If you could ask 1 question...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by kira, Jul 28, 2011.

1. kira Valued Senior Member

.... to a great leader of your country, face to face, what would you ask?

In a few days I will have an opportunity to follow a public lecture given by the ex president of my country. The theme of the lecture is about reorganizing and reinventing young Indonesian scientists abroad etc blablabla

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. If I am unlucky, this will be my first and last chance to have a face to face opportunity to meet him, so I don't want to waste this chance.

If you were me, if you have the chance to meet your country's leaders, what kind of question would you ask? What kind of message would you like to convey?

This is him, in an English interview in youtube 3 years ago

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If I were you I'd wait and see what questions are answered by him first by others attending the event. Perhaps the question I might suggest will be answered by him either during his speech or by another person there that asks it before you do. You have enough knowledge that you can decide what a good question would be to ask because you're much more interested in what happens and what happened before. So I know you can formulate what you feel is a good question by yourself. Keep us abreast of what happens and good luck.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

boxers or briefs?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

There haven't been any great leaders of this country for 70 years.

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Dear Mrs. President Rouseff,

Would you be against young citizens who are unhappy with how the country is being led to engage in militant activities against the government?

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

10. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I would ask, "what do I need to do to help you make the country for the people, by the people, and sustain it"?

11. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

I would ask for the launch codes for the nukes, his authorization code for air strikes, military frequencies etc.

Hey, I would say "please"

What? I asked nicely

EDIT: Forgot Canada doesn't have nukes

12. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately, Martin Luther King is dead...I think he was the last leader we had that was great.

Given that Barack's ok and seems to be growing a spine...
    I'd ask him when he's going to bring manufacturing and skilled labor jobs back home?
    Of course I already know the answer is he's not. Which is why things are going to keep on sucking.

13. RedRabbit Registered Senior Member

I'd like to ask why bankers and investors in other countries can make high risk investments in my country and when they don't work out they get a return on their money anyway leaving me and my fellow citizens to pay off their bets?

14. Hellenologophobia Registered Senior Member

I would ask if he/she could balance a checkbook. :bugeye:

Kira,

Is Indonesia safe to visit?

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I would ask him about his vision to end protectionism in an evermore dependent world , or if He had any vision or insight into over coming countries that us protectionism to gain advantage over other countries and if he sees Indonesia as a free enough county to act globally in free markets with out boarders .. What do you see as a plan to combat monetary manipulation by the Chinese Government . Or something like . " If we are to compete with the rest of the world in economic trade what do you see as the economic driver for our country? Any new industries in the radar that can bring potential wealth to the average citizen with out comprising the environmental health of Indonesia

16. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Or you could address distribution problems locally . Your side of the world is what I mean by local . How about national security issues ? You got any of those . Like the peasant population . What to do to raise the peasant population to a higher standard of living . Do you think it beneficial to raise the the peasant population above there existing status and do you think that by doing so we would strengthen our country as a whole?

17. kira Valued Senior Member

Heiya, all, thanks a lot for the interesting feedbacks....!

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i wouldn't bother because all politicians in this country do is lie anyway, so what's the point?

19. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Here's what tou need to keep in mind: whatever answer you are going to get is PR/bullshit/lie/nicetyMwhatever makes him look good. You are not going to get a valuable answer.

Therefore the power in the opportunity to ask a question is in the question itself. It's reasonable to think that there is going to be some media involved, so your question, if well put and aligning with the mind of your fellow citizen's feelings, could have the power to motivate, or to rile people up on an important subject.

That is what I aimed ar when I made the question I posted above.J my question to pres. Rousseff is particularlypertinent because she was a militant in the 70s herself)

20. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

For example, if I could as obama a question i'd do it like thisN

Mr. President, when you go to bed, before you fall asleep and you're thinking about life and stuff, how do you feel being singled handedly responsible for killing the last glimmer of hope your voters had on the system? How do you feel knowing that because of you, over half of this country will never trust anyone again?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if I was there, I would ask what are his suggestions for reorganizing and reinventing young Indonesian scientists at home so as to prevent a brain drain.

22. kira Valued Senior Member

I have already took a note of some suggestions from Me-ki-gal, Varda, Sam, and a couple of others, I think they are good. Thanks, guys, the program is tomorrow, yayy

The information below is exagerated (I was born and lived in Indonesia for 27 years before, and I was just fine and so are my family and friends!), but it contains some truth and rather comprehensive:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Indonesia#Stay_safe
    Stay safe

Indonesia has been and continues to be wracked by every pestilence known to man: earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, terrorism, civil strife, plane crashes, corruption and crime make the headlines on a depressingly regular basis. However, it is important to retain a sense of proportion and remember Indonesia's vast size: a tsunami in Aceh will not cause the slightest ripple on the beaches of Bali, and street battles in troubled Central Sulawesi are irrelevant in the jungles of Papua.

The crime rate has increased in recent years, but fortunately it remains mostly non-violent and guns are rare. Robbery, theft and pickpocketing are common in Indonesia, particularly in markets, public transport and pedestrian overpasses. Avoid flashing jewelry, gold watches, MP3 players or large cameras. Thieves have been known to snatch laptops, PDAs and cellphones from Internet hotspot areas.

Crime is rampant on local and long-distance public transport (bus, train, ships). Do not accept drinks from strangers, as they may be laced with drugs. Choose your taxis carefully in cities (hotel taxis are often best), lock doors when inside and avoid using cellular phones, MP3 players, PDAs or laptops at traffic lights or in traffic jams.

Do not place valuable items in checked baggage, as they may be stolen by baggage handlers. Do not leave valuable items in an empty hotel room, and use the hotel's safe deposit box instead of the in-room safe.

Do not draw large amounts of cash from banks or ATMs. Guard your belongings carefully and consider carrying a money clip instead of a wallet.

Indonesia is one of the world's most corrupt countries. Officials may ask for bribes, tips or "gifts" — the Indonesian terms are uang kopi or uang rokok, literally "coffee money" and "cigarette money" — to supplement their meager salaries; pretending you do not understand may work. Generally, being polite, smiling, asking for an official receipt for any 'fees' you are asked to pay, more politeness, more smiling, will avoid any problems.

The going rate for paying your way out of small offenses (not carrying your passport, losing the departure card, minor or imaginary traffic violation, etc) is Rp 50,000 ($5.50). It's common for police to initially demand silly amounts or threaten you with going to the station, but keep cool and they'll be more reasonable. Also note that if your taxi/bus/car driver is stopped, any fine or bribe is not your problem and it's best not to get involved. (If it's clear that the police were out of line, your driver certainly won't object if you compensate him afterwards though.)

Indonesia has a number of provinces where separatist movements have resorted to armed struggles, notably Aceh and Papua. In addition, sectarian strife between Muslims and Christians, as well as between the indigenous population and transmigrants from Java/Madura, continues to occur in Maluku, central parts of Sulawesi and some areas of Kalimantan. Elections in Indonesia frequently involve rowdy demonstrations that have on occasion spiralled into violence, and the Indonesian military have also been known to employ violent measures to control or disperse protesting crowds. Travel permits (surat jalan) are required for entering conflict areas such as much of Papua and Poso and Palu in central Sulawesi.

While the great majority of civil strife in Indonesia is a strictly local affair, terrorist bombings targeting Western interests have also taken place in Bali and Jakarta, mostly notably the 2002 bombing in Kuta that killed 202 people, including 161 tourists. To minimize your risk, avoid any tourist-oriented nightclub or restaurant without strong security measures in place or where parking of cars and/or motorcycles in front of the club is permitted.

Nevertheless, you are far more likely to be killed in a traffic accident than in some random terrorist attack in Indonesia, so while you should be prudent, there is no need to be paranoid.

Travel Warning

WARNING: Indonesia treats drug offences severely. The death penalty is mandatory for those convicted of trafficking, manufacturing, importing or exporting more than 15 g of heroin, 30 g of morphine, 30 g of cocaine, 500 g of cannabis, 200 g of cannabis resin and 1.2 kg of opium, and possession of these quantities is all that is needed for you to be convicted. For unauthorised consumption of the above-mentioned drugs plus MDMA (ecstasy) and crystal methamphetamine, there is a maximum of 10 years' jail or very heavy fine, or both. You can be charged for unauthorised consumption as long as traces of illicit drugs are found in your system, even if you can prove that they were consumed outside the country, and you can be charged for trafficking as long as drugs are found in bags that are in your possession or in your room, even if they aren't yours and regardless of whether you're aware of them.

Visitors are greeted with cheery "DEATH TO DRUG TRAFFICKERS" signs at airports and recent cases have seen long jail terms for simple possession and nine Australian heroin traffickers (known as the "Bali 9") are on death row in Bali awaiting execution. Other foreigners have already been executed for drug trafficking— but drugs are still widely available.

The most common is marijuana (known as gele or cimeng), which is not only sold to tourists but is used as food in some parts of the country, notably Aceh.

Hard drugs are common in the nightlife scene, especially in Jakarta and Bali, but also elsewhere. Ecstasy, cocaine and crystal methamphetimine are widely available and dealt with equally harshly by the Indonesian police.

Magic mushrooms are advertised openly in parts of Bali and Lombok and although the Indonesian legal position on these is unclear, purchase and consumption is unwise.

It's highly advisable to steer well clear, as entrapment and drug busts are common and you really, really don't want to get involved with the Indonesian justice system; thanks to the anti-corruption drive, you cannot count on being able to bribe your way out anymore and escape a harsh or even far worse sentence.

Indonesia is a chain of highly volcanic islands sprinkled along the Ring of Fire, so earthquakes occur constantly and tsunamis and volcano eruptions are all too common. Realistically, there is little you can do to avoid these risks, but familiarize yourself with the warning signs and pay special heed to fire escape routes in hotels.

Crocodiles and poisonous snakes are present throughout most of Indonesia, although they are uncommon in most areas. Komodo dragons can be very dangerous if harassed, but are only found on Komodo Island and a few neighboring islands in Flores.

Attitudes toward homosexuality vary vastly. Cosmopolitan Jakarta and Bali boast gay nightclubs and bencong (transvestites and transsexuals) seem to have a special place in Indonesian culture. In staunchly Islamic areas such as Aceh homosexuals can be caned. As a general rule however, gay visitors should err on the side of discretion; while violence against homosexuals is a blessed rarity, you may still be met with nasty comments and unwanted attention. ​

23. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Haha, I would ask Obama who is his favorite rapper and if he could freestyle. Jks