerate being treated as just a soft body to be violated.

Like I said I'm not the only one, either.

You come over here and build me a nice venue, and I'll go to that one in my mesh and leather where the men are civilized, and never have to complain again.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jpappl Valued Senior Member

The red/blue bandana's are to show what gang you belong to.

The point being, that if I wear a blue bandana in the red bandana gang's territory, there will be consequences. Not becuase it's right, it's just how it is.

I guess were are trying to determine why they have such a childish reaction to you.

In the end the solution seems to adapt somewhat or change venues. Otherwise as Lucy said, you know what your getting into so don't be suprised.

Still haven't answered my question and it's personal I know so just let me know.

But do you think you would want to have children one day ?
    Do you see yourself in a relationship someday ?
    Not sure if this is known but are you interested in men or women ?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I'm not surprised.

Like I said, there's not much choice of venues.

I don't go to a certain nightclub unless I'm with a group, or I will end up killing someone.

Other than that, changing venues mean's don't go anywhere.

Why do you want to know if I want children?

To answer your question, I'm not sure yet about children, but I probably won't. I'm not very pragmatic, stable, or motherly.

Yeah, a relationship would be nice.

I'm attracted to men only. I like women only as friends.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. grimace Banned Banned

i would certainly rther be beautiful. since i know what that is like and i am used to it, so it is familiar.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Not many.
    There also aren't many women in this kind of position either since vast numbers of them apparently have normal menial day jobs. Attractiveness is not a golden ticket by any means.

You should back this one up with some evidence.
    Admittedly, my own is a bit weak since my only example was to post google results. I "believe" it suggests a smaller minority of people are actually interested in locating attractive men because there are not many results listed in the index. It should have pulled up numerous random hits (discussions, articles, etc).

Your statement (if true) would level the playing field. I'd love for a comparison of the "powers" that was non-specific to gender.

I still don't think it would be as useful as super mutant strength. The strength is something you can take wherever you go. If you are on an alien world with no other humans around, and you need to climb a steep rock face, then beauty would be totally useless.
    If you need to make it from one side of a desert to the other, the super strength would be infinitely more useful than the beauty. I think being beautiful would give a slight advantage if you were crossing it with a few people of the opposite sex. One of them may be attracted to you and offer you the last of the water supply (giving you the better chance at survival than the others), but wouldn't it be better to simply have the strength to cross the desert?
    If my child was trapped in burning wreckage after a car accident, I'd MUCH rather have super strength than beauty.

9. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Yes, but beautiful women with menial jobs can earn 6 figures by marrying rich. THAT'S clever.

And men have all sorts of charms that make women weak: Humor and artistic/musical/writing talent are huge for me.

10. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

That's about as clever as winning the lottery. You are lucky to be attractive, and ever luckier to find a rich available exploitable bachelor.

Well --yeah-- but the OP defined the beauty option as being "visually attractive". Even I could name off a few arbitrary traits that do it for me. Are you mentioning these things to support a case? I wouldn't say these things qualify as visual beauty seeing as how they are all manifestations of being "capable".

11. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Dom,

Are you kidding. Yes there are beautiful women working menial jobs, but there are also alot of them sitting by expensive pools married to a rich guy. Not saying this is the goal, just saying that if they weren't attractive they most likely would not be there.

Here is some evidence:

"And men have all sorts of charms that make women weak: Humor and artistic/musical/writing talent are huge for me."

This is true. But what if you were a female who wanted to have a relationship with a man and have children.

I suppose you could just threaten some poor guy into having children or you will rip his head off.

So you would take super strength for a specific situation, but sacrifice being able to attract a mate. I guess it would depend on how bad you want or would like a relationship and children.

Unfortunately, there is a reason women have the features they do and men have the features they do. Every study that I have seen has the same results. Men like females with specific features and women like men for other features and they are not the same.

It's just the way it is.

12. jpappl Valued Senior Member

The point is that womens major power over men is their beauty.
    Men have powers but women are a little more complicated, they might like an attractive man but they can be equally impressed with other traits.

13. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Ok, Thanks.

So here is where I am going with this.

One day the question of the desire to have kids may change and in a big way. There is no point going through life angry or hating men or blaming them for all the problems.

You will have relationships that fail and some that work and hopefully some that work very well.

Do you think you will find that person at these venues ?

One day you will want a family or a more serious relationship, you will have moved on. You will be thankful for beauty because it is whether you like it or not, important to the man, the one you want to be involved with.

It may not be fair but I suggest you embrace it and use it. With regrards to men and relationships, it's like have mutant strength. You already have it and you didn't know.

By the way T&J is wrong. Men aren't pigs, were dogs.

14. PaladinJuggernaut Registered Member

It seems from what I've been reading...and sorry for interrupting, if I did...
    That each power is afforded an advantage in a given situation.
    Living in a relationship oriented, male dominated (assuming it is) society, beauty would help you more, to the point of manipulating males into beneficial gain(not bad manipulating of course). However, this is only proven true so long as gender roles and massagenistic hierarchies are kept; i.e. if straight women ruled commerce beauty might not be so necessary, and especially if humans ever stopped basing so much on vanity.
    In a more practical sense, strength would have the clear advantage, you'd be super-human and more powerful than anyone else, though extenuating circumstances must be factored in. However, due to the technological and relative civilization of humanity, the strength would seem to grant you little more than the chance of being a modern day superhero/ villain.
    So, I believe that , given the right conditions, Super Strength is necessary moreso than beauty.
    However, because of double standards, income inequalities, and just a general imbalcnce, for practicalities sake, so long as you're a female on civilized earth, beauty will when out.
    Just me, though...and by the way, I did choose super strength.

15. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Yes, I *am* lucky to be attractive.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Ever notice the women here are very attractive, BTW? And educated. And bitchy.)

No, the fact that I've dated men with good careers/education/made decent money is not sheer luck anymore than it's been their luck that I'm pretty. I'm sure it's considered when we're both scoping each other out. Also, finding some old fool to obsess over you if you're a halfway pretty girl who takes care of herself is like shooting fish in a barrel.

The fact of the matter is that beauty is a valuable asset. Anna Nicole didn't have a good career because of her outstanding marketing sense.

I'll talk to anyone. If someone makes me laugh or displays a talent, I'll look again, but I'll go for more traditional visual stuff. Here are visual assets I like:

Good muscular arms and legs
    A fairly fit mid-section
    A well-defined jaw
    A great head of hair (If it's all gelled up, ew, and I love blondes and redheads, and curly hair.)
    Good teeth/good smile

16. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I meant that it was something that relies on chance rather than ingenuity. Being "beautiful" is a situational roll of the dice. An individual is either granted it or not....well.......except us hehe, we get to vote. Furthermore, finding a "mark" is also a gamble.

17. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

You're oversimplifying. Being beautiful is somewhat a roll of the dice, but it's also a matter of how you take care of yourself.

Hang out at any upper class bar that white collars are known to frequent. Be in good shape, wear classy but sexy clothes. You'll find someone with a fairly deep pocket very quickly. Withhold sex, and they're in love. It's shallow, but true. I'm not a total knockout, nor are the friends I've seen do this, but it works because of being pretty.

18. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Takandjive,

"Withhold sex, and they're in love."

You got it.

19. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Except with the good ones. I've never denied men I'm in love with sex. Why would I want to?

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Hell, I withheld intercourse for years. God said so that's why

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Fair nuff. But what about this

I don't have mutant strength. What was this a reference to?

Damn, but I like sex.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What is 'mutant strength' ?

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Just means massively enhanced physical strength far outside the norm....like one of the mutants from X-men