If there's no God...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by ggazoo, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, and in the world today people can't stand other people enforcing/having different beliefs.

I am talking about some sort of society where, beliefs would be tolerated, but the essential thing is that all people HAVE belief.

Or, we could simply have seperate societies but we could still interact.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Your talking about some fairytale world were people all just hug and accept each other. Its not going to happen, difference breeds distrust, and distrust breeds hate. Sorry

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No, firstly, for two reasons

1) False hope? We would first need to determine if God exists.
    2) It would be adapted; again, as we do not KNOW if there is a God, but know of the benefits of moderate faith in society as opposed to atheism, it would be wiser to implement the former.
    Therefore, that hope would be beneficial wheras the hard truth would lead to a shittier world than today; a world where the only "important" things are money, media, drugs, etc

I think it'd just be a waste.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Norsefire,

You mean like the faith that believes that suicide bombings allow one to enter heaven and be glorified. Or the faith where large groups of families come together and commit mass suicide. Or the faith that rampaged through the holy lands slaughtering anyone and everyone who would not convert to their faith. Etc.

Obviously all wonderful ideas.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Well we can have seperate societies, or a commonly accepted religion. These societies would still be happier

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No. Do you know what the world "moderate" means? A moderate form of faith in society IS beneficial over pure atheism.

And, seeing as you do not know if there is a God, you cannot detest such practices.

10. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Why would it lead to a worse world? Because death is portrayed as this big scary black thing that comes to get you? Well its not, its going to happen to everyone, and its just the next step in a journy. I know that when i die most likely thats will be it for me, and I dont feelthe world is at all worse off.

11. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Norsefire,

There need be no implications. Theism is technically irational. Rational thought is based on evidence and afcts, religions specifically have no factual basis.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The universe is everything, to say something is outside it is to say it doesn't exist. No one knows if there is a creator, but no one knows if our brains are really tripping hedgehogs on another planet, and the grey matter is just the part that extrudes into this world. You see, there is an infinite number of things we could say we don't know exist.

I see that the vast majority of processes in the observable universe are not intelligent. Intelligence is a quality employed by a small number of living animals that either hunt or are hunted, and so evolved the need to anticipate danger in order to avoid it.

Furthermore, the living things, which are the only things that seem to require a supernatural explanation, do not exhibit the qualities of designed things.

The world order in Brave New World depended on classes of people with varying degrees of ignorance, supported by constant brainwashing, propaganda, and above all, faith.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I've already explained this; not only after death, but the peace of mind, hope, and comfort it brings to society as a whole.

Because of the family aspect
    Because of the encouragement of being a good person

It would also create common ground among the people, for them to have that faith and be confident, rather than only fretting constantly about money, drugs, some pointless tv show and that's the world today.

Faith, belief, hope: I think these are beneficial. I don't want to live in a world where people just have no belief, where they just don't care.

Not to mention in my opinion culture would take a big hit; many holidays would take a hit. It'd be boring, and pointless, and consequently I think there would be little point in living.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

However, when the opposite also does not have facts and evidence, it would be unwise to call theists only irrational; the only rational people are agnostics.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Couldn't it also lead to complacence? Lack of thinking about our place in the universe? Lack of concern for the fate of the planet?

16. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Wait, you don't think that building a better world for ourselves and our children is a higher calling?

Equal in what regards? My older brother was born with a defect in his brain that has left him mentally handicapped for life, with the brain/development of a child. Were he and I born equal?

I would never want to forcibly remove it. However, if I had the ability to persuade someone to give up religion on their own accord, I'd use it. And even in my America, God is most certainly not everywhere. In certain select parts of the country, absolutely. We've got representatives being elected on platforms that claim homosexuals are worse than terrorism and will destroy the US, a thought process reinforced by years of indoctrination by a book that for some reason is given legitimacy over other fairy tales. But that kind of person would be laughed and scoffed at in a different part of the country.

Recent polling data shows that religion is slowly but surely losing it's grip on Americans.

17. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I see people with faith still fretting over those very things you said faith would help them overcome.

What about the fear of what awaits you if you do wrong? the stress and burden of sin?

Just because you dont believe in god doesnt mean you dont care.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I am only saying that I do not believe that our senses can truly sense EVERYTHING within the universe; our handicap is that we can only sense the physical.

What would be the qualities of designed things? Besides, did I say that an intelligent entity guided us along? No. I said it is possible, and not ridiculous, that some sort of intelligence had led to the creation of the universe (or influenced it); not necessarily that that intelligence is supernatural, nor that it governs us.

Again, is it irrational to think, for instance, that our universe may be some experiment by a greater intelligence? That we are, right now, being examined by a scientist?

Perhaps ridiculous, but we are not explaining something WITHIN OUR WORLD; we are attempting to explain where all that we know, has come from.

I disagree; remember, in Brave New World faith was discouraged; a man making something of himself was LIKEWISE discouraged.

What I mean is that in an atheist society, I don't actually think the people would be as in Brave New World, but rather have no more "purpose" than in brave new world. In Brave New World what was the point of living?

People did not do anything for themselves

In a moderately faithful society, I think the benefit is that encouragement to do something for yourself, to reach something HIGHER, and to overall, have that faith and unity and common ground with society.

19. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Norsefire,

Any group that confuses reality with a fantasy seems highly unlikely to be beneficial to anyone.

I don't know what you think pure atheism means but if I take that to mean an absence of theistic belief then we could make no assumptions of what such a society might be like. Atheists comprise both very moral people and very immoral. Their only connection is an absence of theistic belief.

However, if we consder an alternate beneficial community to one based on religious concepts then the best would be one based on rational needs not irrational fantasies. The issues of theism/atheism would simply not be applicable.

I don't care much what others believe, they are free to do whatever they wish providing they do not adversely affect my survival.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No; as Saladin said, not everything is decided by God. Some things need work by people.

21. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

So Norsefire, if you suddenly somehow someway found out for certain tomorrow that God does not exist, there's no heaven/hell etc., you'd have no point of living? You'd just sit there and rot away?

EDIT:
    Absolutely it's irrational! Is it possible? Sure. But since we have absolutely no evidence to suggest this might be true, belief in it would be ridiculous. Then you might as well believe in every untestable unfalsifiable thing you could think of.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I'd say MOST sin in religion is justified: like, no stealing, no murder, etc

23. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Norsefire,

Whatever. It still leaves the theist position as irrational. Do you understand that? Accusing another faction of the same fault does not valiate in any sense your own failures.