If there is intelligent life why can't we detect it?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by trevor borocz johnson, Dec 7, 2015.

1. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

I don't have a patent on it yet

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Well then just give us a general overview.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

http://www.google.com/patents/US4508192
    actually its already an invention. My idea is to use the highly sensitive elastic microphone to test for gravity waves. I have an experimental idea for the use of this invention to test for gravity waves here on earth. My idea originates from the theory that in order to hear gravity waves, one would have to listen for them like a whispering person in a stadium of yelling fans, by placing your ear directly in their face. The experiment requires that the whole arrangement be enclosed in a vacuum. The experiment involves shooting a cannonball into a loop structure so that it circles around rapidly. The loop structure has a 3 inch square cut out from it. An elastic microphone is placed in a proximity of one millimeter of distance from the reach of the cannonball through the cutout. The experiment further includes the idea of allowing for the elastic microphone to enter a 'free fall' state by placing the instrument in a holder and attaching the holder to a slinky device that is held up so that the slinky is outstretched vertically. When let go the slinky causes a momentary free fall effect in the microphone; This is done repeatedly in one test. The free fall effect, and the vacuum theoretically would eliminate seismic and atmospheric noise.The gravity waves are obviously weak but the gravity sensitive elastic may provide a sensitive enough detector.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And how will it compensate for traffic movement outside the building?
    Or shifts in the building due to winds?
    Or people walking past?
    Or thermal noise/ expansion of the container?
    You obviously don't understand how low the frequency is, despite being given the figures.

8. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

frequency can be adjusted with thickness of the elastic. the spinning ball would be loudest to the microphone over building winds or people walking. thermal heat would be at the blst point I think not the loop structure. The gasses would be present possibly from the decomposition of the fuel that was left in the room in the first place into Einstein's mass to energy equation.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Posting meaningless drivel doesn't answer my questions.

10. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Was that suposed to make sense?

11. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

You have to look at it 3 dimensionally, the elastic is stronger at picking up vibrations in the area then a paper or plastic diaphragm , the frequency determines if the signal is more bass or treble.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Hey, here's a challenge. Let's all see if it's possible to provide feedback without utterly denigrating the poster in the process.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Trevor, a far more accurate way to detect distances is with lasers. They can detect movements down to nanometers, much better than any elastic membrane, and they are not subject to a multitude of noise factors that would utterly confound your setup. For example, accelerating a cannonball will cause it to distort and reverberate.

The issue isn't with measuring the movement of the mass, it is with the movement of the mass being cluttered with noises far, far smaller than you are introducing with shooting masses around, using necessarily imperfect physical membranes, microphones, etc.

14. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

my answer: you have matter and energy.thats it. lasers are energy and elastic is matter. would it not be better to use matter to detect waves created by the movement of matter? see elastic is like a molecular spring force, this would be a pretty good scale. I have my doubts you can detect gravity waves with a laser can you detect radio waves with an optical telescope? it seems fishy to me. And I ve heard the old cliche since I was twelve, that they're to weak to detect locally, but has anyone ever proposed a system like the cannonball/loop structure to create an oscillating force?

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Lasers detect distance, not gravity.

You are looking for movement in a large mass' that's all the detector needs to do. The laser will detect the movement accurately.

The distances we are talking about are smaller than the molecules in your membrane. It's like a bulldozer testing the fluttering of a flower.

The problem to be solved is not detection, it is getting the mass to move due to gravity waves as opposed to other causes.

16. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

that sounds different then my experiment

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I agree. What I'm talking about is measuring gravity waves. I'm not sure what your experiment will do.

18. timojin Valued Senior Member

No Extraterrestrial Laser Pulses Detected, SETI Reports
    http://www.wirelessdesignmag.com/ne...?et_cid=4993396&et_rid=439217393&location=top

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

exchemist likes this.
  21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

"Shooting" a heavy cannonball into a 1 mm proximity of a microphone doesn't sound very practical to me.

Why do you need the cannonball? What is it for?

Wouldn't the vibrations through the slinky device and the casing of the instrument completely swamp any vibrations due to gravitational waves?

Do you have a good idea about just how weak these gravity waves are that you are trying to detect? Can you give us a quantitative idea of the level of effect you will be measuring? For example, how far do you expect the elastic microphone to stretch when it detects a gravity wave?

22. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

I m going to post my theory on gravity and what gravity waves are. That will explain the effect I intend to cause with the cannonball.
    This I'm not sure of. The free fall effect is caused by two energies canceling each other out, the energy of the slinky dropping as a whole, and the energy stored in the slinky as a spring. I've only ever seen this done as a magic trick on coast to coast am website. There was no physics or explanation to it. So long answer short I couldn't tell you.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Indeed. There may very well be other planets in our galaxy that can support life. Reasons that we may never be aware of each other's existence include:
    • Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is more than 100,000 light-years in diameter. So even though we're lucky enough to be fairly close to the center, if life did, indeed, arise on a planet in another solar system, the odds are that it's so far away that there's no way we will ever be able to be aware of each other's existence. How exactly would you design a communication device that can send a signal coherently over thousands of light-years?
    • Even if these problems can be solved, there's a time displacement as well as a space displacement. If our SETI signal reaches a planet 15,000 light-years from here, it will be received 15,000 years in the future, and the return message will arrive here 30,000 years from now. One or both species may have disappeared, due to natural disaster or a cataclysmic war.
    • And I've been glossing over the problems of actually transmitting a signal over such distances. Talk to a scientist or an engineer about the difficulty of making the signal strong enough to be noticed at the other end. We don't know where anybody is, so we have to send out an unfocused beam in all directions, whose strength will attenuate as a third-order function as it gets farther from Earth.